• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Major Setback!!

John69RR

Reaction score
Finished up graveyards this morning so I started to get the engine ready for cleaning and painting. Dropped the pan and found some metal. Main brg. 2,3 and 4 didn't look good. Took it to the machinist and had it checked. The crank is cracked. Looks like the MATS will have to wait. I questioned the cracking since I do not race and he told me that it was probably fatigue. I've been driving it for about 7 years now with no issues. He told me that they don't last forever. Looking at the 440 Source crank that is pre-cut for the 451 stroker application. A used crank plus machine work is about equal to the 440 Source one.

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
man that blows.....its a good thing you found it......the block could"ve been junk....so now you can rebuild the whole engine

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Sorry to hear this, I was looking forward to meeting you at the MATS John :toetap:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
That does suck John. As least you found it out now and not the hard way! Did you have a lot of miles on that engine? I guess it's something else for us to worry about goinjg bad with our cars!

mcmopar

Reaction score
If you go for the 440 Source crank pay attention to what they say about having the main and rod bearings beveled. Otherwise you'll chew them up and ruin that new crank too!

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that.......yep the 440 source crank has nice big radii in the corners.....use the right bearings..........good luck

moparchris

Reaction score
Man that sucks, I was hopin to have met a lot of you guys at the MATS. Sucks about your motor. Sometimes people rebuild engines without checking for cracks and it could of been there all along. The 440 stuff is nice from my experience. You may want to get it unbalanced. I have had ever one of the mail order rotating assemblies check and not one has been balanced right.

John69RR

Reaction score
I was looking forward to meeting some of you guys also. I believe it will be the 440Source. Thanks for the tips about the crank and bearings. Not sure how soon it will get ordered. This was definitely an unforseen expense. Even with my BD coming up thats a bit much too ask for :lol: . There is always the Nats and then the Woodward Ave. Dream Cruise. Not sure about the 2011 MATS since my daughters 16th BD will be March 19th. If they keep it on the same week-end as this year though I may be there.

69rrvert

Reaction score
Good thing you found this before you ventilated the block. I am trying to get motivated to make a few this year also. Thanks, Steven

John69RR

Reaction score
Crankshaft arrived yesterday. It is at the machine shop now. Business has picked up so it will be about a week or so to get it back.

Back