• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Headers or not...

DanielB

Reaction score
Im wondering if the performance gain and sound of headers is worth swapping the stock header/manifolds on a BB 383 anyone have any feelings on this?

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
DanielB said:
Im wondering if the performance gain and sound of headers is worth swapping the stock header/manifolds on a BB 383 anyone have any feelings on this?
I hate headers unless its on a go fast car, for a driver you want to have fun with you may as well go for the intake and carb to make them work better and maybe a cam. Threw a standard exhaust no. But hey that's just me :cents:

glhcarl

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
DanielB said:
I hate headers unless its on a go fast car, for a driver you want to have fun with you may as well go for the intake and carb to make them work better and maybe a cam. Threw a standard exhaust no. But hey that's just me :cents:
I agree, headers on a street car may look cool but IMO they are just more trouble than the small performance gain brings.

Moparnut

Reaction score
It has been my experience that you have problems with CHEAP headers and CHEAP gaskets! TTI headers cost a lot of cash, as do good copper gaskets, but they are worth it if you really want headers. A mini starter will also make headers a little less painful.
That being said, unless it's a high compression, big cam motor go with HP manifolds!

mcmopar

Reaction score
Partially agreed. I've had my tti's on since '03 and have had ZERO issues with them. The only time I had to take them off was when I busted the drivetrain at the strip a few years back and had to get the headers off in order to replace the bellhousing, clutch and driveshaft. Once it was buttoned back up I have not had the need to drop them again. And the installation was simply a breeze. The first time they went on moparmoose (my bud Jerry) and I had them up on on the car in minutes. When I busted the drivetrain I took them off AND put them back on by myself.
My car is by no means a big cammed beast. The cam goes 231/237 duration with 110 degree c/l and .525" lift (.560" with the 1.6 ratio roller rockers) which is fairly moderate. But with ported heads, an Edelbrock Performer RPM intake and 750 Holley with vacuum secondaries the headers make all the difference. Mopar Muscle did a 383 build a few years back and with a stock cammed 383 with a stock intake and carb & stock heads they picked up 25 HP and 25 foot-pounds of torque with a set of Hooker Super Comp headers. They then put a Demon 850 and MP M-1 single plane intake on and took the stock cammed, stock headed 383 to 400 horsepower. Adding a Comp Cams XE285HL-10 cam (241/247 @ 110 c/l w/ .545" lift) they notched 450 horsepower - again, with STOCK heads (3 angle valve job, stock sized valves & no porting).
If you are going to use headers save your pennies and get the tti's. As stated, the tti's are expensive but they fit with little to no hassle (at least on a 4-speed car with the stock bellhousing). It's an old saying but never-the-less true - you do get what you pay for.
And BTW - you can use the stock short manifold bolts to hang the headers on - in fact, I highly recommend it. :thumbsup:

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
Moparnut said:
It has been my experience that you have problems with CHEAP headers and CHEAP gaskets! TTI headers cost a lot of cash, as do good copper gaskets, but they are worth it if you really want headers. A mini starter will also make headers a little less painful.
That being said, unless it's a high compression, big cam motor go with HP manifolds!
X2....i agree....spend the money on TTI headers and you wont be sorry.....better yet buy the whole system all the way to the back.....3 inch....engine breaths better....horsepower gain

Moparnut

Reaction score
I have the TTI setup on my '68- 2 1/2" with an H pipe, went right in! The fit is great.

dobie

Reaction score
I have a set of Hooker Comp's and love them. Installation was a breeze, and because I had them Jet-Hott coated, there's been no problems with heat. I'm glad i went with them.

RoadRunner1969

Reaction score
TTI !! Great sound ! I have the CPPO headers which are the forunner of the TTIs.
I love them !

zupanj

Reaction score
When I did the hemi conversion in my bird I decided to use tti headers. They fit great, not a problem anywhere. The only tough part was putting the header and starter in simultaneously. I followed with a complete tti 3" exhaust system and it went in as easy as pie. I am very happy with the whole system.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I've had three cars with headers, and torched two sets off, one because they were rusty, the second because the PIA to change a starter, usually burned up because of the headers. Both were 440s. this car has a 383, and a couple weeks after getting the car, the starter died. with the 383, all I had to do was take out one manifold stud, and the header got out of the way for the starter change. Like the others said, you buy a good set, they will last. as far as sound, you can have the same with manifolds.

BBillyC

Reaction score
TTI's and a 3" system on mine, and they are no trouble. Unless you have the mini starter (I don't) the starter can be a bitch.

mcmopar

Reaction score
Bill - repeat after me..."get a mini-starter. get a mini-starter, get a mini-starter..."
Trust me, you'll be glad you did :thumbsup:

6R9Runner

Reaction score
An engine is an air pump, therefore to gain from headers you also need a better intake, cam, etc. I'm probably not saying anything you don't know, but with my close-to-stock 383 car I'm happy with stock HP maniflds.

My 383 4-spd Charger had Hooker competition headers which burned up plug boots and 1 starter but they sure looked cool. To make some noise I put in race-readies and it was awesome. A couple of my buddies swear by headers for the performance gains in their B-body 440 cars. I helped to install a set of MP headers in a 440 automatic car and we had to remove the starter, and then the driver side pipes needed hammering to clear the mini starter. At the end of the day he was happy, here's what he thought about the swap, just read down the page a bit:

http://www.chargerr.com/THORN.HTM

DanielB

Reaction score
Man I'm still running the stock intake manifold, have a holley 670 double pumper carb, has a comp XE 274 cam which I want to up a bit, I want it to be a street car i dont plan on hitting the track often, its 3 speed automatic i still have the stock torque converter which could be hurting the performance of my cam, ive upgraded the ignition to MSD control box coil and distributer, the motor runs perfect but i just dont feel like im gettin near the power out of it that i want. What order do you guys think i should upgrade this stuff for the best gains, eventually im going to put a 3 inch exhaust with turn downs on it. Like i said i dont want to make it a all out drag car but i do want it to get down when i want it to =P. i also have 3.23 gears which i dont really plan to go up with. but ya i appreciate your opinions on this stuff =D thanks.

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
it seems to never stop on the upgrades but it sounds to me you will slowly be upgrading things.....you have cruising gears with those 323s but if you want worse gas mileage and you want to get to the store quicker id upgrade to 355s or 410s.....headers....3 inch exhaust will give you a more of a hotrod muscle car sound but not too much horsepower gain like 6R9Runner said by not working the top....heads/cam/intake/carb...etc :jester:

mcmopar

Reaction score
I'd look into a good intake. And if you don't want to spend a lot of money but still want good performance find a used Edlebrock DP-4B. I found one a few years back at a swap meet for $50, had it media blasted and painted it. For a street engine they'll make just about 5 less horsepower than the Edelbrock Performer RPM and will still leave you with plenty of hood clearance for your stock air cleaner. Plus, you'll shave 20 lbs of weight off the front end of the car. If you want a new intake an Edelbrock Performer (not RPM) would also work really well with your setup along with a set of 3.55 gears. You can leave the torque converter alone with this setup, but if you need more snap a new 2400-2500 rpm stall unit would be nice.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
mcmopar said:
Bill - repeat after me..."get a mini-starter. get a mini-starter, get a mini-starter..."
Trust me, you'll be glad you did :thumbsup:

the world is flat....the world is flat....... :D

Back