• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MA MOPAR BIT ME AGAIN or SO MANY MOPARS, SO LITTLE TIME

1967 'cuda

Reaction score
I'm really grateful for the use of the enclosed trailer that was loaned to me but I prefer my open trailer. We had stopped in Omaha on our way to the track to take a bathroom break and pick up some batteries for the camera.

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

Attachments

• attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 0
  • attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 0
  • attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 0

1967 'cuda

Reaction score
I haven't weighed the car yet. The MPH was 90.32. I was so worn out from the last few weeks that I just felt too burnt out to make any more passes. From the runs I got in the night before with the Duster I knew that I'd rather focus on what the car was capable of. That heat was miserable. I felt sorry for the two guys that were driving. Between their cars and mine, they were wringing wet with sweat. I think I must have dropped 7 or 8 pounds over the weekend the way it was. I figure that the next time I race I'll just take one and be better prepared when I do. - None of this last minute stuff if I want to enjoy it.

1967 'cuda

Reaction score
I called up Mike at MRL today to discuss plugs. I told him about the soot I had been finding on the outside of the plugs and the plug wire boots. He assured me that the heads were designed so that the gasketed plugs should have seated fine. - But it sounds as though they were designed to accept the tapered seat also. He suggested that I try going to a hotter plug though. His suggestion was the CHAMPION RS9YCs instead of the RS12YCs. He wasn't aware of any of his other motors having had a similar issue but said he'd make a note of it 'in case'. A long while back he had given me suggestions on re-curving the distributor but I've been so swamped with other things that I still haven't gotten around to it.

For the time being I will try running the plugs I've got in it to see if the soot problem stays away. I'll pick up those other plugs so that I can swap them in the next time I go to read my plugs. - And I've got to figure out where the heck I put my distributor bushings and springs. (black bushing & 2 silver springs)

1967 'cuda

Reaction score
As I've been resting up from the last weekend I'm informed that there's an all Mopar drag event coming up in Cedar Falls, Iowa on September 27th &28th. It'd be a 5 hour drive for me each direction. - And realistically a 6 or 7 hour drive pulling a trailer. If I decide to go I'll have to choose which car to take because I can't see taking both again. I'd like to take the Barracuda because I consider it the easiest to run but the Duster never sees the streets and won't get driven unless it's on a track.

More photos from the last weekend.

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

Attachments

• attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 0
  • attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 0
  • attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 0
  • attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 0
  • attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 0
  • attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 0
  • attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 0
  • attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 0
  • attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 0

1967 'cuda

Reaction score
Maybe I'm stuck in the past but I'm totally infatuated with the 60s through 70s high performance automotive era. I tend to strive to recreate the look and feel of those cars. In some ways my shade tree skill level keeps me comfortable with that technology, but beyond that I feel like I get to time travel back.

1967 'cuda

Reaction score
Back to the 'Lil Red for awhile again. The original dash pad had deteriorated from the sun. Earlier this year I had bought a replacement N.O.S. pad for it at the Mopar High Impact car show. I neglected to buy dye until now. I ordered enough to re-do the glove box door and the door panels to make sure they match. It should be here next week. I see that I will need to scrub and detail beneath the dash before everything goes back together.

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

Attachments

• attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 0
  • attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 0
  • attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 0
  • attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 0
  • attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 0

1967 'cuda

Reaction score
I'd made the mistake of buying a pair of replacement door panels off of eBay. They were supposed to have been recently re-dyed red and they looked to be in perfect condition in the pictures. The guy shipped them in a box with the arm rests detached and the steel arm rest brackets in a plastic sack. He didn't bother to secure the small parts inside the box. By the time they arrived the door panels were pretty beat up. It's a shame. Instead of having a near perfect set of panels, I'll have to make do with touching these up. They're going to have chips in them now. He hasn't responded to contact through eBay either. Some people DO need to be slapped sometimes.

1967 'cuda

Reaction score
I've been toying around with the idea of trying one of those spray on chrome products out there. I'd seen one on a Jay Leno's Garage video a year or so ago and was surprised at how good the results looked. In the past I've tried some of those poof can chrome paints and they were nothing more than silver.

Every now and then I come across the need for plating and I know how expensive it is. I just sent off the air cleaner lid for the 'Lil Red to Sioux Plating and they quoted me around $100 for it. But it would be great to be able to re-do those plated rings around the gauges or even to re-do the chrome slotted wheels I have that are showing some rust without having to send them off or pay a fortune. Heck, if I could do it cheap enough, I'd do the Barracuda's Dana rear and the driveshaft. From what I've found out so far, there are a number of companies that make such a product and although none are cheap - they're less expensive than a plating shop.

I'm starting to come up with a list of items I have that need doing. It seems that my turn signal levers always need it. So do the chrome visor brackets.

1967 'cuda

Reaction score
Progress is almost nil around here since I got back from the drags. I am feeling so totally exhausted that I'm not getting much done. It's rained each day since returning and that hasn't helped either. I can tell that the days are getting shorter and before I know it Winter will be here again.

I've got a few computers lined up that I need to repair for people. I need to re-flash a motherboard bios chip on one and do a re-format on the other. I guess as long as I'm not getting something done outside I might as well get them taken care of.

I usually spend down time like this to assess what needs to be done and to order parts if need be. The 'Cuda definitely has potential. I'm going to have to do some more research on stall converters. It'd be nice to have a track closer to home where I could do more testing. I've always been told to stick to just one modification before testing a car. But given the travel distances and expense I can't afford to try one thing at a time. (Unless it's something like a jet change at the track)

1967 'cuda

Reaction score
I'm still cleaning up the truck before I do the engine installation. It may look odd, but the factory had a form of black undercoating sprayed on those various areas of the firewall. I still need to clean all of the hoses and rubber shields. The frame/suspension will all get a new coat of gloss black too. I'm not sure what to do with that surface rust that's formed on the blower and wiper motors. I assume they should have a cadmium or zinc plating on them.

attachment.jpg

Attachments

• attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 0

1967 'cuda

Reaction score
The Challenger is back. I didn't get a chance to take photos until after the sun set. My son had opted not to put the front spoiler back on. I still think it needs it. In the dark it's difficult to see the AAR style hood.

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

Attachments

• attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 0
  • attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 0
  • attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 0
  • attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 0
  • attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 0
  • attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 0

1967 'cuda

Reaction score
I finally had a chance to get some pictures of the Challenger in daylight. After searching the internet for photos of red cars, my son chose to go with a '69 Monza Red. He hasn't seen the Challenger in person yet but he's questioning whether or not he made the right color choice. He thinks it may have too much yellow in it. When the car is in direct sunlight it DOES look more like orange. He should be back in Nebraska later today to see it. Personally, I like it.

I've seen a number of new Challengers on the street and in car shows that have had the strobe stripe on them. - And there are several versions of those strobe stripe kits out there. They all look good. But I think the addition of the AAR style hood tends to make me think 'Cuda' instead of Challenger when I see the car. He'd bought the hood before the Hellcats were released. Now it's possible to get Hellcat hoods. - But I'm happy with this hood he chose and I don't think I'd prefer any other.

These aftermarket wheels were already on the car when he bought it. I hated them at first when the car was still black. - And I wasn't too thrilled with them after the car was first shot red. But after blacking out the hood and adding the stripes and trim they've really grown on me. His plan was to purchase different ones but we'll see what he thinks after he looks it over.

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

Attachments

• attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 0
  • attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 0
  • attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 0
  • attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 0
  • attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 0
  • attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 0
  • attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 0

1967 'cuda

Reaction score
Yesterday's news had one of the nastiest weather forecasts I've heard in a long time. Rumors of thunderstorms with baseball sized hail, high winds, and tornadoes. I'm sort of screwed if things get really bad. The best I could do was to get everything under the trees. I moved the 'Lil Red inside and dropped the box on the back. I figured that high winds would've probably raised havoc with the box on that cart. I didn't quite get everything under cover before the rain hit. It came down in buckets with strong wind pushing it. - Quarter sized hail. So far it hasn't gotten spooky out there so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

My son hasn't shown up yet from Iowa. I'd hate to have his first view of the Challenger be one where it looks like a popcorn ball. As much as I should get it inside, he's got full insurance coverage on it and I don't on the rest of the toys.

It was raining so hard earlier that I couldn't hardly see across the street. - Not so bad right now. It's supposed to start and stop like this all night long. I'll have to make sure I've got an empty spot under one of the trees for when the Roadrunner shows up.

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

Attachments

• attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 0
  • attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 0