• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

LIFE IN THE GARAGE - A CAR ADDICT AND HIS TOYS chapter 4000 - 1970 Roadrunner

1967 'cuda

Reaction score
The Roadrunner came with a new aluminum Champion radiator. Despite the problem with the heat coming off the exhaust, the motor has always ran cool. No factory shroud, but my experiences with the Champion radiators tell me that the original shrouds don't mate to them.
2.jpg
We left the Chrysler electronic control box on the firewall even though it's now bypassed for the new MSD equipment.
1.jpg
The radiator support seemed like a good location for the MSD controller. It would be away from most of the heat in the engine compartment and it was still a little wrinkled in that spot from when the car was hit in the front.
3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

3.jpg

1967 'cuda

Reaction score
We wouldn't have been to concerned about the tic-toc-tach not working, but with the 4-speed we wanted to know at what RPM we were shifting. We installed this aftermarket tach beneath the dash overhang just as the original owner had. We even used the same holes that he had drilled decades earlier.
1.jpg
Even though we could have fixed the factory tach, my son wanted to have one with a shift light built in.
2.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

1967 'cuda

Reaction score
During the time that we were struggling to make the car run better, my son was researching aftermarket fuel injection systems. As our carb adjustments correlated with performance improvements, he became convinced that switching to EFI would be the best way to maximize the performance we could get.

With the various companies that were now making EFI setups, the next step was to choose which to go with. Looking towards the future, my son thought it was likely that he'd one day replace the 383 with a more powerful engine. So, part of the criteria for the decision he made was based on how much HP the various systems could support.

The FAST 2.0 was what he picked. With the potential to support up to 1200 horsepower he was certain the car wasn't going to outgrow it.

These are pictures of some of the installation process. Although the wiring and plumbing looks messy in these photos, we re-organized it before we finished. The injectors are incorporated in the throttle body housing. - And the throttle body housing is designed to fit on a standard 4150 intake flange.
1.jpg
The decided to mount the fuel pressure regulator and pressure sensor just above the area where the Roadrunner's hard fuel lines ended. We'd run braided stainless down to them.
2.jpg
We made up a set of braided stainless fuel lines to run to and from the throttle body.
3.jpg
One thing I hadn't planned on changing was the water pump housing. But I was unable to remove the original pipe nipple from one of the heater hoses. I had to get it out to gain access to the area that had the water temperature sensor. (the FAST system needs a temperature sensor input) We had a new aluminum housing on the 512 we're building for our '68 Charger so we robbed it off of it. Luckily it had multiple sensor hole locations so we were able to install the sensor for the FAST ECU input and maintain the sensor for our factory gauge.
4.jpg
The fuel tank was a project all by itself. In order to install an in-tank pump we were going to have to cut an access hole in the top of it.
5.jpg
In this photo you can see the sending unit inside the tank. The new pump will be attached to it. I drilled holes around the perimeter and installed nutserts. A gasketed cover plate will seal this when we're done.
6.jpg
An O2 sensor was installed in the exhaust pipe.
7.jpg
The FAST 2.0 comes with a small computer touch screen that is used to set the system up and to let you monitor things when you're done. My son decided that he wanted to have easy access to it but he didn't want to leave it exposed all the time. It does come with a windshield suction cup mount but my son didn't feel that it would be convenient if he had to constantly pull it on and off. Despite my objection to doing it, he wanted the ashtray modified to accommodate the monitor. Because there was not enough space inside the ashtray to allow the door to close with the screen attached, I had to gut it and rebuild.
10.JPG
8.jpg
9.jpg
This is a picture of it when it was finished and the door closed.
11.jpg
And this is with the door open.
12.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.JPG

11.jpg

12.jpg

droptop

Reaction score
Cool...thinking about doing this conversion to the wife's Barracuda. The EFI systems have advanced greatly in the last couple of years.

1967 'cuda

Reaction score
Cool...thinking about doing this conversion to the wife's Barracuda. The EFI systems have advanced greatly in the last couple of years.

Although we haven't ever had the car on a dyno, it was easy to tell that we had a major horsepower increase with the fuel injection. I only briefly touched on the details of the installation here. We did buy the FAST distributor also. - Unlike many of the other EFI units out there, FAST has an option with this one that allows you to have their ECU control ignition timing. If you're considering buying the whole setup for a B engine, we're probably going to sell the distributor we got from them. (it was $400 and has less than 20 minutes run time on it) We decided to go back to the billet MSD instead.

Budnicks

I will apologize to everyone in advance
Reaction score
Wow really photo laden, lots of info to ingest, but great job & keep it up, good luck on all of your many projects

1967 'cuda

Reaction score
Welcome back to ya from Nebraska. The son of a good friend of mine went to WYO TECH. People around here consider that place to be the best automotive tech college in the country.

Budnicks

I will apologize to everyone in advance
Reaction score
Anything new added to the collection ??
Been a while since I posted much here,
been over on FBBO mostly

a couple of my buddies kids 1 girl & 1 boy graduated from Wyotech in Fremont Ca,
into a drag racing family, they were a great fit
http:www.wyotech.edu/campus/fremont
IIRC there/it use to be a small facility in Sacramento Ca too
turned out some great talent too

Back