• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this rear end authentic ?

ashy22

Reaction score
68 roadrunner.jpg

Hi Guys,

I am very interested in buying this 1968 roadrunner with 383 in the attached picture but i am not sure about the correctness of the rear end as far as originality is concerned.

Are the decals correct?

Does it look OK?

I am in the UK by the way, so is the car.

Thanks in advance

Ashy22

68 roadrunner.jpg

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
besides the decal on the driver's (left) side, it looks correct to me, but I'd loose the anntenna. should be on the right fender.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
As far as I know the only letters on the rear panel are the Plymouth name and no bird decals. If that bird is in color that is not correct for '68, they should be in black and white. The colored birds started in '69.

4spd69RR

Reaction score
The decal on the left driver side is not correct, The other side has the emblem and running road runner. I've attached another example.

dsc_0070[1].jpg

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
now that's a good looking Butt(even if it is Red:acme:)
Steve, yes and no. In '68 you got the black and white birds on the doors,decklid, and dash...unless you ordered the dercor Package, which got you the stainless tailpanel on the trunklid and chrome tips, and got you the colored running bird on the tail panel.

Moparnut

Reaction score
It's missing the black paint stripes on the finish panel and in the taillights. The back window looks like a 4 door car to me, anyone else think so?

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
It's missing the black paint stripes on the finish panel and in the taillights. The back window looks like a 4 door car to me, anyone else think so?

I think its just the angle on the rear window pic, the trim goes into sharp corners at the bottom

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
It doesn't look like a 4 door to me either.

Wrong exhaust tips.

ashy22

Reaction score

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
That one looks nice. I'd like to see the fender tag to see if it was ordered with black door paint on the interior. I'd go look at that one.

ashy22

Reaction score
That one looks nice. I'd like to see the fender tag to see if it was ordered with black door paint on the interior. I'd go look at that one.

Just found out that it's got no power steering and no power brakes :(

Is this bad or doesn't it matter?

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I would too, and unless you find something bad, I'd bring this one home.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Sounds like a mans car :lol: Mine is all manual, it stops fine but the steering is heavy in parking lots, but I have a much heavier engine over the front tires. Wait for some more opinions.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I actually prefer my manual steering. but I don't have your tight streets. but after not being able to drive my for over a year I may change my mind...
actually the manual brakes and steering,four speed was the way the '68s mostly came IIRC. big engine,no frills, pure American muscle cheap price.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
As I mentioned in your other thread I think this car is a better choice. A good friend of mine has a '68 RR, 383, manual everything. I've had the pleasure of driving this car several times and the steering in that car is not all that heavy. It's really not hard to turn, especially after getting in that car after driving my own RR with PS which is very easy to turn.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I actually prefer my manual steering.

Same here. PS back then was over-assisted and offers very little feel for the road. I don't want it unless the box has been completely reworked by someone like Steer and Gear to offer a better driving manners. :cents:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Same here. PS back then was over-assisted and offers very little feel for the road. I don't want it unless the box has been completely reworked by someone like Steer and Gear to offer a better driving manners. :cents:
I swapped a Steer And Gear box into my car and it made a big difference. The original box was very easy to turn, I could easily use one finger, but I was constantly chasing it going down the road. Even when going straight I was sawing away to keep it going straight! The new box has a modern power steering feel to it. Firm yet still makes it easy to turn in tight places. I'm definitely not chasing it all the time now and I don't ware myself out over steering it while driving now.

Back