• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Making plans to return the car to PSMCD specs

mcmopar

Reaction score
UPDATE
I've been busy getting some parts/materials and cleaning up some parts in order to make the switch over one of these days.

- I cleaned up the 4 best trim rings for my 14" road wheels. The wheels will get cleaned up later.

- I dunked the original intake in a vat of Evapo-Rust for about 4 days to get as much rust off as I could then I gave it to my good buddy Jim for a tumble in his media tumbler to remove all the old paint and any left over rust. He says it looks like it just came out of the casting mold! Sweet! now I can paint it. Speaking of paint...

- I ordered and received my Chrysler Turquoise engine paint (yes my 383 is Turquoise because of the a/c option) from Restomotive Laboratories - the folks who make POR-15. I've used this stuff on 2 engines now and it is impervious to all substances except DOT3 brake fluid and power steering/transmission fluid. Carb sprays wont discolor it in the least.

- I got 2 sets(!) of stock rockers off ebay - one for $29.90 incl. shipping and the other for $21.90 incl. shipping. The 2nd set was a fluke as I didn't expect to win the bid for $9.99! The first set was $17.95 BIN + $11.95 shipping. they are used but for the price I figured it was a good deal.

- I ordered a pair of 2.5" inlet/outlet Magnaflow mufflers. 5"x8"x18" (24" long overall) oval shape. The ones on the car are 3" dia. but Pure Stock rules call for 2.5" max. diameter so I got these for $77.50 each.

- Jim ordered a new set of rear wheel bearings which will be going on the car soon.

That's it so far. I still have to yank the engine, disassemble it, hot tank the block and hone the cylinders. Then we'll mic everything and get new rod, main and cam bearings along with some new ARP rod bolts. I've got a set of 906 heads or I can get the hookup from Jim. He'll go through them and perform the valve job and install hardened seats. He also will install the valves, springs, seals, locks and retainers to NHRA specs. Max. allowable seat pressure according to Pure Stock Rules is 130 lbs. but the cam manufacturer recommends 105 lbs. so we'll be a-ok. I'll also need new belts and hoses all around.

I've got a 741 chunk with 3.91/cone type Sure Grip which was provided by Moparmoose (my bud Jerry) after his blue road runner clone burnt up which will get a freshening up before being installed for the races. Your bird lives on, Jerry!

The only other big ticket items I will need will be some 2.5" pipe bent for the exhaust and a set of Firestone 500 Wide Oval RWL bias ply tires in G70x14 size. The redlines are nice but the RWL is the only way to go IMHO.

It is good being employed again and my home business is doing very well right now also (which is what I am using to fund the car binge).

Hopefully it will be done within the year.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Sounds like your getting things lined up John, glad the finances are coming around :thumbsup: . Tell the Moose to drop in once and a while!

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Sounds like you are well on your way now John. It must feel good to finally be able to make your dreams come true! :thumbsup:

moparchris

Reaction score
He john you should order mandrel bends from Summit Racing and they sell straight aluminized pipe for a reasonalble price. I have built a few of these systems for my cars and have had awesome results with the best being Rusty Runner with times in 8.80s in the 8th at 82 mph which equates to a high 13 at just over 100mph. That was with a stock 140k motor and trans and 195/75 r 14 radials. Man I cant wait to see how it works out for you.

MuscleCar91

Reaction score
Not to be off topic but does anyone have a link or info on all the classes you can race in out there? Like psmcd, nhra etc. Thanks

mcmopar

Reaction score
For NHRA go to http://www.nhra.com/ and click on the Competition button (far right) for rules, etc.
For PSMCDR (Pure Stock Muscle Car Drag Racing and F.A.S.T. (Stock Appearing) classes go to http://purestockdrags.com/
For IHRA information go to http://www.ihra.com/
Note:
Pure Stock and NHRA/IHRA stock are 3 different animals. Yes, PSMCDR engine rules are based on NHRA specs the rules are much more restrictive as you'll see when you read the rules for each.
Pure Stock racing is really just for fun as no monies are involved while NHRA and IHRA racing offers prize and contingency monies.

MuscleCar91

Reaction score
mcmopar said:
For NHRA go to http://www.nhra.com/ and click on the Competition button (far right) for rules, etc.
For PSMCDR (Pure Stock Muscle Car Drag Racing and F.A.S.T. (Stock Appearing) classes go to http://purestockdrags.com/
For IHRA information go to http://www.ihra.com/
Note:
Pure Stock and NHRA/IHRA stock are 3 different animals. Yes, PSMCDR engine rules are based on NHRA specs the rules are much more restrictive as you'll see when you read the rules for each.
Pure Stock racing is really just for fun as no monies are involved while NHRA and IHRA racing offers prize and contingency monies.
Thank you, I've always heard different classes but since me and my dad have only raced during street car night running for the beat et we can I never really paid much attention but it would be nice to try something else out.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
glad to hear the work has picked up John. sounds like you're better off than last year by far.

mcmopar

Reaction score
UPDATE 3/10/11
Got the rocker arms in this week and the 2.5" Magnaflow mufflers just arrived today. Can't wait to get them on the car!
I'll be looking at an "X"pipe when it comes time to install the exhaust. The only big items left are a set of 906 heads, exhaust system and a set of bias ply Firestone 500 RWL G70x14 tires. I'm hoping to have it done by the end of the year. If the work keeps coming in I may have all the parts before then. To say I'm getting stoked is an understatement!

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
mcmopar said:
UPDATE 3/10/11
Got the rocker arms in this week and the 2.5" Magnaflow mufflers just arrived today. Can't wait to get them on the car!
I'll be looking at an "X"pipe when it comes time to install the exhaust. The only big items left are a set of 906 heads, exhaust system and a set of bias ply Firestone 500 RWL G70x14 tires. I'm hoping to have it done by the end of the year. If the work keeps coming in I may have all the parts before then. To say I'm getting stoked is an understatement!
i think i bought a X-pipe kit from summit...electric dumps is a blast too...sweet.....johnny.....looks like your plan is coming together.....good for you :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: [attachment=0:3l0vrq3e]DSC00192.JPG[/attachment:3l0vrq3e]

mcmopar

Reaction score
I'm going to have to do some looking to see if an x-pipe will fit with my driveshaft loop in place. May have to move it just aft of the loop for proper clearance. Not sure who's x-pipe I'm going to use. There are many different designs and many different prices as well. The fortunate thing is I still have plenty of time for that.

george68hemirr

Reaction score
mcmopar said:
I'm going to have to do some looking to see if an x-pipe will fit with my driveshaft loop in place. May have to move it just aft of the loop for proper clearance. Not sure who's x-pipe I'm going to use. There are many different designs and many different prices as well. The fortunate thing is I still have plenty of time for that.
it will be a custom fit and will work with time....yes there is a bunch out there and its what you want to spend :D

mcmopar

Reaction score
Doh! I just noticed your driveshaft loop in the pic (I'm a little slow you know). That location looks just about where mine will go. I've got to pay more attention to things! :crazy:

george68hemirr

Reaction score
mcmopar said:
Doh! I just noticed your driveshaft loop in the pic (I'm a little slow you know). That location looks just about where mine will go. I've got to pay more attention to things! :crazy:
as you notice they are also hanging down since they arent bolted up to the collectors and the driveshaft loop was moved back since i bolted on the gearvendors overdrive.....so your loop should be around 20 inches forward :D

mcmopar

Reaction score
I've got my loop mounted to the inner seat hold down bolts that come through the floorboards - no need to drill new holes in the floors that way. :thumbsup:

watt340

Reaction score
Glad to see another car will be at the Pure Stock Drags. It's a blast. :drive:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
watt340 said:
Glad to see another car will be at the Pure Stock Drags. It's a blast. :drive:
Welcome to the site Watt. Why don't you go to the intro section and tell us about yourself and your ride!

Back