• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Major Setback!!

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
moparstuart said:
69hemibeep said:
Four weeks left, you can make it :lol:
i have not gotten my plane ticket in mail yet pops

Everything is electronic these days, Stu-Rat. Just go to the airport that Thursday morning...I'm sure dear old Dad has a ticket waiting for you... :lol:

:jester:

moparstuart

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
moparstuart said:
69hemibeep said:
Four weeks left, you can make it :lol:
i have not gotten my plane ticket in mail yet pops

Everything is electronic these days, Stu-Rat. Just go to the airport that Thursday morning...I'm sure dear old Dad has a ticket waiting for you... :lol:

:jester:
ok great i dont mind a 2 hour joy ride :jester:

John69RR

Reaction score
Just got a call from the machine shop. The crank is LIGHT!!!! That means Mallory Metal at $39.00 per piece. I need 2 -3 pieces. The crank has a bobweight of 2300 grams. My stock rods and KB215 pistons equal 2400 grams. Now it will be at least Monday before I get it.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
John69RR said:
Just got a call from the machine shop. The crank is LIGHT!!!! That means Mallory Metal at $39.00 per piece. I need 2 -3 pieces. The crank has a bobweight of 2300 grams. My stock rods and KB215 pistons equal 2400 grams. Now it will be at least Monday before I get it.

That stuff ain't cheap; I had a forged steel 273 shaft worked to go in a +.030" 340 with stock 340 rods and flat top wisecos for my gold '74 Duster a few years ago. It blew me away when I got the bill...and my machinist has been a friend for nearly 30 years...so I get the good guy pricing... :eek:

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
John69RR said:
i dont get why your crank is too light....you told them what you have and the crank should be a drop in...right....or you should"ve bought a better quality crank and you wouldnt have this problem....am i correct??

george68hemirr

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Probably just add plugs to the counter weights :thumbsup:
YES JUST ADD PLUGS...drilled and poured in or welded on but why wasnt it balanced before it gets to the consumer??

John69RR

Reaction score
I did talk to 440 Source before buying the crank. The crank is balanced with a bobweight of 2300 grams. Here is a "cut & paste" from their website.
All versions come pre-balanced at a specific bobweight (listed with the model,) setup for internal balance. The bobweight we use is usually somewhat heavier than the final bobweight of the finished rotating assembly. The reason for this is to ensure you won't need to add any metal to the crank during balancing. For normal applications, all you will need to do is lighten the counterweights down to the desired amount when the final balance job is done. Adding heavy (mallory) metal to a crank is a very expensive and time consuming process. Removing metal is simply a matter of drilling holes in the counterweights, which is a normal part of any balance job. This makes balancing inexpensive, easy, and able to be done by any local shop.

Shown here is our 3.75" stroke crankshaft for low deck "B" (383/400) engines. This crank is popular for 451 stroker setups in 400 blocks. Crank includes the following specs: Stroke: 3.750" / Block Type: B / Main Journal Diameter: 2.625" / Rod Journal Diameter: 2.375" / Rod Journal Width: 2.050" / Pre-Balanced Bobweight: 2300 Grams / Counterweight Diameter: 7.120" / Flange Bolts: 6 x 7/16" In Stock

When the machinist called I couldn't believe it. I thought I would be good to go. Apparently the stock Mopar crank is considerably heavier since all it needed was balancing, no Mallory Metal. I figured with the KB Hypereurtectic pistons that the weight would be light enough. Would an Eagle or Ohio crank be any different? Who knows. I understand they are all made in China and QC is not the greatest. I trust the machine shop to do it right.

george68hemirr

Reaction score
john.....good luck.....your in good hands with the man in the machine shop....so what are you doing with the rest of the motor.....total rebuild??

John69RR

Reaction score
Yeah. The block is at the shop to check clearances so it will be rebuilt, freeze plugs and cam bearings. Using the same cam and pistons as before. Not sure if I will use the Rollmaster timing chain again. Was a bit pricey but it offered multiple settings. Might go with a Cloyes or Comp Cams. The 440 Source cranks also require chamfered bearings. The rod bearings are off the shelf, but the mains are a little harder to find.

moparstuart

Reaction score
John69RR said:
I did talk to 440 Source before buying the crank. The crank is balanced with a bobweight of 2300 grams. Here is a "cut & paste" from their website.
All versions come pre-balanced at a specific bobweight (listed with the model,) setup for internal balance. The bobweight we use is usually somewhat heavier than the final bobweight of the finished rotating assembly. The reason for this is to ensure you won't need to add any metal to the crank during balancing. For normal applications, all you will need to do is lighten the counterweights down to the desired amount when the final balance job is done. Adding heavy (mallory) metal to a crank is a very expensive and time consuming process. Removing metal is simply a matter of drilling holes in the counterweights, which is a normal part of any balance job. This makes balancing inexpensive, easy, and able to be done by any local shop.

Shown here is our 3.75" stroke crankshaft for low deck "B" (383/400) engines. This crank is popular for 451 stroker setups in 400 blocks. Crank includes the following specs: Stroke: 3.750" / Block Type: B / Main Journal Diameter: 2.625" / Rod Journal Diameter: 2.375" / Rod Journal Width: 2.050" / Pre-Balanced Bobweight: 2300 Grams / Counterweight Diameter: 7.120" / Flange Bolts: 6 x 7/16" In Stock

When the machinist called I couldn't believe it. I thought I would be good to go. Apparently the stock Mopar crank is considerably heavier since all it needed was balancing, no Mallory Metal. I figured with the KB Hypereurtectic pistons that the weight would be light enough. Would an Eagle or Ohio crank be any different? Who knows. I understand they are all made in China and QC is not the greatest. I trust the machine shop to do it right.

dont buy the eagle one http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index ... 8.html#new

John69RR

Reaction score
44041506760-6 Crankshaft
This crank is popular for doing a 500" stroker setup in an "RB" (413/426/440) block. Crank has the following specs: Stroke: 4.150" / Block Type: RB / Main Journal Diameter: 2.750" / Rod Journal Diameter: 2.375" / Rod Journal Width: 2.050" / Pre-Balanced Bobweight: 2400 Grams / Counterweight Diameter: 7.480" / Flange Bolts: 6 x 7/16".
In Stock
The machine shop told me that Eagle is known for being eliptical and that the same company makes 440 source also. The above text is a copy of 440 source. The number on the crank in the Charger forum MATCHES the 400 Source number.

John69RR

Reaction score
$500.00 later I picked up the crank and block. The block was line honed, the crank had to have one piece of Mallory metal, balanced, new cam bearings and the mains are now .001" undersize. Now it's time to put it back together. Spent time with the family in San Antonio on Spring Break. Has anyone ever been on a Segway? Those are a trip. Took me about 15 minutes to realize that you won't fall over. Also spent a day in Bryan at a Beerfest. Now that was fun. There were over 200 beers. Hopefully I can start on it Monday. Heres a picture from Beerfest.

Jim S.

Reaction score
Also spent a day in Bryan at a Beerfest. Now that was fun. There were over 200 beers. Hopefully I can start on it Monday. Heres a picture from Beerfest.[/quote]

Hey whats my wife and her sister doing there? She said they were going to volunteer at the church for a couple days........ :toetap:

Sounds like the worst is behind you with the motor, good luck.

moparstuart

Reaction score
John69RR said:
$500.00 later I picked up the crank and block. The block was line honed, the crank had to have one piece of Mallory metal, balanced, new cam bearings and the mains are now .001" undersize. Now it's time to put it back together. Spent time with the family in San Antonio on Spring Break. Has anyone ever been on a Segway? Those are a trip. Took me about 15 minutes to realize that you won't fall over. Also spent a day in Bryan at a Beerfest. Now that was fun. There were over 200 beers. Hopefully I can start on it Monday. Heres a picture from Beerfest.
:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :leg: :leg: :leg:

Back