• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Intake

wannarunner

Reaction score
I'd like to switch to an aluminum intake, aside from an Eddy carb my 383 is all stock. Anyone reccomend a better than stock intake (i want to stay duel plane) that doesn't require upgrading my cam/heads etc.....

Thanks!

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
wannarunner said:
I'd like to switch to an aluminum intake, aside from an Eddy carb my 383 is all stock. Anyone reccomend a better than stock intake (i want to stay duel plane) that doesn't require upgrading my cam/heads etc.....

Thanks!
I'm sure someone with experience will chime in but if you have an airgrabber keep in mind clearance issues

wannarunner

Reaction score
your right, I did forget that tidbit of info.... I have a non-grabber. I am looking at 383 Performer-RPM, its taller than stock, anyone with first hand knowledge?

mcmopar

Reaction score
Performer is a good alternative - especially with an essentially stock engine. It will allow the use of your stock air cleaner and look stock to boot.
The Performer RPM won't offer much more than the standard Performer with an essentially stock engine so I would not waste your money on one. From my experience a drop base air cleaner is necessary for hood clearance with the Performer RPM but others say they have had no problem with hood clearance using the stock air cleaner.
If you plan on some extensive mods down the road like a bigger cam, headers and some port work on the heads the RPM will definitely give you more power.
I know you want to stick with a dual plane intake but a really good single plane to consider is the Edelbrock Torker 383. I have run the Torker and it is a really good single plane that has more than adequate bottom end torque. It tops out at around 5500 rpm which is right about where a stock 383 will start floating the valves. Another good thing about this intake is that it may provide a slight increase in fuel economy on the highway. It did for me. The only down side of the Torker is that it can be a pain to install since you must start the 4 inner bolts in the intake during installation. You can't install them otherwise due to the runner placement.
You can check out a 383 intake manifold comparison here:
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/hrdp_0712_mopar_intake_manifold_comparo/edelbrock_383.html
See pages 6,7,8. The funny thing is - the old Edelbrock DP-4B which is now out of production did just as well as the newer designs on this mild engine. If you can score one from ebay or craigslist for $50-$100 you'll be just as well off as you would be with a Performer or Performer RPM on a stock HP 383 and you'll save a good bit of cash.
Here is what my engine looked like with a DP-4B back in '03. I wish I hadn't sold that intake.

V269

Reaction score
I ran an Edelbrock Torker 383 for year's and it was one of the best manifold's I ever owned. My engine now has an older Edelbrock Streetmaster dual plane on it and it too is a very good manifold. I run a Holley 750 dp on it and also have an air grabber set up and everything fit's great. I think the streetmaster may be similar to the DP-4B which I think I also had at one time. Correct me if I'm wrong. :thumbsup:

moparchris

Reaction score
I ran a Performer RPM on my stock 383 (exhaust manifolds and all). I loved that intake. With a 383 and a 750 double pumper on top it ran DEEP into the 13s. The Performer is no better than a stock intake, although much lighter. I had no hood clearance issues with my stock air cleaner. :cents:

wannarunner

Reaction score
Thanks for the info/link guys, I'll have pics soon....... :drive:

a6t9vette

Reaction score
I have a DP-4B on mine as well (picked up on E-bay last year). Stock hood (Non air grabber), stock air cleaner and no clearance problems......

wannarunner

Reaction score
a6t9vette said:
I have a DP-4B on mine as well (picked up on E-bay last year). Stock hood (Non air grabber), stock air cleaner and no clearance problems......

Tks! :beep:

CompSyn

Reaction score
Love the DP-4B! That's what I got for my stock looking 383 build.

Thanks for the pics!

BTW, a6t9vette, what type of engine paint did you use? Your engine really pops!!!

mcmopar

Reaction score
I think you guys who say that the Performer is no better than the stocker need to take another look at this comparison of intakes Hot Rod Magazine did a while back. On a mild 383 the Performer holds its own with the DP-4B and the Performer RPM.
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/hrdp ... brock.html
Once you start getting into some heavier mods like porting and bigger cams the Performer loses its luster but on a mild street engine it is really no worse than many of the other aluminum intakes and a good bit better than the stock cast iron unit. :cents:

droptop

Reaction score
He states that his engine is stock except for carb. The intake change will do nothing for performance over the stock unit unless he changes heads, cam, exhaust, etc. That was the point I was trying to make.

mcmopar

Reaction score
I wouldn't say "nothing" - there is a little improvement to be had but I agree that to really notice improvements other mods should be done - the least of which would be the addition of a set of headers and a better carb. Headers, carb and intake should net at least an additional 30-40 horses and as much in lb-ft of torque as well.
With just an intake swap he might get 10hp at most. In that case I'd look to grab a cheap used aluminum unit in the $50 range.

mtdrydock

Reaction score

mcmopar

Reaction score
mtdrydock said:
According to Mopar Muscle you can unlock 80hp from your 383 with just changing headers, intake and carb.

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/techarticles/mopp_0209_383_engine_restore/index.html#

I think a performance dual plane like the Edelbrock RPM piece would net you nearly the same amount of ponies as the M1, but give a substantial gain in low to midrange torque over the M1.

:cents:

I used that very build as a basis for mine. Deviations from the story on my build are:
Ported 452 heads w/2.14" intake valves and 1.81" exhaust valves
Performer RPM intake manifold
Holley 750 vac. secondary carb modded to 4 corner idle capability
Comp Cams XE275HL-10 cam (231/237 duration @ 0.50 w/.525" lift)
CAT 1.6 ratio roller rockers resulting in .560" lift
TRW L2293 domed forged aluminum pistons (installed by a previous owner)
Balanced bottom end (previous owner)
TTI 1-7/8" headers and 3" dual exhaust

The 383 in the story made 450 HP with stock heads, MP M1 single plane intake, Hooker headers, Demon 850 carb and Comp XE285HL-10 cam (241/247 duration @.050 w/.540" lift).
The cool thing about their 383 was that it made 400 HP with all the mods while still using the stock MP cam (268/284 adv. duration w/.450" intake & .455" exhaust lift) "road runner" cam. That's smokin'!

mcmopar

Reaction score
wannarunner said:
I'll surprise you guys on what I got...... :yesnod:

Did you get an Edelbrock Torker or Holley Streetmaster? :jester:
Both are also good intakes. MP M1 dual plane is a good choice for this combo as well. Only worth about 5 HP over stock but it looks stock and weighs less. :thumbsup:

Back