• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I think the 484 has to go

sam z

Reaction score
Yes, it has a 484 cam, installed in the early 90's. Fast low down:
'72 440 HP
Bigger valves and hemi springs installed along with cam (OEM heads)
Holley dominator intake (same time frame)
Holley 4779 750 carb (same time frame)
Cylinder leak down came back with good results a few years back
OEM stall with new tranny in 2015

I've been doing some reading on swapping out this cam. Sounds like there are a million better options in 2016. I don't need the rumble,
low vacuum, and poor drivability of this cam. It has it's defenders out there, but seems to be a lot of better options available. I don't race
this car. I want to cruise with my family and not stink of gas and exhaust when I use it.

And...Mac did a superb job of getting this car much more agreeable to use a few years back. The car just needs to be more mellow.

Chime in. Please.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mac has a Bob K A12 cam in his car. How do you like that? If that isn't mellow I don't know what is.

stevo

Reaction score
I am not a cam expert but.....
the person who built my 440 has had great success calling comp cams and giving there tech the engine specs and have them grind a cam to suit the engine.
Also you could try Racer Brown, I know he will grind one to your liking.

good luck.

Ranger

Reaction score
Bought mine (383) with a radical cam. I had almost the exact same scenario, low vacuum, and poor driveability. It was no fun to drive. Called Comp (they where very helpful) and told the tech what I had, what I didn't like and what I was looking for. He suggested a cam & lifters. I bought and installed it and couldn't be happier.

mac

What ?
Reaction score
that Bob K cam is mellow and it's funny how the grass is always greener because i am thinking about changing to something a little more exciting. another suggestion is talking to Dwayne Porter about a cam.

moparchris

Reaction score
What ever cam manufacturer you go with you want a cam with a wide LSA (lobe seperation angle) this reduces overlap (intake valve and exhaust valve open at the same time) and will make a huge cam seem like a stock cam. More and more manufacturers are going to this model. The old purple grinds (which your Hemi grind is) have a 106 LSA and idle like crap, have a very narrow but very powerful power band. The wide LSA spread out the power band and mellows the idle misfire.

ykf7b0

Reaction score
Yes, it has a 484 cam, installed in the early 90's. Fast low down:
'72 440 HP
Bigger valves and hemi springs installed along with cam (OEM heads)
Holley dominator intake (same time frame)
Holley 4779 750 carb (same time frame)
Cylinder leak down came back with good results a few years back
OEM stall with new tranny in 2015

I've been doing some reading on swapping out this cam. Sounds like there are a million better options in 2016. I don't need the rumble,
low vacuum, and poor drivability of this cam. It has it's defenders out there, but seems to be a lot of better options available. I don't race
this car. I want to cruise with my family and not stink of gas and exhaust when I use it.

And...Mac did a superb job of getting this car much more agreeable to use a few years back. The car just needs to be more mellow.

Chime in. Please.

You will need more convertor stall and possibly more engine compression if you go with anything even close to the 484 Purpleshaft. Or, go with a much smaller cam.

CompSyn

Reaction score
Just to be perfectly clear in case I was not - I was not disparaging the Bob K cam. In fact I have one in the new engine that is going into my A12.

I understand. I didn't think you were "disparaging" Bob's cam.

I too have Bob's cam going into my engine. In my case, it's a 383 Road Runner engine. I suspect it will have a little more rump, sound/idle wise, with the 383 combo versus a 440. I understand the 440s with Bob's cam are sewing machine quiet. But I think under wide open throttle, see video, the Bob K cam sounds more muscle car authentic versus the average run of the mill computer design cam.

I think if one is building a resto type engine with stock manifolds, the Bob K cam is about as good as it gets. On the other hand, if one is using better flowing heads, intake and using headers over exhaust manifolds, then a Racer Brown or Dwayne Porter grind will likely be a better way to go.

:cheers:

CompSyn

Reaction score
I'm running Hughes aluminum 1.6 roller rockers just to pick up the pace a little bit with the Bob K cam. A nice improvement over the stock stamped steel originals that usually only provide about 1.4 despite being advertised @ 1.5.

http://www.hughesengines.com/TechArticles/3rockerarms282007.php

I thought about aftermarket rocker arms as well. Two things swayed me. (1) They won't fit under stock valve covers. (2) Additional parts to go wrong makes me a bit nervous. Not much to go wrong in a stamped piece of steel.

One of the things I like about the Bob K Mr.6Pack camshaft is he makes allowances in his cam profile to make up for the lack of a true 1.5 rocker arm ratio found in stock rocker arms.

Back