• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with 4bbl carb

MuscleCar91

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have a few questions about my 4 barrel carburetor.
First off the car is running rich (Smell gas and lots of smoke along with poor mpg) i'm not having very good luck fixing it. I will admit i don't know much about tuning a carb so i am kind of taking shots in the dark when i try to tune it. I have screwed both needles in and unscrewed them both 1 turn and it ran fine yesterday, Now today i go out and start it up and it's smoking again... Another thing I notice the plate on the secondary gets stuck open about 1/4" inch but there is a screw that looks like i can adjust so it shuts completely, Is it suppose to be open? It runs kind of crappy when i shut it completely.
Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks,
~Nick

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
if it ran fine one day and shit the next you may have some crap in your gas and may need to take apart your carb and blow it out/change fuel filter/new carb base gasket

bstan70rr

Reaction score
You could have the accelerator pump in the wrong position? This solved my problem once:

Locate the little small triangular shaped plate on the top left side (driver side) of the carb. There should be a small clip that has two places it can clip into. Take it out and put it into the other slot. I believe there are small alligator clips holding it in place.

Adjust the carb once more and give it a shot. If that does not work, put the clip back and try something else. If nothing else, you get to find out a little more about the carb.

MuscleCar91

Reaction score
Thanks guys,
I will try out your suggestions, It ran fine but was really dirty then about 3 months ago i bought some carb cleaner, cleaned it and it looks brand new. It ran like crap for a day or two til i assume got the cleaner out of the carb/intake.

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
MuscleCar91 said:
Thanks guys,
I will try out your suggestions, It ran fine but was really dirty then about 3 months ago i bought some carb cleaner, cleaned it and it looks brand new. It ran like crap for a day or two til i assume got the cleaner out of the carb/intake.
so you are saying shes all fixed....great :thumbsup:

MuscleCar91

Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
MuscleCar91 said:
Thanks guys,
so you are saying shes all fixed....great :thumbsup:
No I was too busy over the weekend. I may get some time later today. We'll see...

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
Might have got a little dirt stirred up and covered the air bleds. Little tubes on the top of the carb. That would cause some crappy running.

Back