• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hey you dipstick.......

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
Ok, I bought a new dipstick. Here is a pic of the old and new. What you can't see is that on the new one where it says full when lined up with the old one, it says add on the old one. Any comments? :brickwall:

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
Ok, I bought a new dipstick. Here is a pic of the old and new. What you can't see is that on the new one where it says full when lined up with the old one, it says add on the old one. Any comments? :brickwall:
looks different...put it in ...change the oil and filter.. start...wait a couple of minutes...then check it and mark where the oil is on the stick

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
Only problem is, I'm not sure what pan I have and I'm not sure if the old dipstick is correct. If anyone has one out of the car and could measure from the swell that stops when it hits the block to the full mark, then I would be set..... :thumbsup:

george68hemirr

Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
Only problem is, I'm not sure what pan I have and I'm not sure if the old dipstick is correct. If anyone has one out of the car and could measure from the swell that stops when it hits the block to the full mark, then I would be set..... :thumbsup:

it doesnt matter what pan or dip stick you have ....just fill her with oil and oil filter....5 qts....then read the stick and mark it where the oil line is for full after you started it and then let it drain down for 5 minutes.....done deal

moparstuart

Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
Hoosier Bird said:

it doesnt matter what pan or dip stick you have ....just fill her with oil and oil filter....5 qts....then read the stick and mark it where the oil line is for full after you started it and then let it drain down for 5 minutes.....done deal
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
Hoosier Bird said:

So, what if it's a 7 quart oil pan? Think with your dipstick Jimmy........... :lol:

moparstuart

Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
george68hemirr said:
[quote="Hoosier Bird":s2xw0pdl]Only problem is, I'm not sure what pan I have and I'm not sure if the old dipstick is correct. If anyone has one out of the car and could measure from the swell that stops when it hits the block to the full mark, then I would be set..... :thumbsup:

So, what if it's a 7 quart oil pan? Think with your dipstick Jimmy........... :lol:[/quote:s2xw0pdl]

then dump in 7 quarts jimmy :jester: :jester: :jester:

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
How can I tell what size pan it is? There are no stampings on it....... :brickwall: But i thought that the height of the oil in the pan should be the same in all oil pans. I'm not sure though........... :loco:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
thats what I had to do. when
i got mine, I changed the il, did the 5 qts. never thoght to check it. went for a ride, and when I went thru a turn, the oil press dropped. ended up taking a total of 8 qts. not a deeper sump, but longer.

george68hemirr

Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
What a PAIN IN THE ARSE getting this new dipstick tube in............. :brickwall:

I KNOW ...i started out trying to use the stock one and bend and fit around the tti headers....ended up using a flexable one instead

zupanj

Reaction score
You know I had exactly the same question for this new engine of mine. I don't know if it's a 5 qt or 7 qt oil pan. I also used the same flexible dipstick as George. I don't know how many times I want to pull it out as hard as it was to put in. I guess I will figure it out somehow.

Jack

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
If someone would measure the length of their tube to the block and then measure your dipstick from where it sits on the tube to the full mark, that would tell us how far the full mark is below where it goes in the block. Then that would be where we could mark it because from the block to the top of the oil in the pan should not change regardless of what pan we have.........I guess everyone is just too busy to help us out......... :lol: Good thing I'm the nice guy here........ :devil:

mcmopar

Reaction score
I'm using the stock dipstick with my tti headers. It was difficult to put down the tube but when I flipped it over 180 degrees it went right in. So that's the way it installed - the dipstick is installed upside down - meaning the level markings are face down.

Jim S.

Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
If someone would measure the length of their tube to the block and then measure your dipstick from where it sits on the tube to the full mark, that would tell us how far the full mark is below where it goes in the block. Then that would be where we could mark it because from the block to the top of the oil in the pan should not change regardless of what pan we have.........I guess everyone is just too busy to help us out......... :lol: Good thing I'm the nice guy here........ :devil:
Still a stock 383 auto. I took a piece of coat hanger so I could bend it and follow the shape of the tube. Rolled that on a tape measure, came out 16 1/2 inches. Dipstick measured straight from the bottom of the swell that stops it from going any farther into the tube, to the full mark is 20 3/8 inches. Now if a couple more guys do that, and it comes out the same, you can be pretty sure. I just changed a 4 qt. pan to a 5 qt. one and the dipstick is not lying to me, it takes more oil now......Jim

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Gary, I was busy working in the yard and then later getting my opening weekend College Football fix and didn't once fire up the computer after yesterday morning. I therefore missed most of this. Would you like for me to follow Jim's lead and take some measurements just for comparison's sake or are you good to go now?

Ray

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Here's what I got. Measuring straight from the block to the end of the tube 16 1/4". The stick measured from the full mark to the swell is 20 7/16". Close to what Jim has, so I don't know which is correct. I guess we need a few more to get an average!

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
Gary, I was busy working in the yard and then later getting my opening weekend College Football fix and didn't once fire up the computer after yesterday morning. I therefore missed most of this. Would you like for me to follow Jim's lead and take some measurements just for comparison's sake or are you good to go now?

Ray
If you get a chance you may. With what we have now, the first is 3 7/8 in the block and the other is 4 3/16. Average so far would be 4 1/32. Now I need to check my old one and new one and see which one is about 4" below the swell to the full...........Now we are getting somewhere....... :thumbsup:

Back