• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

LETS PICK ON ITALIIANS TODAY

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
Let's pick on the Italians today

Why do Italians hate Jehovah's Witnesses?
Italians hate all witnesses.

Do you know why most men from Italy are named Tony?
On the boat over to America they put a sticker on them that said TO NY.

YOU KNOW YOU'RE ITALIAN WHEN.....

You can bench press 325 pounds, shave twice a day and still cry when your
mother yells at you.

Your mechanic, plumber, electrician, accountant, travel agent and lawyer are
all your cousins.

You have at least 5 cousins living in the same town or street.

All five of those cousins are named after your grandfather or grandmother.

You are on a first name basis with at least 8 banquet hall owners.

You only get one good shave from a disposable razor.

If someone in your family grows beyond 5'9", it is presumed his Mother had
an affair.

There are more than 28 people in your bridal party.

You netted more than $50,000 on your first communion.

AND YOU REALLY, REALLY KNOW YOU'RE ITALIAN WHEN....

Your grandfather had a fig tree.
You eat Sunday Dinner at 2:00 pm
Christmas Eve...only fish
Your mom's meatballs are the best.
You've been hit with a wooden spoon or had a shoe thrown at you.
Plastic on the furniture is normal.
You know how to pronounce and spell "manicotti" and "mozzarella".
You fight over whether it's called "sauce" or "gravy".
You've called someone a "mamaluke"
And you understand "bada bing"

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
When I was in the Air Force one of my best buddies was a NY Italian named Giuseppe (Joe) Marinelli...OMG that guy was a riot...he was always telling real life stories - that were just like this joke... :lol:

:jester:
ACME

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
When I was in the Air Force one of my best buddies was a NY Italian named Giuseppe (Joe) Marinelli...OMG that guy was a riot...he was always telling real life stories - that were just like this joke... :lol:

ACME
Where were you stationed?

george68hemirr

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:

ACME

you was in the USAF???....what did you do for our country???

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
ACME A12 said:

ACME

Russian Linguist. Stationed at Lackland (DLI), Goodfellow, and McConnell

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
My brother was at KI Sawyer.........I really enjoyed visiting up there. It was quite exciting when some lady ran off the road and went through the first fence of the runway. When my brother and I pulled up they had the lady surrounded with M-16s...........She was scared shitless.........My brother was a cop.....and still is. :thumbsup:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
DLI (Defense Language Institute) was a PITA. 13 months of Russian language training...which meant 13 months of being persona non grata - you're not a "real" Airman until you finish Tech School. So while everyone that I went to Basic Training with finished their Tech School to be a jet mac, or a Cop, or whatever in a few weeks or months, I got to have a f***ing 10:00 PM curfew, no alcohol in the barracks, yada, yada, yada for over a year...then I still had to go to Goodfellow in San Angelo, TX for another six months to learn my job... :brickwall: None of that was in the sales brochure... :D

I had a cool bumper sticker on the Duster though: "DLI Produces Cunning Linguists" :lol:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I have a Nephew thats a Russian linguist in the Navy, more like a spook :yesnod:

george68hemirr

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
george68hemirr said:
[quote="ACME A12":3e9z0np3]When I was in the Air Force one of my best buddies was a NY Italian named Giuseppe (Joe) Marinelli...OMG that guy was a riot...he was always telling real life stories - that were just like this joke... :lol:

ACME

Russian Linguist. Stationed at Lackland (DLI), Goodfellow, and McConnell[/quote:3e9z0np3]

a scientific study of the russian language...thats what you did in the USAF??

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
ACME A12 said:
george68hemirr said:

Russian Linguist. Stationed at Lackland (DLI), Goodfellow, and McConnell

a scientific study of the russian language...thats what you did in the USAF??

Nope. Intel. Linguists listen to foreign military transmissions and the info gets used by the U.S. Military and by NSA. See Bob's post above.

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
I have a Nephew thats a Russian linguist in the Navy, more like a spook :yesnod:

Yeah, and I'll bet he got to attend DLI-FLC (Foreign Language Center) in the Presidio of Monterey. I on the other hand was fortunate enough (that's extreme sarcasm...) to attend DLI near the end of the cold war so I went to a satellite campus at DLI-ELC (English Language Center) at Lackland in TX. There was a shortage of dorm space at Monterey so they moved some instructors to DLI-ELC and set up shop there from ('81 - '87). The Air Force Russian Linguists were the single largest group so we were the lucky ones...

After I completed Basic Training they put me on a bus and drove me six blocks and dropped me off...literally. Never mind that they had made me march a 1,000 miles on that base in the preceding six weeks - I was not allowed to walk six blocks to my next duty assignment...typical mindless military BS... :loco:

DLI-ELC is where we teach "friendlies" how to speak English - as it is the international aviation language... We were told that Muammar Abu Minyar al-Gaddafi of Libyan Terrorist fame learned his English there - just a tidbit for you trivai buffs...

george68hemirr

Reaction score
yes i did basic at lackland too ..a million mile marching too......sounds like a boring job you had there.....i guess somebody had to do it

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
My brother was at KI Sawyer.........I really enjoyed visiting up there. It was quite exciting when some lady ran off the road and went through the first fence of the runway. When my brother and I pulled up they had the lady surrounded with M-16s...........She was scared shitless.........My brother was a cop.....and still is. :thumbsup:

As in he is still a MP or a civilian Cop...?

While I was at Goodfellow I went to school in a building called "Secret Square". Big brick building with no windows. Four armed guards for every student (or so it seemed...). During a fire drill one day a buddy and I exited through an "unauthorized egress"... We were unceremoniously thrown to the ground by about a dozen or so waiting MPs who then trained the barrels of their M16s at various points of our now ashen and horrified faces... This kind of thing happened frequently as it was all part of trying to make us understand that we had no margin for error in our jobs and maintaining security...and those sick bastards really got their rocks off every time they got to take one of us "nerds" down... :yesnod:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
My nephew has had some fun as translator for admirals visiting Moscow, visiting bars buying Russian trinkets military of course. Most of the time on or in the water or in the air listening. :flag:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
yes i did basic at lackland too ..a million mile marching too......sounds like a boring job you had there.....i guess somebody had to do it

Boring? No. Challenging and difficult? VERY. The washout rate for Russian language school alone was about 52%. And that's 52% of the best and brightest minds the military had to offer as your average Joe never even gets a shot at that job. Most Intercept Operators go back to language school and pick up a 2nd or even 3rd language after their initial tour because they love it so much. As for having do to it, the people that do those jobs are the frontline defense and intelligence gathering mechanism for the military intelligence community and NSA - and therefore the country - so no one ever felt like they HAD to do anything... We were elite and we knew it...

:thumbsup:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
My nephew has had some fun as translator for admirals visiting Moscow, visiting bars buying Russian trinkets military of course. Most of the time on or in the water or in the air listening. :flag:

I was supposed to go to RAF Mildenhall in Suffolk, England and fly RC-135s as an airborne linguist - but I failed my flight physical. Turned out I have WPW - a heart condition - so they wouldn't let me fly... So now I only log about 150,000 flight miles a year as a sales guy... :lol:

Back