• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this rear end authentic ?

ashy22

Reaction score
Unfortunately the 4 speed manual RR has been sold (must have been a good one).

That leaves the pale blue RR which is still for sale but I don't fancy because as you more knowledgeable guys have pointed out, doesn't look quite right.

I will have to wait for another to come up. There is no rush and would rather wait and get the right one.

The more I look at them the more I am attracted to the 69 model with its cleaner rear end.

Only trouble is that they are as rare as rocking horse droppings over here in UK.

I may have to consider importing one from the states. :)

Thanks again for all you guys that have steered me in the right direction.

One last thing...........I've seen a lot of 69 RR's for sale in the US on youtube. Some of them look amazingly good..... even better than new.

What are the pitfalls when buying these restored RR's if any

Cheers

Ashy22

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
the trouble buying any car that has shiney new paint,especially one that you cannot see in person, is the quiality of the work. just what might be hinding under the shiney paint. Mopars, like any car, have their areas that tend to go bad, depending what area of the country they are from. If you consider buying one over here, you need to have someone trustworthy to inspect it for you.

ashy22

Reaction score
Just found out some good news about importing classic cars into the UK.

The rules and taxes have been lifted somewhat.

Back in 1993 when I imported my Vette from Jacksonville Fla. I had to pay 10% import duty and then 17-1/2% of that total in VAT (like a purchase tax) on top of that, so it was a hefty increase on top of the original price of the car when it got back to the UK.

Today I see that as long as the car is over 30 years old and in driveable condition and is not a business venture then the duties payable are
0% (yes...zero!) on import duties and 5% on VAT (purchase tax)

So say a $25000 RR shipped back to the UK will cost an extra $1500 for shipping and $1325 tax (5% of $26500).

So roughly an extra $3000 for the car back to UK. Much better deal than before and the fact that there will be loads more cars to chose from over in the states.:cheerful::cheerful::cheerful:.

I like this one already. http://www.ebay.com/itm/151116333057?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

:)

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
green post car...sweet! just a couple things. incorrect air cleaner,and the tailpipes, you can see the bracket on the exhaut tips(wrong shape) but the tail pipes have no hangers. not crazy about column shift, but that's a personal preference. Beautiful car.

pinkpanthr

Reaction score
The original car in question is not a bad example. Someone has added a decal to the left side of the finish panel, the right side bird in color is correct for 68. The antenna is an aftermarket add on. the exhaust tips ar incorrect, and the tail lights are from a 68 gtx. besides the antenna, those are all cheap easy fixes. If the price is right I wouldn't let it knock me off the sale.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
welcome pink, that didn't take long! pop up to the into section and tell us about you and your '68.

pinkpanthr

Reaction score
Also the green car is not a factory color. Someone has had it painted a color they like but ma mopar never sold any like that in 68. 10 gets you 20 that isn't a numbers matching car and it's a satellite clone. Has chrome grille not correct. 69 hood inserts, and all of that interior is repop. Thats decore style interior but doesn't have the emblems and there is no finish panel on the rear. That one is just as incorrect as the original car.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
not all '68's had the finish panel. you had to order the decor package, which got you the panel and exhaust tips.

pinkpanthr

Reaction score
not all '68's had the finish panel. you had to order the decor package, which got you the panel and exhaust tips.

Correct, but it has decor style seats (not door panels) no decor package emblems in the seats, and with some decor parts and not others looks to be a clone to me.

ashy22

Reaction score
The original car in question is not a bad example. Someone has added a decal to the left side of the finish panel, the right side bird in color is correct for 68. The antenna is an aftermarket add on. the exhaust tips ar incorrect, and the tail lights are from a 68 gtx. besides the antenna, those are all cheap easy fixes. If the price is right I wouldn't let it knock me off the sale.

The guy selling the blue car (Is it Hawaian Blue ??) also emailed me some other pictures showing the underside etc...

I will try to upload them later this evening.

Thanks for taking an interest.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I noticed the seats, and just figured they were recovered

pinkpanthr

Reaction score
I noticed the seats, and just figured they were recovered

That is most likely the case, I figure that this is either a car that someone restored using simply what they like i.e. the non matching interior pieces non factory color, or it's a clone. I can't say for sure but from the pics the torsion bars don't quite seem thick enough to be the heavy duty that were standard. And it looks as if there are no seatbelts at least in the rear of the car because the bolt hole where they should be anchor are empty. Not a huge deal but those at least need to be plugged so no water gets in. It gets pretty wet in the UK!

pinkpanthr

Reaction score
My only other red flag is the 69 hood inserts. It's next to impossible to find the correct ones for 68 as no one makes a repop. But if its the factory hood that came on the car its also next to impossible to lose them. or for them to be damaged enough to need replacing. I'm not trying to pick the car apart, it's a beautiful car. But the original question was about correctness and this one to me is no better than the original car. Definately would like to see some more pics of the original in question.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I had spotted the rear seat belt holes too.the OP would definatly need someone trustworthy and mopar knowalagable to check a car out if buying over here.

Back