• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MA MOPAR BIT ME AGAIN or SO MANY MOPARS, SO LITTLE TIME

1967 'cuda

Reaction score
My new wheel studs showed up today for the Duster but I'm still waiting on the lug nuts. In case they don't get here in time, I've already found someone willing to loan me 10 for a few days. I can't change out the studs until I get the lug nuts because they'll be too long for the closed ended lugs I have on it now and I don't want it sitting on jack stands while I wait.

attachment.jpg

1967 'cuda

Reaction score
I searched the shop but couldn't find my airbrush. It's been a long long time since I'd used it and I guess it's not gonna get used this time. I masked off a stripe area on one side of the hood scoop and thought I'd see if I could get enough control with an aerosol can to make some fish scales. It didn't go very well. Without some means to reduce the flow rate and pressure, it was putting on way too much paint. The flash time between each row of scales would have to be pretty long to prevent making smears with my template. I took the paint back of with some thinner. I still had the lace to try. Because it will receive a more even pattern of paint, I might have more success.

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

1967 'cuda

Reaction score
After removing the last experiment I cut some lace to try next. Don't worry. I'm not in any trouble. I left our tablecloths alone and bought a few dollars worth of fabric from Walmart.

I assumed that the lace would need to be stretched slightly to remove any wrinkling there might be and that I would only be able to give it a light coat to prevent it from soaking the fabric.

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

I still had the area masked off from before so it wasn't much work putting the lace down. The garage isn't very well lit so it's hard to get good pictures of the gold on the black.

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

After removing the tape I could tell that it was going to need a pinstripe to outline the panel. I chose orange because of the orange metal flake that is on the side lettering. (- and because I didn't have anything else)

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

Hopefully everything will tie together once I get the gold paint on the sides of the car. The pinstripe does help to finish off these small panels

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

Now I need to duplicate this on the other side of the hood. I probably should have cleared the first panel before removing the mask but I wasn't sure if I wanted to keep the lace effect until I saw it uncovered

1967 'cuda

Reaction score
I realize that this thread has gotten way off track by covering the work of other projects while the 'Cuda waits for me to get back to it.

I went back to the first post I had on this thread and looked at the photos of the Barracuda when I'd purchased it
. The car looked pretty clean but not quite finished. I had never intended to dump as much time and money into it as what I did. It was supposed to be my daily driver with all of it's flaws. (except that ugly steering wheel cover) As I recall I paid $7000 for it.

I've always had a hard time leaving well enough alone. Gradually I fixed the flaws and scrounged up pieces that had been missing. But I'd managed to keep from spending much. I had dreamt of the day when I had finished all of my other cars and could get wild with the fastback. - But it was unlikely I was ever going to get to it.

After it got wrecked I was in full panic mode. It really had been my daily driver and I wanted to get it back on the road asap. Unable to find decent affordable front fenders made me decide on fiberglass. Things snowballed from there. I couldn't see painting the front clip and ignoring the flaws I could see in the rear quarters. - And of course I found out how bad those quarters were when I stripped off the paint. The car had crossed a line. Instead of being a 'some day' restoration it became project #1.

At this point I would say that I don't really have any regrets with the car. I had bought it to drive 'right away'. - And I thought the price was reasonable at the time. Circumstances changed after the crash. It was no longer drivable. Had I had a crystal ball and been able to see into the future I would have bought a basket case instead. After all, I did end up changing engine, transmission, rear end, quarter panels, suspension, brakes, tires, wheels, gas tank, fuel & brake lines, etc, etc... I'd probably have $5000 less in it now. Oh well, it's all about the journey I guess.

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

1967 'cuda

Reaction score
In an effort to create a climate controlled garage I've left the door open between the garage and the house and put a fan in the doorway. I know I have to close it up when I paint but at least the heat and humidity are under control. Today I need to get the sides of the car shot.

It sounds as though I'll be getting a little extra help preparing everything tomorrow. Mike (the buddy that's going to pull the second trailer) is coming down to give a hand. I always scoff at those reality car building shows on TV. They're constantly fighting some unrealistic deadline to get their vehicles done. Well...

The Barracuda is running pretty good right now. My problem with running rich seems to have been caused by too high a level on my floats. I'd never known that slight adjustments to the floats could make a difference. I always thought that you had to be excessively high or low before you'd notice a change. A friend of mine told me that even a small amount of extra fuel in those bowls will push gas faster. I haven't been driving it much over the past few weeks because I've been tied up in the garage on the other projects.

I want to take as many tools and parts with me to the drags this weekend so I can play more with tuning if I need to.

1967 'cuda

Reaction score
I'm still prepping the Duster for the gold paint. I wish I still had all of the shop supplies that I used to have years ago. It's been a long time since I did any paint on a car. - And 'back in the day' I had better equipment and shop space. I keep telling myself "It's only a race car" and "As long as it looks good from the cheap seats".

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

1967 'cuda

Reaction score
In general I think that the Duster has the right look. It's got a good stance, nice tire/wheel combo, etc.. But there are so many flaws in the body and the workmanship wasn't great on the rest of it. I'm not knocking the guys that originally built it. - But they weren't real concerned with details. It was all about making it go fast.

That's why I'm not afraid to play with the paint. It looked good before from 20 to 30 foot away but otherwise, eh.

Well the primer is on.

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

1967 'cuda

Reaction score
I'll be damned! I finally got some gold paint on it. After a quick scuff job on the primer and a quick tack, I mixed the gold and shot it. Now I can't wait 'til I can pull off all this masking and see how it looks.

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

1967 'cuda

Reaction score
I'm still trying to decide where to put the contingency decals - or whether or not to use them at all. I ran out of orange pinstriping so it'll be a while before I can get it all the way done. Now I've decided that the cage needs to be painted orange too. I'm also considering painting the wheels gold. What do you guys think so far?

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

1967 'cuda

Reaction score
I searched for pictures online of how I wanted it to look and for examples of various insignias and graphics. It sure makes it easier to do layouts when I can draw things out to scale and tape them on the car first.

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

1967 'cuda

Reaction score
I'm glad that I hadn't stuck my FABO stickers on the Barracuda. They are perfect on the Duster.

attachment.jpg

I am not thrilled with the lace on the hood. I think I'd like it better if it was the same shade of gold that is on the rest of the car. My new struggle is with the hood again. I can't seem to get something that looks good to me for the sides of the scoop. - Matter of fact, I think that my first few ideas really suck. I may just leave it blank for now. I'm going to have to switch gears to some of the other work that needs to be done before the weekend.

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

The 'Lil Red is ready to be picked up so I may be bringing it home tomorrow. I assume the Challenger is ready too.

1967 'cuda

Reaction score
I drove the Duster out of the garage this morning to make way for work on the other projects. You can really see that the orange pinstripe helps to set it off. Oh well, it's gonna wait 'til next week for more.

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

1967 'cuda

Reaction score
The Express is back. I would have liked to have gotten the box attached but I've got too much other stuff going on today.

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

The new lug nuts had shown up yesterday. I did get the wheel studs switched today. I'm working on the seat and belt mounts now.

attachment.jpg

1967 'cuda

Reaction score
The day started out great. Even though I'd only had a few hours of sleep, the Duster was looking pretty good. I gassed up all of the vehicles. I got the new wheel studs installed and measured the frame for some steel reinforcements for the seat mounts. I hauled the Duster to a friend that has a lift and got them welded in place so it should pass tech inspection. One thing that I did find as I was snugging up the oilpan and transmission pan bolts was a leak from the tail shaft. Further checking revealed a stripped tail shaft mounting bolt hole. It's not a real serious leak but it won't please track officials.

I went out to our farm to pick up a window air conditioning unit. That's when the day turned bad. We've been burglarized again. Someone broke into our barn and our shop. I figure there was over $10,000 worth of stuff stolen. Car parts. Thousands of Die Cast cars. A Honda Odessey 350. G.I Joe stuff. Household items. We had a lot stored in the shop when we gutted our house for remodeling. They took over 20 large bins of items that were from the house. A 727 big block transmission. Thousands of dollars worth of chrome suspension parts that were for my fiberglass T. A $1000 radiator that had the brass wings and motometer for the T Bucket. Roadrunner parts. I had a collection of almost every issue of CARtoons magazines with several duplicates. - there were 100s of them that I'd been collecting. - All gone now. We're not sure of what all else is missing. We didn't keep an inventory.

It really has me shook up. I was planning on being gone for the next 3 days but now I'm guessing they'll be back for more. They took so much stuff that they either had to make several trips or possibly brought a trailer with them.

I guess I'll have to watch eBay and Craigslist for things showing up. I'll be looking closely at what's for sale at the swap meets too. My guess is that this stuff will go to pawn shops in Lincoln or Omaha. I'm trying to keep from having a really negative view of the world around me right now. But it's hard to stay positive when crap like this happens.

My son's '68 Charger is still out there (at least it was a few hours ago) He's got over $10,000 invested in it already. Even if I go racing to try to enjoy myself this weekend, I'll be constantly worrying. I don't have room here in town to store it inside and unless it's a licensed functional vehicle city codes prevent me from having it on our extra lot.

1967 'cuda

Reaction score
I know that there's a lot of folks that have had to put up with a lot worse. I guess if I lost everything I'd need to remind myself that there's always going to those that haven't been as blessed as I've been. I've had some really good friends, family, and opportunities through the years. - Probably more than I deserve.

1967 'cuda

Reaction score
As strange as it sounds my front porch/patio may be my home for the next few days. I sure hope it doesn't rain. I forgot my house keys when I went to Iowa. Returning after a few days I discover that Teresa isn't home and the house is locked. She often will leave for a couple of days in a row to babysit her grandchildren that live in various cities 20 to 40 miles away. She just changed phone companies on her cell before I'd left. I don't know the number. All of the contact info on her kids is in the house.

attachment.jpg

I took a fan, a 42" TV and my laptop with me to Iowa along with some blankets and a small pillow. So I guess I'm camping out now. My neighbors are probably expecting to see a couch on the front lawn soon. I'm so ghetto.
I'll survive. - But I'm starting to think that those chili dogs at the track may have been a mistake. There are no 24 hour businesses or public bathrooms in this town. Maybe if I warm up the tires on the Duster I can spend the night in a comfortable cell.

1967 'cuda

Reaction score
The cars are unloaded and back in the drive. I'm really glad that I went but it's good to be home. I needed a break from the garage and a distraction from that burglary.

I really was taking on too much at one time. As good as it may feel to be seeing progress on each vehicle, this was nuts. I had to prep 2 different trailers (one of which I was totally unfamiliar with. I Inspected the lights, brakes, wheel bearings, had to replace one safety chain hook, charge batteries in both trailers, readied the tie-down ratchet straps (and made sure I took a couple extra along), gathered wood blocks, jacks, spare tires, etc... OK that wasn't so difficult. But I also had to transport a '73 Duster out to our farmstead for a friend, pick up the 'Lil Red Express, paint graphics on the sides of the dually, do a quickee bondo patch up on one of the Duster's rear quarters, re-paint the Dusters sides, design out and put graphics on the Duster, check fluids in both tow vehicles and both cars to be raced, wired the dually for a 7-pin trailer hookup, make new mounts for the seat belts and the seats in the Duster, make a battery tie down for the Duster, etc, etc,... On top of it all I found that I needed to replace the front wheel bearings on the dually. Of course all of the necessary blankets, pillows, clothes, food, drinks, coolers,had to be sorted out too.

I didn't go the best prepared but I made it. I'd gotten by with minimum sleep most of the previous week. - Sometimes as little as 2 hours a night. The anticipation was still high although dampened by the worries about thefts at the farm.

1967 'cuda

Reaction score
I'd never been to an 1/8 mile track before and had thought of them as probably being cheesy compared to the 1/4 mile strips. - But I was pretty impressed. How could a person not be when the first thing you see after pulling in the gate is a half dozen '40 Willys coupes lined up. They could have been racing on dirt and I still would have been in awe. I'm not sure how many Willys were there all together. I only was able to photograph about half of them.

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

Back