• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MA MOPAR BIT ME AGAIN or SO MANY MOPARS, SO LITTLE TIME

1967 'cuda

Reaction score
When I installed the fiberglass hood I removed the hood springs to make sure they didn't put any upward pressure on the hood eventually causing it to bow. Of course without the hood springs I needed a hood prop. At first I used a rigid black plastic section of vacuum cleaner hose to keep the hood up. I kept it under the front seat.
attachment.jpg
attachment.jpg
attachment.jpg
But that seemed like a pretty rinky-dink way of supporting the hood. So I bought some 1/2" aluminum rod and made a hinged bracket so it could flip up, - similar to the way you see them done on modern non-sprung hoods.

But because the hood was fiberglass, putting a support only on one side made the hood look lopsided when it was open. So I decided to make a second support (similar to the first) that I'd put on the other side.

Well that created a new problem. When I flipped one side up into place it was easy. But after one support was up it had a tendency to fall back down when I reached for the second one.

To prevent that I had to reach to both sides with my hands at the same time while supporting the hood with my head. - Just not cool.

So to solve that problem I needed to tie both sides together with another section of aluminum rod. And the rod that connected the two side supports had to be formed to clear the engine when in the down position.

What had started out so simple was beginning to get out of control. But I went ahead and fabbed the pieces, welded them together and installed it. It actually works pretty good. The support rods line up with the hood pin holes and you can put it in place just as easily as you can on any of the new cars.

At this point you'd think I'd leave well enough alone. But it bothered me that the hood support assembly seemed so bulky. I didn't think that something designed to hold up a hood should be so big.... - Unless it was designed to do more than just hold up the hood.

This is where some of you will probably feel certain that I've become influenced by exhaust fumes or that someone should pad the walls in my garage. I decided to add LED lighting to the crossbar between the two supports. I thought that instead of viewing the hood support as an overgrown hatchet job, they might think of it as an ingenuous method of eliminating the need for a trouble light. ....Maybe the fumes are starting to get to me.
attachment.jpg
attachment.jpg
In these next three photos, the car is in an unlit garage at night. So they give a good indication of how well you could see the engine compartment if stranded at in the dark.
attachment.jpg
attachment.jpg
attachment.jpg

1967 'cuda

Reaction score
I didn't think the engine compartment was looking too bad, but I knew there was lots of room for improvement. I bought the red AAR clone while the '67 was still wrecked. Because the fastback wasn't going anywhere for a while it then became the donor car when I needed things for the clone. (You may have noticed that I was able to get the E340 plates for the clone.) The silver Chevelle next to it was my son's car that he just sold.
attachment.jpg
I had robbed the ignition system including the red MSD spark plug wires. (which I later replaced with new pieces) They seemed to be an appropriate fit. (red wires on a red car)
attachment.jpg
So when it came time for new spark plug wires for the '67 I chose to go with a set of florescent orange wires from Taylor. I really like these wire holder/separators from Spectre. They're inexpensive (around $20) and do a really nice job keeping things orderly because there's so much adjustment to them. We've put a set of them on every vehicle we've done.
attachment.jpg
While I was at it I decided to cover the hoses with a stainless steel braid.
attachment.jpg
I added an orange 318 decal to the air cleaner.
attachment.jpg
The factory shroud did not fit on my replacement radiator from Champion so I fabbed a new one out of stainless steel and replaced the stock fan with an electric one. I also replaced the white plastic overflow tank with a stainless steel one that I got off eBay.
attachment.jpg

1967 'cuda

Reaction score
After removing the stock hood I had pulled the spring off of the latch assembly but left the latch on the car. It no longer served any purpose because of the hood pins. So, when I reassembled the replacement fiberglass front clip I decided to eliminate the latch. That left the holes that weren't needed anymore exposed. While I was trying to clean up the engine compartment I figured I'd make a filler panel to cover them up.
attachment.jpg
After making some cardboard templates I cut some aluminum sheet metal to match.
attachment.jpg
After making a few bends in a brake and doing a little extra notching it slid into place. I even used the existing bolt holes in the under structure to attach to.
attachment.jpg
After about an hour of polishing it was ready to install.
attachment.jpg
I bought this MOPAR Racing decal off eBay. Because it had a chrome finish to it I thought it would give the appearance of being embossed when applied over the polished aluminum.
attachment.jpg

1967 'cuda

Reaction score
I'm pretty happy with the touches of orange that I've added to the car. It's not too in-your-face flashy with the gray/black paint, yet the orange does tend to catch your eye and keeps it from being totally blah.
attachment.jpg
I won't be able to install the Dana until I finish rebuilding a 727 for the Barracuda. I'd always heard that the 727s were much sturdier and that the 904s couldn't handle a whole lot of power. While I was doing the rest of the work on the car I also installed a new gas tank and sending unit. The old tank had a couple of holes in it that had been patched and was bent up.
attachment.jpg
I realize that in today's world the 904 now seems to be the transmission of choice with many drag racers. But if my research is correct, it is pretty costly to build the needed strength into them.
attachment.jpg
I found a 727 on Craigslist down in Texas that came with a stall converter and two valve bodies (one forward manual shift and the other a reverse manual shift). It was only $200 but I had to drive down there to get it. Before I put it in I want to go through it to make sure everything is OK. It's been almost 30 years since I rebuilt a transmission so I'm going to have to refresh my memory by hitting the books.
attachment.jpg

1967 'cuda

Reaction score
I've got a buddy of mine in Rising City, Nebraska that owns a lime '68 notchback. As far as I know, we're the only two guys in the county that own early Barracudas.
attachment.jpg
His had been in his family for years and he restored it a few years back.
attachment.jpg
Ever since I got my 'Cuda I've wanted to get some snapshots of our two cars together.
attachment.jpg

1967 'cuda

Reaction score
I had owned the Barracuda for several months before I noticed that the dash pad had been re-covered. Someone had sewn up some vinyl and stretched it over it. I'm satisfied with the way it looks so I don't think I'll do anything more with it.

Before I had lowered the car down in the rear, it was difficult to see out of the rear view mirror. In an attempt to solve that, I installed a reverse camera down by the license plate and mounted the monitor over the original mirror. The monitor had a reflective, mirror-like surface that acted as an actual mirror until the camera was turned on. Then it would switch to camera view. It worked great at dusk or whenever it wasn't either too light or too dark outside. But most of the time it wasn't much help.

I ended up putting the original mirror back on after I lowered the car. The red button on the turn signal arm was the method I had used to control the camera. I left it in place thinking that I might some day use it as a trigger for a line lock.
attachment.jpg
Just a few more pics of the Barracuda sitting in the driveway.

Because this was a '67, it did not have any of the stainless steel moldings around the windshield. I found some off of a '68 here on FABO. They polished out very nicely and look better than new.
attachment.jpg
attachment.jpg
The car was also missing the trim that should have been on the roof gutters. The ones on the car now also came from someone on FABO.
attachment.jpg
attachment.jpg
attachment.jpg
The rear window seal was bad on the car. It was split at the bottom and had a 1" gap that allowed rain to run inside the back. I found a new seal on eBay and then purchased the '68 rear window trim off FABO.
attachment.jpg
attachment.jpg

1967 'cuda

Reaction score
One other modification I'd like to make is to paint my air cleaner lid orange. I was messaging back and forth with a member of FABO about creating a CUDA themed replacement decal for the top of his air cleaner lid. He's got an old air grabber air cleaner off of a Roadrunner that he's been using. It still has the 'COYOTE DUSTER' decal on it but it's badly weathered now.
attachment.jpg
I wanted to choose a design that was most likely to be familiar to people so I went back to the caricature I'd started with for my tail stripe.
attachment.jpg
After taking some measurements he sent me a picture of it. Taking the dimensions that he'd given me I attempted to fit the CUDA emblem into the same space.
attachment.jpgattachment.jpg
Rather than make a single color decal like I did fr my rear quarters, this would need to be full colored to properly mimic the look Plymouth would have used if they'd made it. The engine size portion would have to be a separate piece so that it would work on different vehicles.
attachment.jpgattachment.jpg
I sent my designs to a local vinyl shop to have some made. It's taking them longer than I expected. I'm hoping that the design will fit both the oval and the round air cleaner lids. If it doesn't, I'll make two different ones.
attachment.jpg
attachment.jpg
attachment.jpg

Budnicks

I will apologize to everyone in advance
Reaction score
After designing the new logo I went to a local vinyl shop to have some decals cut. Eventually I did decide to keep the metallic gray color for the body. The new paint has just a little more pop to it though. There is a hint of candy pink and candy blue added in. It's hard to see it unless you're up close and looking for it. For the stripe I went a gloss black. It is painted on with a clearcoat over everything.

In hindsight I wish we hadn't put clear over the decals. Unfortunately it left a slight whitish look around some of the edges. It's not very noticeable when the car is clean, but when it combines with a little dust, it really shows up.
attachment.jpg
Although I liked the general look of the car, it needed something to give it a little more zing. I decided to black out the center of the trunk panel trim and paint the inside of the Barracuda emblem orange.
attachment.jpg
attachment.jpg
I moved the antenna to the rear quarter after I found out Plymouth did it on their AAR Cudas to clear up radio reception problems caused by using the fiberglass hood. Fortunately the new fiberglass fenders came without an antenna hole in them.
attachment.jpg
These Rodlites are a dual bolt pattern wheel. To give the wheels a bit more pop I decided to add a little color with these red anodized plugs.
attachment.jpg
attachment.jpg
Larry had talked me out of leaving the hood painted a flat black. It was too hard to keep clean. I took his advice and went with a satin finish instead. The side of the scoop was begging for some kind of lettering. It was another area that I chose to put a touch of orange. I'm still not sure I'm satisfied with the font design I made.
attachment.jpg
Damn birds!
attachment.jpg
I replaced all of the rear trim on the trunk, but it took me a while to find the 2 pieces that were missing here.
attachment.jpg
My goal was to have a racy look that was both subtle and had some 'pop' to it. I added an orange pre-filter to the air cleaner to give it a bit more detail.
attachment.jpg

Nice Barracuda, great job so far

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
sir you ned a bigger exhaust fan in your garage...you're going anal....:jester:

droptop

Reaction score
The fastback looks like a blast to drive. The notchback Barracuda's have a love em or hate em fate. Add a Mod Top and the haters come out of the woodwork.

IMG_0164.jpg

IMG_0164.jpg

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
the notchbacks are like the first gen Chargers. not enough love. That one looks great Harlod.

1967 'cuda

Reaction score
the notchbacks are like the first gen Chargers. not enough love. That one looks great Harlod.

Yup, I agree. But the funny thing is that there were a lot of really cool cars out there that I wish I could own now that I never used to. - Including a first gen Charger and a notch Barracuda.

1967 'cuda

Reaction score
The fastback looks like a blast to drive. The notchback Barracuda's have a love em or hate em fate. Add a Mod Top and the haters come out of the woodwork.

View attachment 5784

I had a Mod Top '68 Roadrunner years ago. I thought it was uglier than sin back then. I don't know if I like the looks of them any more today, but I sort of wish I had one now.

droptop

Reaction score
I had a Mod Top '68 Roadrunner years ago. I thought it was uglier than sin back then. I don't know if I like the looks of them any more today, but I sort of wish I had one now.

Mod Top was only available in '69 and '70. Here is my 1st gen Charger. Cool old car. Has the feeling of an airplane cockpit when you turn on the dash lights.

66 Charger.jpg

66 Charger.jpg

1967 'cuda

Reaction score
Mod Top was only available in '69 and '70. Here is my 1st gen Charger. Cool old car. Has the feeling of an airplane cockpit when you turn on the dash lights.

View attachment 5790

Are you absolutely sure about that? I know for certain that it was a '68 that I had. It didn't have the wild interior but it did have a blue/green paisley vinyl top on it. The car was painted Seafoam Turquose. It was really rusted out already in the late seventies when I bought it to use as a stock car. But I thought the top looked original.

1967 'cuda

Reaction score
Well I looked online and everything I read says that the mod tops were only available in '69 &'70. Apparently some cars only had the interior treatment, some had just the roof, and some had both. Although I found info on Satellites having Mod Tops, I didn't see anywhere that said Roadrunners had them as an option. So either I had something really odd or someone had installed one on that '68 I owned. Another odd thing is that the Mod Top pattern that was on my car was (as I recall) more similar to the pattern that was used on Dart/Coronet/SuperBee than the style that should have come on a Satellite. Mine looked similar to the top shown on this car.

3.jpg

3.jpg

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score

View attachment 5790

Nice looking Charger Harlod, I don't remember you having that. Got any more pics, and how about some details?

1967 'cuda

Reaction score
I decided to swap the 318 out of the car. My son kept giving me grief over it not having enough power. After doing some research I decided to buy an engine from MRL out of Michigan. http://www.mrlperformance.com/

Mike (the owner) says he can build me a very streetable 408 that will pull 550 HP. So now I won't have to be a sheep in wolf's clothing.

MsBeep

Reaction score
So either I had something really odd or someone had installed one on that '68 I owned. Another odd thing is that the Mod Top pattern that was on my car was (as I recall) more similar to the pattern that was used on Dart/Coronet/SuperBee than the style that should have come on a Satellite. Mine looked similar to the top shown on this car.

View attachment 5791

It could have been a "rare bird" indeed! I have only seen one Mod Top Barracuda at a show here in Alberta and that was over ten years ago... Ugly as sin; yet strangely appealing. Thanks for the post and the pic.

Back