• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

hotrod98's B5 runner

hotrod98

Reaction score
Just joined up and decided to share a couple of pics of my 69 Runner. It's a B5, hardtop, 383, 727, bucket seat, console car. I bought it from a friend a few years ago and just built a new engine for it last year. When I bought the car it had the original 383 out of my buddy's 69 Vit C runner. He wasn't too concerned about the matching numbers motor for his car, but I was. I painted his car for him a couple of years ago and put a 440-6 in it for him. His car is a pristine car and will eventually be mine. I'm also building an A12 clone for my brother-in-law. We're going to start travleing around together to certain shows. It always looks cool to have multiple cars that are the same. My wife and I have been doing that with our Cudas for years. It seems like most of our friends around here either have a Cuda or a Roadrunner.

mac

What ?
Reaction score
very nice!! were the winged cars put together by you? i have thought about doing that but the expense for the important pieces holds me back.

hotrod98

Reaction score
mac said:
very nice!! were the winged cars put together by you? i have thought about doing that but the expense for the important pieces holds me back.

Yes, I've been building wing cars for a few years now and you're right about the cost of the parts. It becomes almost prohibitive to build one of these things with halfway decent parts. There are a lot of cheap junky parts out there nowadays and that misleads people into thinking that they can build one at a reasonable cost. However, when you start to put the stuff together, then you realize that you're in over your head and that you've just wasted a lot of money on junk. You can easily spend 10 grand to convert a car to look like an original wingcar. Less if you don't do the back glass.
I converted my 69 Charger RT/SE into a Daytona last year. I still need to assemble the front end. I had to stop on the project to work on customer cars. Had to pay the bills.
We've collected the parts to build a Superbird clone for my wife and hope to get started on it later this year. It will be limelight, with a 5.7 hemi 5 speed automatic and we're converting a Coronet R/T hood, the one with the bad to the bone bulges. We still haven't decided what to do with the back glass. There's just not a lot of difference between the stock back glass and the Superbird back glass. To buy the plug, glass and moldngs, you're lookiing at around $3600 so that stock back glass is looking awfully good. We also have a back glass/roof section from a Cuda and have considered using it even though it's about two inches shorter than a bird glass.
If you decide to build a wingcar, contact me first and I'll give you advice based on my experience. They're truly unique looking rides and you would certainly stand out at the local car shows. There's nothing more exciting than seeing a wingcar flying down the highway. I mentioned in another thread that I'm thinking about putting one of my Superbird wings on my 69 Runner. It would be temporary and I would put the car back to original later on. I just want to turn some heads when I'm out driving around. :cool:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
that's a sweet looking runner(even if it is Blue....JK!!!!!! :lmao: )
love to see more, and don't be shy about posting pics of the other cars too.
welcome to the site and don't be a stranger :cheers:

Confederate1969

Reaction score
Hey man, you copied me! :dupe: Just kidding! Looks like you have dang near the same RR I have, B5 post car with a 383 and everything. I know like 96% of the 69's were B5 blue. :D Only difference is you got the 3spd and I have a 4spd.

hotrod98

Reaction score
I sold a 69 B5 blue Superbee last summer to a D.C. member (bigblocksam) in New Jersey. It's a 383, auto, bench seat car and was the evil twin to my 69 runner. I miss that car, but I had way too many cars. Including the Trans Ams, Camaros and other oddballs, I think we have 18 cars now. I've only tagged and insured four or five to drive.
My son is giving me hell for wanting to put a Superbird wing on the blue runner. I placed it on the quarters today and had my wife hold it up. Actually, I think it's going to look awesome. It's only temporary, so I don't want anyone going ballistic on me. I was planning to repaint it later on anyway.
I'll paint the wing and install it this weekend and take some pics.

Confederate1969

Reaction score
Nice Super Bee man. I would love to have one of those one day.

Hope you didn't think I was goin crazy on you about the wing topic. Of course you can do what you want with your RR, just like I will do what I want with mine. :thumbsup: I was just giving my thought on it as everyone always gives me theirs when I ask questions on the board. I'm a Mopar fanatic, but I don't care what a guy does with his own car - SO long as it doesn't involve throwing the car in a ditch for 30 years! :lol:

hotrod98

Reaction score
No offense taken. I'm usually pretty anal about keeping my cars looking original. I guess everything changed when I used my triple black RT SE 69 Charger to build my Daytona. My feeling on the matter is that I kept all of the parts and I can always return it to stock later if I so desire. Same goes for the runner. I'm just trying to find new ways to turn people's heads when I drive down the highway. My wife and I almost cause numerous pileups when we drive both Cudas at the same time.

mjoyner408

Reaction score
gawd DAUMN that is a sweet 71 cuda. nice car man. the 73... well it is a nice 73 but i am not a fan of post 71 e-bodys

hotrod98

Reaction score
This 73 has a late model fuel injected 5.9 with an A518 overdrive and cruise control. Gets 29 mpg at 70 mph with the cruise set. It'll boil the tires and drives like a brand new car. We recessed the side markers, tucked in the bumpers and painted them to match and added a set of gills in the fenders and a 71 gull wing spoiler on the deck lid. This is my wife's car and she designed it and created the custom limelight color. Total rotisserie job.
My 71 is actually a Gran Coupe cloned into a Cuda. It's a 340 car with pistol grip 4 -speed, black leather inteior, overhead console, wood grain cluster, wood grain trim on trim panels, shaker hood, factory rear window louvers, gull wing spoiler and gets 17 mpg at 70 mph.
I also have a real 71 Cuda, factory tor-red, bench seat, 340 automatic car waiting for resto. We have three more 70's and another 72, all waiting their turn. One of the 70's is going to be my new drag car.
Our e-bodies now outnumber our b-bodies 7 to 4.

Back