• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just got some bad news from moparmoose

mcmopar

Reaction score
One of our fellow board members, moparmoose (my buddy Jerry) called me yesterday and told me his car was lost in a fuel fire on Saturday. Some of you may recall his blue road runner clone. He took the car to get fueled up, returned home and shut it off as usual. Later, when he went to start it up again there was an explosion and a large fire started. He had time to shut off the Holley elec. fuel pump and the fire seemed to subside a bit but by then the fire had plenty of other fuel as it devoured the interior and underhood areas. Unfortunately, the only insurance he had on the car was the bare minimum - nothing to cover a loss like this. The car is a total loss. All he can do now is sell off parts - engine, trans, rear end, etc. It's a sad day to say the least.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
That's terrible sorry to hear that, at least he had enough sence not to get hurt.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
That really sucks to hear John. I understand that sometimes you have to try and save some money, but unfortunately you sometimes end up losing more then you save. Is there any idea what could have caused the fire?

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
Glad he is OK. I have had two fires and things have worked out OK for me, but it isn't the best way to spend a day for sure.

mcmopar

Reaction score
Roadcuda said:
That really sucks to hear John. I understand that sometimes you have to try and save some money, but unfortunately you sometimes end up losing more then you save. Is there any idea what could have caused the fire?

Not sure - but circumstancial evidence points to a fuel leak somewhere in the engine compartment area, possibly ignited by the headers or an electrical spark. There isn't any way of knowing for sure right now. Unfortunately, unless Jerry wins the lottery, there will be no replacing it. At least he still has the red truck.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Man, what a shame. Tell Jerry that I extend my condolences. He just seems to have nothing but bad luck with his toys...

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I truly feel his pain. Glad he didn't get hurt. I know too well that not having proper insurance will bite you in the ass.

moparchris

Reaction score
I am sad to hear this news, a terrible loss. I am glad he is okay though. A sad day for sure. :sada:

roadrunnerh

Reaction score
That's horrible news! Like others have said, at least he didn't get hurt.
Insurance - enough of it - is a MUST.

moparmoose3

Reaction score
i want to thank each and every one of you for the kind words. it really helps. the reason i didn't have the ins. needed on the car is that every one i contacted told me it had to be garage kept. so until i could find a garage to keep it in i only had the minimum you need to have it on the road plus uninsured motorist. to look at the car it looks real nasty but hey i can make it into a drag car. i know it wasn't a carb backfire as the air filter and assembly are still there. it didn't even burn the filter. so i figure it started on the right side of the motor. course that's the fuel side. i have no dist. now but all the plug wires are still attached to the plugs and weren't burnt. everything above the valve covers as in dist. , all the wiring and such are gone. it didn't burn the carpet in the car but it took out the entire dash, the windshield , door panels , seats are burnt some and the rear seat is burnt some. i haven't taken pics yet, i was hoping john could get down here to go over it with me. i would want someone that knows what's going on when they look at something. i'll go out tomorrow and take off the hood. i've still got the fiberglass six pak hood, so i'll put it on the car. that way i'll be able to get to the motor and see what's going on with it. i don't think the motor was hurt any. i just think it's all the body and wiring. i'll take some pics and post them soon. thanks again for the support.

moparchris

Reaction score
moparmoose3 said:
i want to thank each and every one of you for the kind words. it really helps. the reason i didn't have the ins. needed on the car is that every one i contacted told me it had to be garage kept. so until i could find a garage to keep it in i only had the minimum you need to have it on the road plus uninsured motorist. to look at the car it looks real nasty but hey i can make it into a drag car. i know it wasn't a carb backfire as the air filter and assembly are still there. it didn't even burn the filter. so i figure it started on the right side of the motor. course that's the fuel side. i have no dist. now but all the plug wires are still attached to the plugs and weren't burnt. everything above the valve covers as in dist. , all the wiring and such are gone. it didn't burn the carpet in the car but it took out the entire dash, the windshield , door panels , seats are burnt some and the rear seat is burnt some. i haven't taken pics yet, i was hoping john could get down here to go over it with me. i would want someone that knows what's going on when they look at something. i'll go out tomorrow and take off the hood. i've still got the fiberglass six pak hood, so i'll put it on the car. that way i'll be able to get to the motor and see what's going on with it. i don't think the motor was hurt any. i just think it's all the body and wiring. i'll take some pics and post them soon. thanks again for the support.

Hey Jerry, I know its probably a real bad looking situation right now. Maybe after you sort through the rubble it may be fixed over time. Just a thought. Sorry for your loss.

mcmopar

Reaction score
When Jerry called me right after it happened it sounded like the car was totally toasted but after talking last night it doesn't sound as bad. I'll try to get down there soon to have a look. We may be able to get it back up and running. I came into a dis-assembled '68 rr parts car a few years ago for free and kept most of the parts so whatever I can donate will go towards getting the blue bomb back up and running. I've got the windshield and some wiring harnesses and a lot of pieces that may be handy. :thumbsup:

Back