• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is the engine really running hot?

earlyrides

Reaction score
My wagon with a 440 engine runs at 210 on my Autometer gauge and it has me a bit concerned since I will be using it to tow my Runner to Vegas later this month.
The sensor is plumbed to the side of the block because my dash gauge is in the water pump housing.
So is it REALLY 210 or is it reading higher because it is right next to the bang bang going on in the cylinders?
My dash gauge is at a reasonable position.
My radiator is new.
The engine is a freshed up tried and true 440 form a friend's charger that never ran hot.
The thermostat is a 160 degree unit and brand new.
The antifreeze is a 50/50 (self blend)
Do you guys think the gauge would read lower if I put it into the top of the water pump housing?

wagon.jpg

wagon engine.jpg

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I think your in a hot spot :yesnod: I can't see one in the pic but I would put a shroud on that bad boy before I towed anything.

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
i did spal dual fans with shrouds.......worked for a while them threw them out and went back to the stone age original equipment and runs......160-180 with a 160 stat.....too cold.....went to a 180 and runs all ay 180-200....stock MP water pump/flex fan/shroud.......work"s great.......make sure you drill a small 1/16 hole in thermostat so you system dont get air bound

earlyrides

Reaction score
I drilled the air relief hole in the t-stat too.
I think I will move the sensor up to the water pump housing this weekend to see if it makes a difference.

cj69RR

Reaction score
Sweet wagon. I think it will be better to move the sensor and you will be happy withe the temp. The stock gauge should be straight up to be running the 180-200 degrees.

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
earlyrides said:
I drilled the air relief hole in the t-stat too.
I think I will move the sensor up to the water pump housing this weekend to see if it makes a difference.
a shroud will make a big difference too

earlyrides

Reaction score
update: I moved the sensor. still reading high.
So I decided to improve the cooling dramatically:
New 440 source hi output water pump
New aluminum radiator.

Result: running at 180 now. WhooHoo!

dhansen_69RR

Reaction score
Hey all fellow roadrunners! I figured I would post my question on this thread seeming it's about my issue. Today I was driving and my stock temp gauge went from cold to past the H. I pulled over and the needle went back down some. I ended up driving back home (luckily I was just down the street when this happened) and swapped out the thermostat. I purchase a duralast 180 degree (since 180 was in the housing). Once I added the coolant back and made sure no leaks I took it out for a spin. I guess my question is where is a good reading on the stock temp gauge? Before I had this issue I never saw it get to the middle mark (Second mark from C). It would always stay in the middle of the C and 2nd mark. Now it's reading always at that second mark. I will take it out tomorrow to see if it changes. I ran it with the heater on and off. I just want to make sure thats a good mark and I should be good :) I can post a picture if my words are confusing lol Thanks all!!!

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Straight up center of the gauge is about the norm on my car. The big wide U in the gauge is the operating range but I start getting a little concerned at 2/3 of the gauge if it doesn't cool back down at a cruise

dhansen_69RR

Reaction score
Here is a picture of what mine is staying at

FEBEA60B-C867-426D-A654-319B4FE5A1E7-2694-0000028546908D28_zpsa368d6d3.jpgDD41780A-77D4-4969-A2EC-B5783ACBF300-2694-000002854AC815DC_zpsd4757033.jpg

Also could someone explain to me the upper U shape before it gets to "Hot"? I'm just trying to get a better understanding of this gauge instead of installing a new temp gauge to make sure I'm not running hot.

Thanks all!

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Like said above its the operating range but look at the difference in gauges. :huh:

roadrunner restoration 208 (640x480).jpg

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
put a manual guage in for the piece of mind. mine stays at 180-190, unless its 90+ and stuck in trffic.

dhansen_69RR

Reaction score
Wow that is crazy how mine is off center. I was wondering why it was off... hmmm.. Well I guess it's running fine if I go by your gauge.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
I have both the stock and aux. gauges. Normal temps are around 185 with the factory gauge needle more or less pointing straight up.

dhansen_69RR

Reaction score
Okay so I changed out the thermostat in the car and it ran great for the next several days. The car has been sitting for about 4 days now and I took it out today. I drove it around the block a few times and it acted normal. I decided to go for a drive a few hours later. I was driving down the road just fine and decided to turn the heater on. I turned it on heat and fan on high and temp on high. It seemed after a few minutes my temp gauge went to H. I turned the heater off but didn't really do much. I kept driving and the needle went back to half but every time i slowed down it started to creep back towards H. I made it back home and parked it. I just got my water temp gauge and hope to install it tomorrow so I can see what kind of reading I can get from that gauge. Do you guys think the new thermostat is bad already? Did turning the heater on high cause an issue? Just not sure why that would happen. I checked the level in the radiator just before I left and it was normal.

Back