• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Headliner Install

dobie

Reaction score
Getting ready to put mine in. Are there any online sources of info out there? So I hear, the factory body manual would cover it, but I don't have a body manual.

I bought a set of clips a few yrs ago for it. The other day in gathering pieces I found another set of clips which I'm told run down over the doors. I only found 5 of them, so I'm assuming I'm missing some. Any idea what they're called and where I can buy them?

Thanks.

droptop

Reaction score
I believe the clips you are talking about are what holds the ends of the bows in place.

dobie

Reaction score
I see. I'll try to get a picture loaded later. So any idea on how many my car takes, and where to get more?

dobie

Reaction score
Well, that's the idea. My only concern is missing a few pieces to it.

generaljmwlee

Reaction score
the clips that hold the bows in are easy to make, broke one of mine putting it in and ended up using some sheet metal to fab a new one.

dobie

Reaction score
Here's the clips Im talking about. I only have 5 with the car. Any idea how many I need, and where to get them?

1-31.jpg
2-30.jpg

dobie

Reaction score
Ok, found them at RT Specialties. I'll give them a call today or tomorrow. Any offhand ideas on how many I need?

Thanks.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I found 4 or 5 on each side of my hardtop but my buddy brought more with him when we did the head liner. They basically held it in place until the glue dried but I left a few up there as I found it.

roadrunner restoration 173 (520x390).jpg

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
SDteve those clips hold the metal trim in. the ones that hold the headlinder in place are C shapped. The headliner isn't that hard to put in, but it is a PIA just trying to get all the wrinkles out. I've seen alot of show type cars with wrinkly headliners, so if you can have a shop do it, it's well worth it. Luckily mine was alreay done when I got it.
So...I take it the steering is fixed?

dobie

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

Yeah, the steering finally got fixed. New bearings were installed in the column, along with the proper 4 speed column itself. What a difference a few bearings make. The steering is a lot smoother. I drove it last Monday, but that's been it. Too busy with work and such. Gotta pay for it somehow though I guess..

dobie

Reaction score
I sure will. The car goes back into the shop next Monday to fix the window channels which werent correct when I brought it home back in July. It'll be another 1.5 weeks, but I'll update this when it comes back home.

dobie

Reaction score
So the shop wont install the headlner. Too much of a pain I guess. I found another "local" guy that will, but he cant take me till next month. I may end up just waiting till next year. We'll see.

I did, however, manage to get the carpet finally in, as well as the back seat interior stuff in. That definitely helps with the appearance.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
a shop won't do it? they're not that bad to do. PIA to get all the wrinkles out though.

dobie

Reaction score
Yeah, the body shop won't install the headliner. To much margin for error they said. I think they're afraid cause they've never done an old one like mine. They recommended a guy/shop about 30 miles away. Id have to take the car up on a Friday evening and get it back the following Wednesday. This is in November tho, so I'm sure it'll be rainy and/or snowy.

Back