• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Known 1969 Hemi Road Runner Convertibles

RoadRunnerJD

Reaction score
The story I heard from the owner's nephew was that the original owner was married to an heiress. His wife was 30 years older than him. She had a twin sister who was also married and they all lived in the same mansion together. He previously owned a Chrysler Plymouth dealership, was friends with Chrysler executives, yachts, partying, etc. The older woman would have never enjoyed such a life style had she not married the younger man. His previous car was a yellow 67 Hemi GTX convertible.

69Hurstsc

Reaction score
Thanks for posting the backstory on the Y2 car!

As far as the Pennsylvania Red car I gave that a bit of chase. I think it was a Vitamin C car. If you have info on a Red one I would love to hear it.

Here it was at a show in PA. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=559687627520535&set=pcb.1095837677095082&type=3&theater

Here it was at MECUM where it was a no-sale at 80K. That seems extremely low for a real Hemi RR convertible, even if the Hemi was long gone. https://www.mecum.com/lot-detail/SC0512-126661/0/1969-Plymouth-Road-Runner-Convertible/4-Speed/

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Thanks for posting the backstory on the Y2 car!

As far as the Pennsylvania Red car I gave that a bit of chase. I think it was a Vitamin C car. If you have info on a Red one I would love to hear it.

Here it was at a show in PA. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=559687627520535&set=pcb.1095837677095082&type=3&theater

Here it was at MECUM where it was a no-sale at 80K. That seems extremely low for a real Hemi RR convertible, even if the Hemi was long gone. https://www.mecum.com/lot-detail/SC0512-126661/0/1969-Plymouth-Road-Runner-Convertible/4-Speed/

No where in the ad does it say the car is a J code.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
No where in the ad does it say the car is a J code.

Would not have had the road wheels if it was a J code either. I don't think it's an original Hemi car.

car-equp16.jpg

69Hurstsc

Reaction score
The ad reads odd. In no way I'm I stating this is a Hemi convertible. I was simply referencing a car that is out of PA that fit that description. Besides, if we were solely basing evidence of it being a Hemi car on wheels than the Y4 car has to be discredited as well.

Would not have had the road wheels if it was a J code either. I don't think it's an original Hemi car.

car-equp16.jpg

69Hurstsc

Reaction score
Know how I figured out the cars were one in the same? Look at the decal on the radiator support. It's the same on both cars.

Either way it's most likely not an original Hemi car.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
I didn't believe it was a real Hemi car based on several other "tells" that I've noticed in correctly restored or original cars. While no single one (including the wheels) would disqualify it from being a true J code car, put them all together and they speak volumes. Honestly, the wheels were noted mostly because we have been discussing the 14" road wheels in other threads.

69Hurstsc

Reaction score
Dan - Your car was the one posed in front of that Mansion by one of the bigger classic car dealerships, correct?

View attachment 10140
Here's #5 Mine was the first one known by Galen Govier to exist: Y2, two tone tan bench interior, column automatic, PS, PDB, PW, tach, tinted glass all around, A01, AM radio and white top. I restored it about 90% and sold it before I finished it. It lives in Ontario now. I have heard of an undocumented red one in NW Pennsylvania and there is supposed to be a white one from AZ or maybe the LA area?

RoadRunnerJD

Reaction score
I guess you are asking me (John)? It was being brokered by Legendary Motorcars out of Ontario a few years ago. It mentioned me in the ad as being the previous owner...as if it might add some pedigree to the car.

Last edited:
Back