• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Howdy all, I just got a '69 RoadRunner---my first attempt at restoration

rusty roller

Reaction score
So check it out folks,--- I have never restored any kind of a car, but a few months ago I was pondering what vehicle I would like to restore if I ever did, and settled on a '69 Roadrunner,---not that I had a penny saved up or anything, just kind of daydreaming I guess. Well, lo and behold, a few weeks ago I was helping my recently deceased friend's widow to clean up her property (as he was a hoarder even worse than me), and what did I see in the backyard? Yep, a 69 RR. I could hardly believe my eyes. I asked her about it and she said it had always bothered her to have such an ugly pile of junk taking up so much prime area on her small property (southern CA has very small lots), and she then asked me to help her to get rid of the car for her. I asked her what she thought would be a fair price to ask for it, and she said, "I don't know...$500?" I laughed. I could hardly believe my ears. I later asked her if I could buy it for $500,---ha, not really,---more like $500 a month for 10 months ($5,000), as I did not feel right about taking advantage of her ignorance, for her deceased husband was a friend of mine, she is a good woman, and I attend the same very small church as her.

I have no personal experience with roadrunners, just thought they look way cool, and with performance to match. Like em better than chargers and cudas even. Now this RR is presently no beauty queen. My friend bought it in 1971, and it has been sitting outside broke down with a bad engine since 1981. 38 years!
Car is complete, totally straight, all numbers-matching, 383 with auto trans on the column, with AC, PB, PS, front discs, with original (rough!) paint T5 Bronze Fire Metallic, everything original, and fairly mild rust issues.
Am gonna rebuild the engine myself (another first for me), as I cannot afford to hire anyone.

Unfortunately one of the parts that did not fair very well, rust-wise, was the VIN tag, the numbers and letters of which is barely discernible to my eyes. My VIN tag looks different to me than the other photos of 68-70 RR VIN tags I have seen online. It looks like there is some other tag of sorts underneath the VIN tag, projecting out askew. Please take a look at the photo.
Any one have any thoughts about it?
Thanks!!
Jeff
IMG_20191202_173521110.jpg

RonLiv

Reaction score
Congratulations on the find! I can't comment on the tag question, not sure what's going on there. Some others here might know what that is all about. Anyway, let's see the rest of the car! Welcome to the site.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
That is the fender tag. Detail's of what is on the car. Now the vin tag should be up by the front windshield driver side. Their is an decoder you can look into on the web. That will help tell you what the fender tag is describing. Wish you luck with the project. Would like to see more pic's of the hole car. Glad to see you are going to rescue this runner from it's demise. It is a wonder why their is two finder tag's on the car. But hope some of the more hard core runner owner's will be able to answer your question's. May be you can find the build sheet If not destroyed. Some say it is under the back seat affixed to the back seat spring's lower cushion. Some found them under the carpet front driver's side. This would be a plus if you have a build sheet. Post a few more pic's of the car. We love pic's. I assume you are a new member so welcome to the site. I have a 383 Runner also. But a four speed car. :thumbsup2:

quikbird

Reaction score
it is possible this car might have had enough options that there are actually two fender tags. only way to tell is take the top one off and see.

rusty roller

Reaction score
IMG_20191202_143314427_HDR.jpg IMG_20191202_143314427_HDR.jpg IMG_20191202_143314427_HDR.jpg IMG_20191202_143516569_HDR.jpg IMG_20191202_143314427_HDR.jpg IMG_20191202_143516569_HDR.jpg IMG_20191218_122614352.jpg
Congratulations on the find! I can't comment on the tag question, not sure what's going on there. Some others here might know what that is all about. Anyway, let's see the rest of the car! Welcome to the site.

Thanks!
This car should keep me out of trouble for a while, since it needs so much work, but I am hoping to finish it fast. Little desire (and no money) to make it cherry, but I aspire to make it very decent, like how it might have looked when it was only 10 or 15 years old.
Here's a photo (minus bumper, which I have, and with front fenders wired on):

rusty roller

Reaction score

Thanks!
This car should keep me out of trouble for a while, since it needs so much work, but I am hoping to finish it fast. Little desire (and no money) to make it cherry, but I aspire to make it very decent, like how it might have looked when it was only 10 or 15 years old.
Here's a photo (minus bumper, which I have, and with front fenders wired on):
Yes, my build sheet was under rear seat, should be somewhat straight forward on Vin decode though. Put tracing paper over tag and thoroughly rub with soft lead pencil, letters will pop out. http://www.tpocr.com/plymouthvin6.html

rusty roller

Reaction score
That is the fender tag. Detail's of what is on the car. Now the vin tag should be up by the front windshield driver side. Their is an decoder you can look into on the web. That will help tell you what the fender tag is describing. Wish you luck with the project. Would like to see more pic's of the hole car. Glad to see you are going to rescue this runner from it's demise. It is a wonder why their is two finder tag's on the car. But hope some of the more hard core runner owner's will be able to answer your question's. May be you can find the build sheet If not destroyed. Some say it is under the back seat affixed to the back seat spring's lower cushion. Some found them under the carpet front driver's side. This would be a plus if you have a build sheet. Post a few more pic's of the car. We love pic's. I assume you are a new member so welcome to the site. I have a 383 Runner also. But a four speed car. :thumbsup2:

I did not know that there might be a build sheet in the car! I am gonna be sad if itaint there!
it is possible this car might have had enough options that there are actually two fender tags. only way to tell is take the top one off and see.

Exciting news about the possibility of a build sheet in the car. Did not know that. Thanks! IMG_20191202_143314427_HDR.jpg

rusty roller

Reaction score
Yes, my build sheet was under rear seat, should be somewhat straight forward on Vin decode though. Put tracing paper over tag and thoroughly rub with soft lead pencil, letters will pop out. http://www.tpocr.com/plymouthvin6.html
Good idea about tracing paper and soft lead. That technology had not occurred to me.
Thanks for that link, too.
Hope that build sheet is waiting for me!

rusty roller

Reaction score
Looks like an inspection tag underneath some what common

Hmmmm.....I was kinda hoping that mine was the only one with 2 tags in the history of Mopar, but thanks for setting me straight on that. : )
Photos of fender tags I saw on the Internet all showed only one tag.
Thank you again.

Rich B

Reaction score
What a honey of a find. The only other thing I could think of if double VIN is are they identical or different? Could be parts were taken from another runner, motor or such and that’s ID from that donator- good documentation. Or exactly what they would do with those at assembly, put extra VIN under other, save and continue on. Or maybe different engine say at last second on line?

You also have the Belvedere edition, not Satellite. Has flip open rear quarter windows, not roll up. And yes rocker panel moniker only on passenger side and left-handed lug nuts for right side lol.

Last edited:

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Now that I see the car it is a good find for sure. It takes time and money to bring these car's back to life. Thank goodness it is in CA. the metal hold's up well in that area. Not like the rest of the country except for places like AZ. Good luck nice find. This look's to be a good project car. Russ. :thumbsup2:

dmartin

Reaction score
Welcome from the peach state with the wave, the journey begins just take your time do a little at a time don’t spend all your money on things you may not need and have fun, you got a lot of us guys who have been there done that and have the trophy it took me twelve years to be able to have fun and drive it, so good luck

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You also have the Belvedere edition, not Satellite. Has flip open rear quarter windows, not roll up.

Nope. Nope. Nope... Rich I'm afraid that this just isn't your strong suit... NARROW window trim in front of the break between the door and the quarter is the tip off. So is the lack of a hinge bolt at the back of the quarter window. If the FT was legible the RM23 would be the nail in the coffin.

Welcome aboard Jeff. Nice score.

bigmanjbmopar

Reaction score
Welcomelooks like another T5 has been found! That is awesome!

21NqLcu

Back