• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mismatched bumper chrome

6R9Runner

Reaction score
Does anyone care to trade me a nice chromed front bumper for an original "patina" front bumper? Its in really good shape, just needing better chrome to match my back bumper. Seriously, has anyone re-chromed a bumber, or is a re-pro bumper the better option?

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
6R9Runner said:
Does anyone care to trade me a nice chromed front bumper for an original "patina" front bumper? Its in really good shape, just needing better chrome to match my back bumper. Seriously, has anyone re-chromed a bumber, or is a re-pro bumper the better option?
I had both of mine straightened and re-chromed by concourse plating here in town for $75 a piece :thumbsup:

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
$75 is very cheap... expect to pay more.

One thing I've heard from many sources is to stay away from the "Bumper Boyz". They have a trailer full of bumpers at Carlisle.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
We don't have as tough of state EPA laws as some. Go to some car shows and ask the locals where they had the chrome work done. I did the same and when I asked about different levels of chrome, they said they only have one an most people like it. 2 bumpers,mirror, door handles, in and out and tail light bezels 750 bucks and its show chrome :thumbsup:

6R9Runner

Reaction score
There are a couple of established (30 yrs) chrome platers in Atlanta and Birmingham. The one in Atlanta has a photo gallery of old cars on their website so that looks promising. From what I have been reading, hexavalent chromium is carcinogenic so the EPA has pushed for the use of trivalent chromium which might or might not effect cost/ quality. Anyhow I'll talk to some locals as well to get more leads. Thanks.

6R9Runner

Reaction score
Big John said:

One thing I've heard from many sources is to stay away from the "Bumper Boyz". They have a trailer full of bumpers at Carlisle.

Thanks for the warning- being from Atlanta I prefer to deal with a local shop anyhow.

droptop

Reaction score
I had both of mine straightened and re-chromed by concourse plating here in town for $75 a piece :thumbsup:[/quote]

Do they have a web sight? It might be cheaper to ship parts to AZ to have them plated. Every thing around this area is from 300 to 450 for each bumper. I would say if chrome looked good on the grass, it would look good on my car.

droptop

Reaction score
6R9Runner said:

I have heard both sides of the repo bumpers. One guy told me his were a dirrect bolt on with not problems what so ever, and 2 other people told me that they were impossible to line up with the brackets to get them to look right. I do know the ft. repops don't look right to me.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
The chrome on the repops isn't very good, the factory stuff was better. As far as getting stuff chromed here the shipping might kill that deal. I'll check on a web site but I doubt they have one, its a small operation cash only :D I checked no web site

droptop

Reaction score
Big John said:

Always inspect before you pay with these guys. I had them do the ft bumper and guards on my '75. They had to do it the second time as I was not happy with it the first time. They will make it right, but it will cost you some time. Carlos is very easy to work with, I think he is the owner. But some of his staff can be hard to deal with. The best part about them, is that they are at most major shows. You can ship your cores to them and have them bring the finished product to a show that is near you. That way you can inspect before paying.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
6R9Runner said:

I'll trade ya my original,peeling chrome behind the license plate with two mystery holes for no apparent reason front bumper...... :D
$75 each? shipping can't be that high. If I ever get to the point of new bumpers, I'll send mine out to you Bob. A buddy is getting the bumpers off his '71 done, $1200 for the pair to do his bumpers..

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Basketcase said:
6R9Runner said:

I'll trade ya my original,peeling chrome behind the license plate with two mystery holes for no apparent reason front bumper...... :D
$75 each? shipping can't be that high. If I ever get to the point of new bumpers, I'll send mine out to you Bob. A buddy is getting the bumpers off his '71 done, $1200 for the pair to do his bumpers..
I had mine done awhile back, I can call and see what they charge now any you can check shipping to 85308. We can work out a handling charge for me driving this stuff around and repacking for shipping. :yesnod:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
wow....is Big messing with your avaitar too? :basketcase:
Yeah check into it, no rush. If it's still the same more or less,I'd like to get that done.

meepbeep69

Reaction score
I would be interested too.

I have the 69 Firebird that is going in when the RR comes home. (wee little itsy bitsy bumpers on that one)

Come to think of it I got one of my bumpers from the Nationals about ten years ago. Hmmmm were those the guys? :stooges:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
my first car wa sa '69 Firebird. OHC 6. paid $100 of my own money for it. great car. rough body though. sold it to delv into the dark side for a few years (Starsky & Hutch Torino). Kid I sold it to plowed into a phone pole within a week.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Basketcase said:
my first car wa sa '69 Firebird. OHC 6. paid $100 of my own money for it. great car. rough body though. sold it to delv into the dark side for a few years (Starsky & Hutch Torino). Kid I sold it to plowed into a phone pole within a week.
My first first '69 RR meat a similar fate after I sold it. The guy who bought it had it about 3 weeks and he put it into a guard rail and that was it for that car. :brickwall:

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
back in 96 i had my both bumpers rechromed for 300 each....he said if there was any rust in the corners where mother mopar stretched her thin to make bend they would be junk......mine was fine.....someplace in jersey did them and still very nice today......bumperboyz is junk.....a buddy bought some bumpers for his 39 ford.....peeled a year later

meepbeep69

Reaction score
I do need to check some prices. I can get Keystone to do it but they belted my brother about $800 for the T bird bumpers. Given there is a heck of a lot of chrome there. Think it is a 60 or 61 ragtop.

The Firebird front bumper has a small ding that needs to be worked out. It is a 400 so it has the holes in it and that happens to be where it has one of the dings.

I want to take that to a high #2 car so need a good shop....Please.

That will be mamma's toy. Maybe I can hunt down a RR ragtop in the future.

6R9Runner

Reaction score
Basketcase said:
Maybe the holes are for bumperettes?

Its 357 to 375 for a front bumper in the Atlanta area from established (30+ yrs) shops for triple chrome (copper, nickel, chrome) with a lifetime warranty. Its a 3 day process to strip, plate, polish, etc. I need to save a few more of my own coppers and nickels for the chrome. Thanks for the input/ comments.

Back