• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hi from CT.

bobcal

Reaction score
Just signed on to this interesting site. I live in Brookfield, Ct., am self employed in the swimming pool business, 62 yrs old (and boy do I FEEL old), and received a single lung transplant on 10/25/10. Feeling good, looking forward to the new season and getting stronger.

My first new car was a '69 Roadrunner, ordered from Coppolla C-P in Westport, CT., delivered June '69.
It was a hardtop, 383 4 sp., Ivy Green w/black bench interior. Sport steering wheel, performance axle pkg (3.55 , 8.75 inch rear), N96 Air Grabber hood, Magnums, light package, am radio. A great car! However I married in Feb. of '70, (yes, we're still together!), and Georgia really had problems horsing the 'Runner around with no power steering, so we sold it in the summer of '70. At the time I was in school at Penn State, and the car went to a local guy who worked in a gas station...Milesburg or Bellefonte I believe. Yes, I often wonder if the car still exists.

In 1980 I decided to look for another Roadrunner to possibly restore or just play with. I came across a Jamaica Blue 4 sp. 383 car locally (we then lived in New Canaan, CT). It was still being driven by its meticulous original owner, had 217,000 miles, still with original clutch! But it was rusty...I paid $450 for it, and embarked on a resto of 4 years on and off. It came out well. It was the subject of one of those Power Graphics posters if you remember them. I still have a framed one in our den.

Around 1984 I got the urge to find a 69 1/2 6-BBL car to go with the 383. Found one Hemmings in Missouri, flew out to look it over, bought it for $12,500. Nicely restored car, original A12, Vitamin C, 4 sp. hardtop. A great driver too, very quick.

Finally, also in '84, I decided to try and track down a '69 Hemi that I recalled from my school days at Penn State. I knew it had been sold by the local C-P dealer, Clark Motor Co., in State College, PA. I called them one day and asked if anyone remembered a red Hemi Roadrunner (which turned out to be R4). To my surprise they certainly did; the older gentleman who bought it new from them (who was 57 when he made the purchase) had recently passed away, and his widow still had the Hemi. And, many people in town had been besieging her to sell the car, including Bill Clark, the dealership owner! Well, long story short, I ended up with the car, for $6000, and drove it the 275 miles home to CT. Ran like a clock...the original owner had been a nut about maintenance and never abused the car. It was a Torqueflite, hardtop with black buckets and black vinyl top; had 76,000 miles on it and didn't smoke or burn any oil to speak of. Truly remarkable.

The 'Runners are all gone now, but the memories remain vivid. One of my life goals now is to acquire, or re-create an exact version of my original green 383. Not sure if I'll have the time, but if good fortune stays with me it might happen. I think this site will be a help in the search and an inspiration to follow along with other folk's projects. And, who knows, I might get a line on my old cars..I think I have the VINs filed away somewhere. Time will tell!

sixgunrunner68

Reaction score
Welcome from NY. Sounds like you had some great birds there. We have a lot of fun here so visit often. By the way, I work right across the border in Brewster. Not too far from you. You ever go to Marcus Dairy?

bobcal

Reaction score
Hi, thanks. Yes, I was a frequent visitor to Marcus back when I had the cars and we moved to Brookfield. Around the late 80's through the 90's. Generally took the M code car as it was the most fun to drive. Later I got into Oldsmobile muscle and Corvettes; everything is sold now and I haven't been to Marcus in years. The property is sold and I think the cruises are history. There were always interesting rides there.

Collin

Reaction score
hello from branford, ct! welcome to the site and id love it if you could find me a $6,000 hemi!!

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
welcome Bob from new paltz ny......great story and it would be cool for you to do up another roadrunner....great website here and a great bunch of helpful guys.....we do some ball breaking and its all in fun :D

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Welcome to the bird's nest Bob. I'm in Rocky Hill, that's south of Hartford. If you feel like taking a ride some Saturday evening there is a Mopar cruise in Newington at the Burger King. There is also the Mopars in Motion car club. Unfortunately, we don't have any shows out your way, they are all east of the river. If interested check our web site at www.moparsinmotion.com Feel free to send me a pm if you have any questions! Steve

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome aboard! Great stories. Looking forward to some pics of your old rides when you get a chance.

:jester:

mcmopar

Reaction score
Welcome aboard Bob. Man, a 6 grand Hemi car. I hope you can find a replacement for your GREEN one! inside joke around here as we have a friendly rivalry here about what color is best. Welcome to the Green Team! :thumbsup:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
Welcome aboard! Great stories. Looking forward to some pics of your old rides when you get a chance.

:jester:

and you guys call me Herr Pic Madam..........

welcome from Ohio!!

Back