• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Maybe a Moral or Ethical? Question???

jerrysdustydog

Reaction score
I'm sure I'm going to open up something here. I have always believed in restoring things correctly, and accurately. I am thinking about converting the rear appearance of my 68 to the look of a 69 (don't laugh). I know the rear bumpers are different, but really like the look of the 69 (who doesn't). I'm still in the pre-painting stage, but don't know if the rear fender extensions would fit off a 69 to a 68 fender??? Anyone ever try it? I have a good rear bumper and kinda wouldn't want to cut holes in it for the backup lights, so I might could get talked out of it easily. Just a thought. All comments appreciated! Yes my 68 had the extra chrome appearance package, so would have to fill in a few holes too. Maybe it's not worth it? Thanks, Jerry

sixgunrunner68

Reaction score
I'm all for upgrades and building it the way you want it. That being said, when it comes to changes that portray a false image, to me its pretty cheesy. If it's a '68 then it's a '68. Drop a bad ass engine in it and go.
:cents:

csuk9

Reaction score
I love the idea of modifying a car to what I like. The history of Hot Rodding is long and distinguished (like my Johnson) . But, if you have a clean car, make it nice and by a fixer upper to hack, chop, and Frankeinstine. You'll thank yourself later...

You can buy yourself a cold pop with my $0.02 :-D

dobie

Reaction score
I agree....the 68's are quite nice as well.....then again, I might be a bit biased. I prefer the 68's, as they were the original. Not to mention the fact that they were made in much fewer numbers as well.

4-32_zps1650675e.jpg

You'll notice I have a 6bbl hood on mine, which is definitely not correct. Many other things aren't correct either for the car, including the 4 speed transmission. Im a believer in building your car the way you want it. That said, I really don't think I'd ever go to the extreme of changing a whole appearance to a different model year. Id think it would be easier, and cheaper, to start off with a solid 69 RR if that's what you really want.

:cheers:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Jerry its your car just remember the quarter extensions are getting harder to find the deck lid is high dollar and hard to find and I'm not sure but I think you will have to trim the quarters to fit the extensions. Nothing wrong with a 68

droptop

Reaction score
You will need quarter extensions, tail lights and housings, and a deck lid from a '69. Leave it a '68 and be proud you own the first production year of the greatest muscle car ever produced. (2 cents)

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Quarter panels, deck lid, tail lights, quarter extensions are all different. Also where the quarters and extensions meets is different. That is the piece of the body that the extension bolts to. The trunk floor extensions are different too.

I've done the conversion on a race car to change classes way back when. It's a lot more work than you think.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Put a 68 and a 69 next to each other and you'll notice the angle of the quarter extensions is different.

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
droptop said:
You will need quarter extensions, tail lights and housings, and a deck lid from a '69. Leave it a '68 and be proud you own the first production year of the greatest muscle car ever produced. (2 cents)
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

jerrysdustydog

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I kinda figured that the angle might be different, adding to alot more work. Just got my new fender skins and outer wheelwells in, and front lowers if I need to replace them. Probably won't get started for 2 months or so, but just wanted to get this out of my plans (or into). If I can get this numbers matching, rust free, 383 4sp done, I've already found another Az rust free car in better shape with an original 4 sp and 440HP that I probably could pick up as cheap (and could probably drive it home if need be). SO I better get to fixing and flipping, after I play for a while. The other car is probably #s matching also, and It's gonna be there for a while. Guy has been offered $4K several times, but want's more, but it's silver or in primer. Jerry

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
jerrysdustydog said:
Thanks guys, I kinda figured that the angle might be different, adding to alot more work. Just got my new fender skins and outer wheelwells in, and front lowers if I need to replace them. Probably won't get started for 2 months or so, but just wanted to get this out of my plans (or into). If I can get this numbers matching, rust free, 383 4sp done, I've already found another Az rust free car in better shape with an original 4 sp and 440HP that I probably could pick up as cheap (and could probably drive it home if need be). SO I better get to fixing and flipping, after I play for a while. The other car is probably #s matching also, and It's gonna be there for a while. Guy has been offered $4K several times, but want's more, but it's silver or in primer. Jerry
Hoarder :lmao:

sam z

Reaction score
Ok...I always thought the 68 plain deck lid / tail end looks great. Better than 69. I prefer it
over the decor package tail end personally. I can't personally modify s%$#, so I'd leave it in
68 trim with the plain Jane deck lid. My :cents:

mac

What ?
Reaction score
i'll tell you what, if you find you are not happy with it, just give it to me and i will just deal with it. :devil: :jester:

V269

Reaction score
Big John said:
Quarter panels, deck lid, tail lights, quarter extensions are all different. Also where the quarters and extensions meets is different. That is the piece of the body that the extension bolts to. The trunk floor extensions are different too.

I've done the conversion on a race car to change classes way back when. It's a lot more work than you think.

A lot of work for a nock off look IMO. Big, I like the new catch phrase on your avatar. :lol: :thumbsup:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
V269 said:
Big John said:

A lot of work for a nock off look IMO. Big, I like the new catch phrase on your avatar. :lol: :thumbsup:
Its about time :jester:

Back