• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It's been a year since I disassembled my 383. No progress...

Confederate1969

Reaction score
Got finished taking the engine apart December 2008. Here we are a year later and all the parts and pieces are exactly where I left them. I went into this project knowing I wouldn't get this rebuild done quickly and that it may take a few years. But I always had the idea that even if it came together a part at a time, it would indeed progress however slowly. But it just seems like this isn't meant to be for right now with the way the world is going. All I can manage is "a dollar in a dollar out." The two luxuries we have are the internet and lowest grade satellite tv. No going out to eat, very few movies ever, etc. The hell of it is, my income would have had me living the high life in 1990. But money is devaluing so quickly that it barely pays the bills anymore. For crying out loud I've been trying to save up for practical things like a sidearm lately. Crime is up a lot and I'm tired of feeling vulnerable when I'm out. Just coming up with $500 for a .45 auto is like pulling teeth from a hungry lion. So thinking of things like engine parts has pretty much "gone with the wind" to quote a fine novel and movie.

My wife calls me overly paranoid, and I really do hope she's right. But I just have this shitty feeling things are really going to fall apart in America some point soon. That feeling leaves me with a sort of "what's the point" thought with regard to the RR. If I spend money and time on it, only to have America go to pot, what good is a muscle car going to do me? I don't lose sleep worrying about stuff, but I guess the political situation just has me thinking negatively and pessimistically about the future.

I hate to say this, and I've been in denial about it all year, but I pretty much have to declare the RR on hold indefinitely. I just don't see any way around my situation. :( I'll still visit the board of course as the learning and drooling over cars will never stop. As soon as the universe throws me a financial bone and brightens the skies with an honest to God conservative congress and administration, I want to get back to the RR.

Commies aren't cool. They rob us blind with taxes and inflation, leaving our Mopars to rust.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Well... I had to think about this for a little while before I responded.

You're a little younger then most of us here, I think you know that. There is no doubt the world is a bit upside down right now. Everywhere you look, things have gone a little crazy..... just as it goes.... we go down and then we go back up. We had a spell like this back when Carter was president. Run away inflation, high unemployment, gas shortages, we were the laughing stock of the world..... Then it turned around again and we were sitting on top of the world again.

I had a history teacher once tell me that "history repeats itself" and I didn't believe it at the time.... I believe it now. One great thing about this country is we always recover from our problems and come out ahead. Right now we are down... but not out. 2010 is going to be different. We have a chance to make some changes in the direction the country has been heading and I feel the public will step up to the plate and pull the right levers in the voting booth.

That said, look around a bit. You do have a roof over your head, food on the table, a family I'm sure that loves you and a Roadrunner in the garage that will still be there when you can get to it.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Well said John. I too had to step back and try and look at it from your perspective and when I had a young family. As John said we had a bump in the road at about the same age I thought it was over for the muscle car thing and sold my first Hemi car, big mistake. I some how have to think you have other guns to protect your family with and save the $500 for now, although they are not a bad investment either. Hang in there and ralley around the next election :beep:

dobie

Reaction score
I feel your pain. 2 years ago I went thru a divorce which has left me on the verge of bankruptcy. My ex wife wanted out so bad that she up and left, sticking me with the house and all of the debt. I've fought a seemingly uphill battle to just keep the house. Buying a house on two incomes is one thing. When 1/2 of said income leaves, well, you get the idea. Along with the house, I took on all of our joint debt. Not good. It was all of that, or sell the house in this crap market, take a huge loss, then find somewhere to live.

As of now, I'm on the verge of being laid off. 13 guys are gone Jan. 4th. I'm currently setting at #25, so if there's another round, it'll include me.

Times are bad for everyone indeed. The best advice I can give you at this point is to do what you're doing. Take time off from your car. Like mine, it's not costing you anything by storing it. If it's in a garage the weather won't affect it, and she'll be ready to go when you are. When I get depressed sometimes it does me good to go out and look at her. To me, our Road Runner's were the most beautiful cars produced. The body lines are truly amazing. Somehow, I always feel better after sitting with her for just 10 minutes. I have no history with my car as you do with your's. That has to be a wonderful feeling knowing your father drove this very car, loved it, and made sure it came to you one day. Trust me, your car won't hate you for not completing things right away. She'll always be there, ready to go as soon as you are. Guys like you and I don't have the money, or the knowledge to do this ourselves. We're reliant upon good finances, and lots of help from family and friends.

Take care of your family first, but I know you have been. As for the firearm purchase, well, that's always a good thing in my mind. I've had firearms LONG before I got into cars. Even with selling off most of them thru the divorce, I've still got a few. I'm starting to replace them now even. Sure, that money could be used for the car, but, with the world going the way it is, I feel better having a few handguns, rifles, etc. tucked away in the safe.

Anyways, take care. Sorry this is so long, but I'm going thru much of the same. Remember, your car won't hate you for not working on her. You will, however, hate yourself if you ever sell her on a whim.

Merry Christmas bro.

mcmopar

Reaction score
Well said, bro. I've been out of a full time job almost 2 yrs now but so far we've managed to hang in there. I was contemplating selling the car if push came to shove but so far it hasn't come to that thankfully.
You are smart to put the car on hold. Being younger has its advantages in that, Lord willing, you have the time to sit on it for a little while until things improve. As has been said, take care of the important things first. Luxury items like the car can wait - even though it sucks to be stuck in the pits. Keep yur chin up and just keep on going. Do what you can to keep the home fires burning and trust that everything is going to work out. Oh yeah - and has already been said, make sure you vote in the next election and do everything you can to get rid of the pox that has come upon us all!

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I agree with what the others have said. I remember the Carter years quite well. I'd have to say things were at least as bad then. I live in the Ohio Valley. Steel Mills all over the place from here to Pittsburgh,Pa. Most are gone, and the few remaining are a shell of their former shelf. When I was in High School, I started working at a family style resturant. I went to work full time there when I got out of school. I remember when the mills started closing, and I was working next to guys the day before were at the mill making good money. The top wage for a cook was $5 an hour. There was even a husband/wife working there.
These times are part of the reason so many muscle cars were parked back then.I've had new pair of 1/4s hanging in the garage since I got my car, with no time in the forseeable future that they will go on. My wife shut down her busniess last summer, so it's all on me. Even with 21 turn, and a bunch of doubles this year, things are really tight. God help us if I get sick/hurt. House payments,the electrci bill,etc ,have to come before the toys. It's not alwayd fun to be the grown up. But, that road runner is yours. It's not costing a dime to sit there. If you don't have it inside, oil it down, cover it good, and bid your time. It does get frustrating. But, your day will come. And, if you were to sell it, you'll still have bills. i've found that out the hard way. You've got more reason than most of us to hang onto that Plymouth. You're not the only one, as you've read here.Don't be a stranger. That's what this place is for. So.....pull up a long, crack open the favorite adult beverages of your choice, and let's forget our troubles!

Confederate1969

Reaction score
Thanks fellahs. Makes me feel a bit better. I didn't live through the Carter era, but I do remember how damn good Ronald Reagan made everyone start feeling about American again. I hope we can get to that. I'll never sell my RR, but it's just a shame to have to mothball it. But you are all correct. At least it doesn't cost me a dime to leave it sit there in the garage. I guess I just need to know that this current nosedive we're in will go away at some point.

moparchris

Reaction score
Keep your chin up buddy, like everyone else said, times are tough for everyone. I think with all the ridiculous and borderline criminal stuff that has happened recently with our government, we need a correction. Unfortunately its hits the average American hard. Moth ball that Plymouth and get to it when you can. The government can take your money but they cant steal your dreams. I wish I had my dads Runner, which is posted elsewhere here, so my vote is to keep it. Times will get better, we can learn that from history.

Merry Christmas

Confederate1969

Reaction score
Getting rid of my dad's RR was never something I was going to do. It's all just an issue of being strapped for the foreseeable future. I'd lose the house and everything and be living in the backseat of the RR before I ever get rid of it. :yesnod:

roadrunnerh

Reaction score
Sounds like you are going through a tough stretch! Hang in there, things will improve even though it may look bleak. I remember there was a time when I was in a down turn and I was actually considering selling my newer daily driver and was considering using the Road Runner as a daily driver. It never came to that, but I was ready - I would NEVER sell my car. Hang on to yours and like eveyone is saying, she'll be there when you are ready.
Maybe there are some things you can work on (I'm not sure the state your car is in) but perhaps you can sand something down, primer a part, clean something, chase down a weird electrical issue, organize your garage or parts - basically anything you can think of that requires very little, if any money at all. The idea is to feel as though you ARE making some progress. Merry Christmas and God Bless!

Jim S.

Reaction score
Just like Big, I had to think before answering this. Yeah it's 4:30 in the morning, and I'm up because my stupid back is killing me. This has also caused my income to take a hit. Only working part time now but, hey if there is a will, there is a way. I refuse to be a Government controlled victim. I have always been good at electronics so, I started repairing amps, PA's, etc. for local musicians out of the house. I'm thinking that you could also do something on the side to, at the very least, to get yourself a 45. You are not paranoid, the country is going to crap. I have the original engine for my RR on a stand in the shed. I cannot justify re-building it right now because family comes first. I just fog it with stabil, turn it over, and wait until I can afford to do it right. The bad times in our lives are what makes us stronger. You cannot sell the RR. It is your identity. I'm a old burned out Vietnam vet who is "mad at the world" but, hey I'm still alive, got a house, a family, and a Roadrunner in the garage. You do too my rebel brother. Things will find a way to work out.
I'm sorry, I know that was too "windy" (Mein Colonel) :lol:

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
:lol: I really hope we are all a little paranoid. But, if we are not, I'm ready for anything they throw at us.............. :thumbsup:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Good responses, gents. All except for the guy with the one-liners complaining about the wind... :lol: JK, Gary... :D

I gave the computer the day off yesterday to play board games and hang out with the family. Although I missed this series of exchanges in real time, it matters not because I couldn't have added anything of any substance to the thoughtful & insightful responses already posted. Hang in there Rebel, we'll bounce back as a country and things will right themselves. The Silent Majority is already rumbling; just google "Tea Party" and you'll find proof all over the country... As for your personal financial situation...patience pays...just keep doing what you're doing...

I think we're all experiencing similar financial discomfort. I've already been apprised that there will be no yearend management bonus for 2009 so I'll lose roughly a third of my income for 2010. But I still have a job - and I watched what happened at Pan Am & Eastern (remember I'm an aviation guy) so I know what happens when everyone in an organization doesn't want to share in the burden during lean times; you end up with no job to complain about. So I'll accept my reduced income and just keep working, thank you very much. My company/industry will bounce back too eventually and then maybe I can get Bambi that new coat of B5 that she so richly deserves...until then I'll just enjoy the primered old warhorse the way she is... :D

Ray

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
Good responses, gents. All except for the guy with the one-liners complaining about the wind... :lol: JK, Gary... :D

I gave the computer the day off yesterday to play board games and hang out with the family. Although I missed this series of exchanges in real time, it matters not because I couldn't have added anything of any substance to the thoughtful & insightful responses already posted. Hang in there Rebel, we'll bounce back as a country and things will right themselves. The Silent Majority is already rumbling; just google "Tea Party" and you'll find proof all over the country... As for your personal financial situation...patience pays...just keep doing what you're doing...

I think we're all experiencing similar financial discomfort. I've already been apprised that there will be no yearend management bonus for 2009 so I'll lose roughly a third of my income for 2010. But I still have a job - and I watched what happened at Pan Am & Eastern (remember I'm an aviation guy) so I know what happens when everyone in an organization doesn't want to share in the burden during lean times; you end up with no job to complain about. So I'll accept my reduced income and just keep working, thank you very much. My company/industry will bounce back too eventually and then maybe I can get Bambi that new coat of B5 that she so richly deserves...until then I'll just enjoy the primered old warhorse the way she is... :D

Ray
Ray was that you trying to light your shoe on fire in Detroit yesterday :lmao:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Ray was that you trying to light your shoe on fire in Detroit yesterday :lmao:

Nope. I only blow up original equipment Hemi mufflers... :lol:

John69RR

Reaction score
Been there, done that and survived. Times do get tough Confederate but don’t despair. Things have a way of always coming back around. I’ve come close a few times to selling mine. Losing half of an income is tough. We experienced that after we adopted our daughter. My wife took time off from work and the plant initiated a 5% overtime policy at the same time. The car sat for a while and it didn’t look too good, but we managed to get through it. Going into the garage and seeing the RR was my “break”. Even if I just cleaned up some parts I knew someday that we would enjoy the good times. Keep your chin up. The Man upstairs has a plan for you. As for society, what do you think OUR parents thought when the 60’s were closing out and the 70’s were starting? Riots in Cleveland and Detroit, demonstrations and who can forget Kent State? It will get better.

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
John69RR said:
Been there, done that and survived. Times do get tough Confederate but don’t despair. Things have a way of always coming back around. I’ve come close a few times to selling mine. Losing half of an income is tough. We experienced that after we adopted our daughter. My wife took time off from work and the plant initiated a 5% overtime policy at the same time. The car sat for a while and it didn’t look too good, but we managed to get through it. Going into the garage and seeing the RR was my “break”. Even if I just cleaned up some parts I knew someday that we would enjoy the good times. Keep your chin up. The Man upstairs has a plan for you. As for society, what do you think OUR parents thought when the 60’s were closing out and the 70’s were starting? Riots in Cleveland and Detroit, demonstrations and who can forget Kent State? It will get better.

what everyone said is very true...when i was your age and was just getting in the ironworkers things in construction was very slow just like it is today.....you have to be a jack of all trades and do things on the side.....my brother and a buddy and i used to do roof jobs as well as hardwood floors ,sheetrock,insulation,building homes,car mechanic,bar tender,bouncer and whatever we could do to keep going besides ironwork....like everyone said things will turn around and we will get thru this and keep your roadrunner....good luck to ya ....i know you can do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
and I can't tell you how much seat time I had in Freebird. It did give me hope for the future. I'd do that now, but no heat in the garage.....

Back