• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I’ve been had

Andy

Reaction score
Been driving around for a few years.,took my car off the road to do complete bodywork etc. so I checked the motor and noticed stamped at the block is B383 Maltese cross 11 4 2.obviously a swapped motor.was told matching no’s blah blah.only thing I didn’t checkSo what the hell have I got, any help thanks

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Looks like a 1966 assembly date with an undersize crank or over size bore. I don't remember for sure which the maltese cross was for

Andy

Reaction score
Ok Thanks All .Now ummm I’m wanting to rebuild, having finding this out should I not bother , what is the main difference between this engine and r/r engine . Maybe try an source a 440 block and start from scratch, your view?

torredcuda

Reaction score
Only minor differences between a regular 383 and a rr 383 HP, mainly just slightly hotter cam. I have my matching numbers engine and it will look stock but I built it up a bit for more torque and HP but nothing crazy as it`s going to be a nice cruiser. I would just build up your `66 383 how you want and unless they climb under it no one will ever know it`s not the factory engine.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
5 Horse power difference is pretty easy to make up. The main difference is the 440 cam was used in the HP383. I would be more interested in what heads are on your 383.

Andy

Reaction score
I’m not really fussed about the having the numbers on the side block ;more interested in what’s inside.You mentioned’what type of heads.How can I check? Under the valve covers?

Last edited:

Terry Hauck

Choadicus
Reaction score
My 69 came with an early 383 block, but they told me it was not a numbers matching HP but it had all the HP parts. It did. It ran well, but it leaked and burned a little oil. I rebuilt it with the 906 heads, KB flattops, a bigger cam, RPM Performer intake, 650 Holley, and headers. It runs and looks great. I would rebuild yours. Unless you want to take it to the track a 383 is fine. Your call.

383.jpg

Last edited:

Andy

Reaction score
5 Horse power difference is pretty easy to make up. The main difference is the 440 cam was used in the HP383. I would be more interested in what heads are on your 383.
Slight delay.thanks ,it has 2843906 heads

Back