• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hello all

Zapa

Reaction score
New member, cool site!
I'm a long time owner of a F3 RM23H 69 RR 4spd hardtop. I bought the car when I was 18 and it was in need of restoration then. At the time I had several old mopars and no experience with restoration. I drove the car alot drag raced it but never did anything for it to improve it. It had the 4spd replaced with a 727tf when i bought it and was a deadly consistant 14sec bracket car. I obtained other projects and learned how to do 95% of what it takes to restore cars but the roadrunner always sat on the back burner and never got any attention because I had a thing for E bodies and 2 Cuda's. Bought a 69 camaro for my racing fix because chevy is cheaper speed and I wouldent think twice about cutting holes in the floor of a camode for a roll cage but couldn't do it to a mopar.
When I was about 25 I started losing intrest in muscle cars. I was routinely getting beat by 4cyl subaru's and getting less than half their MPG. I got sick of turning wrenches, marriage and kids came and all the cars got sold off to buy grocery getters, house, diapers, ect. All accept the Roadrunner. I don't know why I held onto it, but it just got put in the barn and eventually covered in a thick layer of dust and there it sat.

A few months ago I drug it out, blew the dust off and put it under the carport where I could see it every day and make a decision of what I wanted to do with it. The car is amazingly straight and solid. zero rust, you can jump up and down in the trunk. Doors don't sag and open and close with that clean snap you never see in these old 2 doors. Mice wreaked havoc on the headlinder, and probably the wiring, dunno yet. Since it's visible i get no less than 2 people a week banging on the door wanting to buy it, sometimes i'll look out the window and see a pair of feet sticking out from under it :loco: But I think I've made my decision of what i want to do with it. I think I'm going to get rid of it. But I kinda have this craving to restore it first. The restoration part is the only love I still retain from my old mopar mania days. I honestly have no desire to own and drive the car anymore. It's a super easy Resto, only body work it needs is alittle pitting fix around the rear window, and a small "outie" where something slid in the trunk and made a small dent. It has the normal B-body X-member rot on the passenger side right where the torsion bar comes through. Needs 100% interior replacement, steering wheel, console, dash, and passenger seat are really all that survived to the point that they could be used. Carpet, headliner, seat covers all need replaced.

Engine is still amazingly strong for a stock 383. Car is missing only 3 parts. Rear window trim lower L, drivers side. "PLYMOUTH" hood emblem, and Gas cap "<---Stolen"

So now to my question for the experts: with the given description of the car what would it be worth now, VS what it would be worth restored? If I restore this car VS selling it as is am I going to lose money?

69B5

Reaction score
Hi Zapa and welcome to the RR regestry
Whee, you said a mouth full in your intro.
I really don't know where to begin
All of us here are true die hard Road Runner fans
So, we would like you to restore it
But in reallity you would probably be better off selling it as is
Please don't take this wrong but I don't believe you have the interest to restore it
And, most often you can not get back your investment after restoration
So, restoration , in my oppion, is for the enthuest who would keep the car
We're in a down market right now when it comes to selling, but not so when it comes to buying parts
This is just my $.02 worth and I wish you the very best in what ever you decide
69B5

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome!

Fran nailed it. You'll be money ahead to sell as is. The value of the cars has dropped but the price of the parts and services required to restore them has suffered no such fate. Spend 10 minutes searching e-bay; no shortage of already restored cars out there and NONE of them are bringing the crazy money of 4 or so years ago. The ones owned by the guys that use Barrett-Jackson as a their "pricing barometer" never meet reserve and just get relisted and relisted...ad nauseum...:cents:

Good luck either way... :cheers:

:jester:
ACME

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Welcome, as said above you will go underwater in a heartbeat. I would clean it up and make it drivable!

mtdrydock

Reaction score
I have to generally agree with the guys above, unless you had a hemi or A12 in decent condition.

solid gold

Reaction score
Welcome from Missouri! :thumbsup: I can't give any advice, I don't know what I want to do half the time! :yesnod: Sleep on it a few weeks! :cool: Sounds like a great car!

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Welcome to the site, and I couldn't say anything different then has already been said. All good advise.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Welcome!

I moved this up to the "Intro" section. :cheers:

Gotta do some admin stuff once in a while...... :lmao:

Jim S.

Reaction score
Hello from Mn. I am constantly working on mine when time and money allow but, I do have the desire to own and drive it. There is always something to fix or upgrade. I think probably everyone of us are upside down money wise with our Mopars. Good luck whichever route you take.....

droptop

Reaction score
Welcome from Southern Indiana. Fix it good enough to make it a driver and put some miles on it. If that doesn't get your interest up in doing a full restoration, then sell it. :cents:

Zapa

Reaction score
thanks alot for the feedback! If I could break even doing a complete resto i'd do it. I'm not talking about one of those history channel resto's where they slap bondo and cray paper in holes and sell $3000 cars for $11000, but i cant justify it if I don't want to keep the car and it's going to cost me money. I have access to a rotisorie and lots of time due to back injury. But i'll go with what you all are saying and just let it go like it is. Maybe block it out and give it a coat of epoxy to keep it from rusting. Any takers near central PA welcome to drop me a line I'd love to hear some offers from people who know what they are worth. And yes and no to those wondering if they are H wheels. 3 of them are, 1 is a 15x6 cop car wheel.
20110512173054802.jpg

20110512173110780.jpg

20110512173156436.jpg

20110512173232967.jpg

Barn Fresh!

Zapa

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
Looks like it received a Rallye Green repaint at some point...

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

And a piss poor one! Drivers door was descovered to be B5 blue so was replaced at some point. But i did have the build sheets for all my cars including this one in plastic protected folders before an x-girl friend many years ago decided to have a bonfire in my honor to celebrate my faithfulness and torched everything I ever told her was very important. This car had a tach, 4speed, 3:23 gears, AM radio, Console, Manual brakes, PS, non functional air grabber,,,,,that's all i remember off the top of my head. In my defense i was like 22 years old at the time and way less serious about the relationship than she was.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
something to be said for a non pristine paint job. go out and have some fun. no worry about scratches.
welcome from Ohio

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
I would ask 8, take any offer over 6, not be insulted to hear anything 5 and over.

Market is just plain awful right now. Talking with other people selling cars, I have learned that any car for sale right now is considered a desperation move that is expected to be snapped up for peanuts.

I have a feeling that you will be best served to get it in good running order and just enjoy as is.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
Looks like it received a Rallye Green repaint at some point...

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

"right click save" for future black mail file............

Back