• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Howdy all, I just got a '69 RoadRunner---my first attempt at restoration

rusty roller

Reaction score
Now that I see the car it is a good find for sure. It takes time and money to bring these car's back to life. Thank goodness it is in CA. the metal hold's up well in that area. Not like the rest of the country except for places like AZ. Good luck nice find. This look's to be a good project car. Russ. :thumbsup2:

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Say rusty roller how is the car coming along. What have you done to it since you got it. Well post some pic's when you have a chance just to keep us up to date on your project. Russ. :thumbsup2:

rusty roller

Reaction score
Thanks for asking. Keep in mind that this is my very first attempt at restoration. I have obtained a few parts, and have found out about the cost of new upholstery, the approximate cost to rebuild the engine, etc, and I have put a lot of thought into the project, and it has all been very stimulating and enjoyable,--except for a piece of news I got today. I have a few rusted out areas around the right and right-lower side of the rear window, as well as a badly rusted section about 18" long near the bottom of the right rear quarter panel (the only considerable rust issues). So since I have no experience at doing body work, I took photos and showed it to a local body shop with a good reputation in San Bdno, CA. I was mentally prepared to hear them say that it might cost me as much as $1,000 to just get the metal replaced, which I was just barely willing to pay. I could hardly believe it when the guy said it would require about 150 to 200 hours of work, at $60 per hour!!!! The math comes out to $9,000 to $12,000, a fortune to me. And they could not get to it for 1 to 2 years! When I told them that would not work for me, they then provided me with a phone number of someone who might be willing to buy the car as is. Gee thanks. It was at that point, that I decided to learn metal fabrication. I aint skeered (well maybe a little). I have no aspiration of making this a perfect showroom car any way, just a really nice driver. Just trying to bring it back from the dead, after 38 years being broke down. I can barely afford this project, but I am fairly resolved.
Have decided to keep it T5 Bronze Fire Metallic.
Car came with all 5 original rims, as well as 5 quite attractive aluminum rims in the trunk. I want to use these non-original rims, but the rear rims are wider, at 8.5", and are 14". I cannot find any tall and wide 14" tires, to save my life, so I think I will stay with the original rims, which I actually like almost as much.

rusty roller

Reaction score
Welcomelooks like another T5 has been found! That is awesome!

21NqLcu
Welcomelooks like another T5 has been found! That is awesome!

21NqLcu
Thanks for the welcome.
Wish the paint was in nicer condition, and I would then leave it alone. Feel compelled to repaint it T5.

rusty roller

Reaction score
Welcome.... luv the bronze color.
At first, I thought I would paint it a different color, like green, actually, but the bronze has grown on me, and I am now quite happy with it.
Think I will not restore the original vinyl top though.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
IMG_0101 (1).JPG IMG_0104.JPG IMG_0106.JPG Here are some pic's you will need a Mig welder to do the work. A mini grinder to cut the metal. Got my welder for EastWood. Part of this area is the quarter and the roof is the other part. Have seen this area replaced On other runner's by making the piece with a metal brake or bead roller. Some one had tried to make it all out of Bond o on this car and man what a mess. This one had leaked for so many year's even part's of the inner frame was gone as you can see as well as package tray. I would get with some guy's that have hot rod's in your area and ask them who they used or if they know of someone that can make you piece for you to weld back in their. Their are videos of 69 runner's restored and I looked at a lot of them. Sorry to say having a shop restore a car is not cheap. Doing it your self save's money. You can learn how to fix these area's your self. What you save on labor at the shop you can buy the tool's needed to fix the car. Or can get body panel's. Their are some patch part's for these area's at AMD. Good luck post some pic's of the area you are concerned with. Harbor freight has Mig welder's that are Ok that is a wire feed rig with argon gas. Russ.

RAINMANYEH

Reaction score
Once you have a fresh coat of paint on her and she’s glistening like a new penny, I think you’ll love the bronze color even more!

roadrunninMark

Reaction score
Hi Rusty, I don't know if was mentioned yet but if you take the fender tag off and flip it over, you might be able to read it better from that side. It is usually protected from the elements and can be more legible.

Rapid Transit

Just A Traveler In Time
Reaction score
My "advice" on this first classic car restoration situation.
Focus on mechanics. Get the car drive-able first.
Ignore the cosmetics and bodywork for now.
Leave it as original as possible.
And Bronze if brilliant.
I'm partial to T7 myself.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Want to say Rusty Roller when taking the car apart take lot's and lot's of pic's. You can not have enough pic's. Maybe even run a note book and catalog all the part's. I bagged part's and label them but did not get too pacific with each part just location. That would save time on the nut's and bolt's. Hope to see more pic's as you move forward on the car. :beep:

Back