1. Terry Hauck

Terry Hauck Choadicus

Sep 6, 2017
    I want to put headers on my 69 383 Roadrunner. I'm keeping the 906 heads. Looking at TTI and Doug's. Your input and experiences please.

2. RKNRLR

RKNRLR Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2017
    from what i hear tti's are pricey but quality. I waited a bit longer and opted for some custom headers, 2" diameter x 29" length. Im not running any mufflers, so the super long header length helps to keep he car quiet at low revs, and the lack of muffler helps it scream when you step on it.

Russ69Runner and Terry Hauck like this.
  3. Russ69Runner

Russ69Runner Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2016
    Scream when you step on it !!!!!! :lol:

4. Basketcase

Basketcase Keeper of the Green

Sep 10, 2008
    I just changed out the rusty headers on mine. I went with Flowtechs ceramic (made by Holley)
    A lot cheaper than the TTIs. Look good, not a bad install at all. 383 4 speed. Original gear reduction starter. The only things....my heads had the original studs..had to clean out the bolt holes on the flanges with a drill bit. #7 tube needed a couple taps with a hammer to clear the Z bar...nothing drastic. Tube for #4 rubs the inner fender. I have a small leak on #2...shoulda dressed the mounting area to the head. Overall pleased and they sure look a lot better than the old rusty headers. But all in all.....original HP manifolds would work as well, and make life easier.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...7310012-P?searchTerm=flowtech+ceramic+headers

5. Basketcase

Basketcase Keeper of the Green

Sep 10, 2008
    unnamed (2).jpg unnamed (3).jpg

Blacktop Voodoo likes this.
  6. 69hemibeep

69hemibeep Sponge Bob Square Wheels

Sep 10, 2008
    I hear good things about TTI and Dougs just do some research or contact them as to what size tube to use. Bigger is not always better when it comes to headers.

7. Terry Hauck

Terry Hauck Choadicus

Sep 6, 2017
    I have heard others say the original HP manifolds work really well. I have them still. Is there a coating that will keep them looking good?

8. 69hemibeep

69hemibeep Sponge Bob Square Wheels

Sep 10, 2008
    Any powder coat out fit can ceramic coat them. Here is a set I had done, the guy wanted the heat riser left on it. DSCN0945-800x600.JPG

9. Russ69Runner

Russ69Runner Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2016
    Yea have to bend a pipe every now and then to make them fit Basketcase. Used some exhaust paint on some pipes and they looked good for a while then started turning tan ceramic paint for header's. So maybe the powder coating is do able. East wood sell's a kit. You can bake them in the oven. :lol:

10. RKNRLR

RKNRLR Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2017
    This is 100% true. The "expert" at the exhaust shop recommended 2 1/8" pipes for the headers, but after careful consultation with my mechanic, and some calcualtions form some formulas i got from a couple of interesting hot rod articles, i went with the 2" pipes.

Those formulas were bang on, predicted peak torque and HP to within 100 rpm. Definitely worth a read.