How to Replace Turn Signal Switch and Harness

Electrical and Ignition

1. ykf7b0

ykf7b0 Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2010
    I'm needing to souce and install a new turn signal switch with harness into my 69 with floor shifted automatic trans. What does this process involve after removing the steering wheel? Should I remove entire column or can I remove the upper collar and complete the job?

Last edited: May 31, 2019
  2. quikbird

quikbird Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2014
    Getting the wiring down the column is fun. Take pictures as you go you can put it back together correctly

3. 69hemibeep

69hemibeep Sponge Bob Square Wheels

Sep 10, 2008

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
    ykf7b0 likes this.
  4. ykf7b0

ykf7b0 Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2010
    I tried for hours to remove the upper collar then I went to Harbor Freight and bought a really cheap mig welder and fabbed up a removal tool similar to the Miller C-4044. Only with the tool was I able to remove the upper collar. I already dread the reassembly step of locking the upper and lower collars to the shaft with the (2) weird headed bolts.
    34ozosn.jpg

5. 69hemibeep

69hemibeep Sponge Bob Square Wheels

Sep 10, 2008
    Ive done a couple and never had them hold like that. Now you have the tool and a welder.

ykf7b0 likes this.
  6. ACME A12

ACME A12 Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator Staff Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Not sure if you have already purchased a new switch or not, but here is where I got mine. Made by one of the original Chrysler suppliers.
    https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/mopa...itches-for-62-63-64-69.172312/#post-911249493
    Dan is easy to deal with and he ships product out quickly. You must pull your terminals from the original connector and reuse the connector.

Those weird, square headed bolts are indeed a pain. IMHO It makes pulling the column out worth it just so you can work on it in the vertical orientation and have gravity do some of the work (properly catching the slots on the outer shaft) for you. You must have some experience with this as you have already noted that they are a PITA, but just FYI or as a reminder, slowly tighten side to side. Tighten too much on one of the nuts and you'll lose the bolt head catching the other side of the outer shaft.

ykf7b0 likes this.
  7. ykf7b0

ykf7b0 Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2010
    Thanks ACME A12 and sorry for the slow follow up but I did get the new switch and harness in. I am also happy to report that I got the weird headed bolts in and secured. I am driving the road runner again with all 4 corners blinking and brake lights work too!

8. Russ69Runner

Russ69Runner Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2016
    Nothing worst than your friendly police officer stopping ya to give you a light out warning. :lol:

9. Basketcase

Basketcase Keeper of the Green

Sep 10, 2008
    shoulda saved your self some trouble. nobody around here uses their turn signals...not even the cops.

10. dmartin

dmartin Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2013
    Yeah the new cars come with an option package either you want the stereo or turn signal, around Atlanta they use their finger and the radio