• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I found a 360 what to look for

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I'm a big block guy so I need help. Is there any difference in blocks what kind of castings do I look for, Heads, the crank I'm not as concerned about cause I will probably stroke it.

moparchris

Reaction score
Let me see..... um IIRC blocks cast before 1973 are a little stronger. As with the 440s this could be a wives tale. I have bored them .060 over and had no issues. Sonic check them to make sure. I did have a .040 late model block, 1978 casting, that did have horrible ring seal and turned out that the cylinders were out of round even though it had just been bored. I have had great luck with the early blocks and try to use them if I can, they also have a different thrust bearing that is more heartier than the late model. As far as heads are concerned, well the 915 is a good head and can be used to make up to 500 hp in a pump gas situation, when ported. I recommend the Indybrock or the W2 if you want to make 600+ especially in a big inch stroker. Check out Shadydell speed shop for lotsa small block info. Bryan at Indio Motor Machine is very small block savvy. :cents:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Chris has you pretty well zeroed in here. I like the earlier blocks too - always heard that they were a tad thicker at the cylinder wall also.

As for the heads I too like the 915s if you go the cast iron route. Recently I've read lots of stuff about building SBs with the Magnum heads - but have never done so myself - might be another option to consider if you don't want to go the aluminum route. By the time you completely rework an old set of cast irons you're pretty much at the same $$$ level as a set of Eddys - especially if you can score a good used set. About four years ago I bought a NIB set advertised in the St. Pete Times for considerably less than what they sold for new. They ended up as part of the deal that brought Bambi home or I'd be telling you to make me a resonable offer...

How mild or wild are you going with this thing anyway? Tell us what you want to do so we can help you hunt down some parts...

:jester:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
Chris has you pretty well zeroed in here. I like the earlier blocks too - always heard that they were a tad thicker at the cylinder wall also.

As for the heads I too like the 915s if you go the cast iron route. Recently I've read lots of stuff about building SBs with the Magnum heads - but have never done so myself - might be another option to consider if you don't want to go the aluminum route. By the time you completely rework an old set of cast irons you're pretty much at the same $$$ level as a set of Eddys - especially if you can score a good used set. About four years ago I bought a NIB set advertised in the St. Pete Times for considerably less than what they sold for new. They ended up as part of the deal that brought Bambi home or I'd be telling you to make me a resonable offer...

How mild or wild are you going with this thing anyway? Tell us what you want to do so we can help you hunt down some parts...

I want it to tear the tires off yet drive well, what does an aluminum headed B or RB weigh compared to an all iron LA. It seems Cubic inches would accomplish what I want if its not to heavy. Although I do have a line on this 360 that I need to act on.

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
I want it to tear the tires off yet drive well, what does an aluminum headed B or RB weigh compared to an all iron LA. It seems Cubic inches would accomplish what I want if its not to heavy. Although I do have a line on this 360 that I need to act on.

Typical all iron LA engine will weigh about 500 - 550 lbs. I think an all iron RB is about 650 - 700 lbs. Never read a weight for an aluminum headed RB...but I'd guess it would knock quite a bit off the total weight...

Aluminum-headed, stroked LA is what that puppy needs... :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
69hemibeep said:

Typical all iron LA engine will weigh about 500 - 550 lbs. I think an all iron RB is about 650 - 700 lbs. Never read a weight for an aluminum headed RB...but I'd guess it would knock quite a bit off the total weight...

Aluminum-headed, stroked LA is what that puppy needs... :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:

Yea, I'm thinking I would get a better balance car that rout. Now I'm getting lobbied by the Mrs. for a Girlimatic :toetap: Came to find out the free Tremec is to weak

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Now I'm getting lobbied by the Mrs. for a Girlimatic :toetap:

Run, Forest, Run!!! :lmao:

Maybe she, Mrs. ACME, and Uncle George can go in on a group buy for some ATF... :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity I have a 727 that I use for parts for my sand jeep which has an AMC pattered 727 is the only difference between an LA an a R or RB trans the hole below the starter because this one has a threaded hole below the starter stud not that I am going to use it just curious as to whats been in my garage for the last three years :popcorn:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Just out of curiosity I have a 727 that I use for parts for my sand jeep which has an AMC pattered 727 is the only difference between an LA an a R or RB trans the hole below the starter because this one has a threaded hole below the starter stud not that I am going to use it just curious as to whats been in my garage for the last three years :popcorn:

The bellhousing bolt patterns are different for the LA and the B/RB/Hemi.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
69hemibeep said:

The whole pattern is different ? I thought it was one bolt :huh: Like I said I'm in a learning curve with LA engines. And you didn't seem to be impressed with my run on sentence :lol:

abodybill

Senior Citizen Member
Reaction score
Looking for a weight loss bolt up a 904 to a stroker 360!!

That's what's going into the Dart and out comes the 340/727.

Also I'm not going to put $600-800 into 30 year old heads on my 360 for $1400 you can put on Eddy's and run good in a small block.

Also the 360 stuff is priced reasonable vs. the 340.

Bill

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
ACME A12 said:
69hemibeep said:

The whole pattern is different ? I thought it was one bolt :huh: Like I said I'm in a learning curve with LA engines. And you didn't seem to be impressed with my run on sentence :lol:

Yes, the entire bolt pattern...

You have us confused: Chris is the authority on run-on sentences...I specialize in purveying useless information... :lol:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Ray, or anyone else, everything I have read says the easiest way to determine witch trans you have is that a bolt goes threw the block into the trans below the starter for a small engine. They may have different patterns but is it visible without having a block to compare it to. The trans I have looks similar to my Hemi bell housing but it has a threaded bolt hole below the starter. ??? :huh:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Here ya go Bob. B/RB on the left and LA on the right. If you don't have anything to compare to you can always count the little torque converter dust cover bolts at the bottom of the belhousing; four for a big block and two for a small block.

Ray

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
Here ya go Bob. B/RB on the left and LA on the right. If you don't have anything to compare to you can always count the little torque converter dust cover bolts at the bottom of the belhousing; four for a big block and two for a small block.

Ray
Thank you :thumbsup:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
ACME A12 said:

Ray

You're welcome!

Go ahead and ask me a few more SB-related questions - it'll give me an opportunity to join you in the 5,000 hit club... :lol:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
69hemibeep said:
[quote="ACME A12":9z91y0zy]Here ya go Bob. B/RB on the left and LA on the right. If you don't have anything to compare to you can always count the little torque converter dust cover bolts at the bottom of the belhousing; four for a big block and two for a small block.

Ray

You're welcome!

Go ahead and ask me a few more SB-related questions - it'll give me an opportunity to join you in the 5,000 hit club... :lol:[/quote:9z91y0zy]
OK, If you didn't mix up your right and left I have a big 727 in the ol parts bin. Thank goodness that won't fit :lol:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Here is the casting # 4006830-360-r 1976-80 any thing wrong with these $75 for a long block sounds good but he bought it as is and has never opened it. :popcorn:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Here is the casting # 4006830-360-r 1976-80 any thing wrong with these $75 for a long block sounds good but he bought it as is and has never opened it. :popcorn:

Sounds good to me! :thumbsup:

moparchris

Reaction score
Sounds good too. Dont go putting a freakin power robbing 727 behind a small block. 904 all the way. :banana:

Back