• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hard Start Solution

zupanj

Reaction score
I finally have a solution to my hard starting Mopar. If my car sits for a couple of days it takes a lot of cranking of the starter and pumping the throttle to get it started. This was true of the 383 as well as the hemi. I am sure it was a fuel issue. I think the gas evaporates from the fuel bowls leaving only ethanol. Then it takes a while for the fuel pump to refill the bowls and to finally start the engine. It would take maybe 3 full minutes of turning the engine with the starter to get it to fire and this can't be good on the bearings. In my case the oil light would not go out so I don't think I had a lot of oil pressure built up doing this.

Anyway I installed a small electric fuel pump near the tank with a switch under the dash. I turn on the switch for 20-30 seconds, pump the throttle a few times and the engine starts right up. This looks like it will really work great. I have only started the car a couple of times since I put the pump in but yesterday the car had not run for at least two months and it started pretty fast. I think I will be quite happy with this fix and wanted to pass it along because I know there were a few threads on hard starting come up over the years.

Jack

V269

Reaction score
I've had an electric fuel pump on my car for years and no starting problems ever. :yesnod: Like you say let the pump run for a few seconds and boom, it starts. :thumbsup:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
If I crank mine the oil light goes out pretty quick but I usually prime it. good solution :thumbsup:

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
as i was reading i thought to myself maybe he needs an electric fuel pump......then you metioned it.....had on for years

dry starts and 3 minutes cranking is no good......glad i bought the 3 quart accumulater.....hit the switch....pre-lube....start

zupanj

Reaction score
I should have added that the electric pump is in line with the mechanical fuel pump. I only run it to start the engine and then I shut it off. I didn't want to change the look of the engine even though it is not close to stock looking with those monstrous Indy heads.

Jack

droptop

Reaction score
I have used electic pumps for a while now. I wire them into the start circuit. It comes on as soon as you start cranking and has gas in about 3-5 seconds. That way you don't have to worry about a hiding a switch, or with my CRS, remembering to turn it off.

Jim S.

Reaction score
sixgunrunner68 said:
Mine runs continuous. Its wired right into the ignition. Any reason why you guys don't do this? Just curious.

Also, what type/make of fuel pump are you guys using?

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
but the world is flat, remember? :D no minis for me.

zupanj

Reaction score
sixgunrunner68 said:
Mine runs continuous. Its wired right into the ignition. Any reason why you guys don't do this? Just curious.

The reason I am set up to use only at start was to keep from pumping fuel into the crankcase if the mechanical pump's membrane would rupture. This was mentioned either here or on Moparts a while back. My car runs fine with the mechanical pump. I only needed the electric pump to start the engine. Of course if you don't have a mechanical pump in line this is a non-issue.

the little high torq starters help crank the engine faster to
get fuel

I have a high torque starter but that didn't seem to make much difference.

zupanj

Reaction score
Jim S. said:
sixgunrunner68 said:

I got a Carter P74029 for mine. Someone on this site was using one. It's inexpensive and it puts out about 5-7 psi which does not require a regulator. I didn't want to use a regulator because I don't like the way they look on a vintage car.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/crt-p74029/overview/

sixgunrunner68

Reaction score
zupanj said:
sixgunrunner68 said:

The reason I am set up to use only at start was to keep from pumping fuel into the crankcase if the mechanical pump's membrane would rupture. This was mentioned either here or on Moparts a while back. My car runs fine with the mechanical pump. I only needed the electric pump to start the engine. Of course if you don't have a mechanical pump in line this is a non-issue.

Yeah I'm aware of the potential issue with that. Guess if all is good without it leave well enough alone. I'm using that same Carter with a Holley up front. Works well, but I'm always checking my oil.
:D

V269

Reaction score
Jim S. said:
sixgunrunner68 said:

That's how I wired my pump too and it is also a Carter pump. Had it for year's and no problem's with it. Actually when I had the race car with a big block and tunnel ram with 2 750 holley's I ran two Carter pump's one for each carb.

Back