• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mopar Nats

dobie

Reaction score
Well, it was actually 0333 my time. :cool: I stopped home during work to eat, and I somehow found my way here. :thumbsup:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
This has nothing to do with this thread but so what. I just noticed that I'm a B5 club charter member :lol: :thumbsup:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
and just how many burn outs at a Burger King drive thru can we do before we get get caught![/quote]

It's funny you bring up BK, as that is where we have our mopar cruise-in, and burnouts are not allowed. If someone does one, they are banned from the cruise![/quote]

well when the manager of the Heath Burger King is using a hose to make a water box, and tells us to "burn out", it's hard to pass up. although Dobie did a better one than I did.

dobie

Reaction score
:devil: That was fun, wasn't? I'd say we were about even......... :drive:

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
Ok, here is my Ohio drinking experience. I sold a machine in Maryland and the guy payed me to deliver it. I think with my Dodge Ram 2500, gooseneck and equipment I grossed 23,250 pounds. I stopped at all of the weigh stations on the way out, just because I wanted to be on the up and up. On the way out the only problem I ran into was at the station just south of Columbus this old man told me he had been busting guys like me all day and he was having a ball. Made me pull out back and checked me all out. I was overweight by like 250 lbs. He called in the dot officer and then got pissed because the guy let me go. This was in the north bound lane. No more issues all the way out and all the way back until I hit the same weigh station on the south bound lane. FYI, I was empty, truck and trailer only. I had a buddy with me and he had a cooler of beer in the back of the truck. He didn't have it on the way out. Again they pull my out back and call a dot officer and he rights me up for no medical card, no log book and having alcohol in a commercial vehicle. Quarantined me for 24 hours and made my buddy drive the truck until we got out of his sight and he was the one that had been drinking the night before. 6 months later I got a letter (ticket) in the mail for about $1200.................. :eek:

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
Ok dobie, so it is illegal to drink in public or have a open container in public, do you just stick it in a can cooler or hide it completely? I'm a little nervous after my last ordeal......... :lol:

dobie

Reaction score
Keep in mind I can't speak for anyone but myself. As a general rule though, I'd at least put a can cooler over it, or pour it into a plastic cup. I'll say though that if you're attending a large event like the Nats (Heath cruise), you would probably be ok. At events like that, officers generally let things slide, unless they're forced to take action. Meaning, make sure no one in your party is causing a scene, drawing special attention from LEO's.

As a rule, burnouts are a big no no. There were cops all over the place, as Basket knows. I'll say though that I got yanked once by a Trooper. He was extremely nice and polite, and gave no ticket. And, he had no knowledge of my profession until after he said no cite. Basically, his warning was not to do that crap right in front of him, which I did. :jester: I didn't know he was behind me.

Anyways, just use caution and restraint. For as much crap as our group did, we walked away clean. Oh, and one of our guys got yanked by the same Trooper as me, twice, and just got a "talking to" both times. Unless the issue is forced, you should be fine.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
This has nothing to do with this thread but so what. I just noticed that I'm a B5 club charter member :lol: :thumbsup:

:jester:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
dobie said:
Keep in mind I can't speak for anyone but myself. As a general rule though, I'd at least put a can cooler over it, or pour it into a plastic cup. I'll say though that if you're attending a large event like the Nats (Heath cruise), you would probably be ok. At events like that, officers generally let things slide, unless they're forced to take action. Meaning, make sure no one in your party is causing a scene, drawing special attention from LEO's.

As a rule, burnouts are a big no no. There were cops all over the place, as Basket knows. I'll say though that I got yanked once by a Trooper. He was extremely nice and polite, and gave no ticket. And, he had no knowledge of my profession until after he said no cite. Basically, his warning was not to do that crap right in front of him, which I did. :jester: I didn't know he was behind me.

Anyways, just use caution and restraint. For as much crap as our group did, we walked away clean. Oh, and one of our guys got yanked by the same Trooper as me, twice, and just got a "talking to" both times. Unless the issue is forced, you should be fine.

Dobie's pretty much hit the nail on the head for any "Columbus" Mopar Nats that I have ever attended (been going since '90 and have only missed a couple) - and I have never even bothered to put my beer in a plastic cup. Just drank it right out of the bottle or can...

However, as for that three (IIRC) year stretch that the Nats were held in Indy in the nineties - I have to rant a bit. God what an oppressive nightmare that was!!! Especially the first year. Once the crowd lining the street got aggitated (booing and such...) with the LEOs for trying to shut down the cruise and specifically ANY AND ALL burnout action, they retalitated by harrassing the crowd. Open containers were suddenly an issue. I PERSONALLY WAS NOT CONFRONTED (I like to keep a low profile...), but saw plenty needless "policing". After a bewildering Friday night, a bunch of the cars were back out on Saturday night wearing "Back to Columbus" fliers on their windshields, back glass, or side windows; they were promptly cited for having obstructed vision... Thank God that National Trail was subsequently upgraded and we could return and get the hell outta there. Strangest thing to me is this all occurred in the SAME CITY that lets you get away with just about anything short of violent crime when the 500 is going on...???!!!
:huh:

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
dobie said:

Dobie's pretty much hit the nail on the head for any "Columbus" Mopar Nats that I have ever attended (been going since '90 and have only missed a couple) - and I have never even bothered to put my beer in a plastic cup. Just drank it right out of the bottle or can...

However, as for that three (IIRC) year stretch that the Nats were held in Indy in the nineties - I have to rant a bit. God what an oppressive nightmare that was!!! Especially the first year. Once the crowd lining the street got aggitated (booing and such...) with the LEOs for trying to shut down the cruise and specifically ANY AND ALL burnout action, they retalitated by harrassing the crowd. Open containers were suddenly an issue. I PERSONALLY WAS NOT CONFRONTED (I like to keep a low profile...), but saw plenty needless "policing". After a bewildering Friday night, a bunch of the cars were back out on Saturday night wearing "Back to Columbus" fliers on their windshields, back glass, or side windows; they were promptly cited for having obstructed vision... Thank God that National Trail was subsequently upgraded and we could return and get the hell outta there. Strangest thing to me is this all occurred in the SAME CITY that lets you get away with just about anything short of violent crime when the 500 is going on...???!!!
:huh:

Yeah, I remember that. The Mopar community was on fire about that one. In fact, I think there was a movement to grow the Englishtown show to replace the Nats.

The funny thing is the only Nats I've managed to make was Indy back in '83 and I really enjoyed myself. I think as it grew, it got a little too much for them.

To tell a similar story, in Syracuse we had the big Car Craft show two years in a row back in the eighties. The first one went well... but the second one had the local police overreacting a bit. They first had Erie Blvd (the main spot for cruisng then) watered down by the DPW. Then they started writing tickets for just about anything.

Car Craft left, never to come back. A year or so after, I was hosting a Northeast Hemi Owners meet in Syracuse. I called the local "Syracuse Visitors Bureau" and was told we weren't welcome in Syracuse!

Time goes on and I was involved with some other car clubs and the Syracuse Visitors Bureau came to talk to us one evening about how the Syracuse wanted the car clubs to have shows in the area... I raised my hand and commented how I had been told we weren't welcome... I got asked "who told you that" and when I said "you did". I got a "well they shouldn't have said that"... and I said "no... it was you I talked to on the phone, I remember your name"... Well... there was a lot of staring at the floor and her boss got up and said that won't happen again.

It didn't... in fact I helped host another NEHOA meet and the visitors bureau made up special booklets and the whole deal for us... A complete turn around.

Syracuse now hosts a huge show every Summer, the Syracuse Nationals. Almost 7000 cars... There are cars everywhere... and no serious problems.

http://www.rightcoastcars.com/shows/syn/

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Big John said:
I got asked "who told you that" and when I said "you did". I got a "well they shouldn't have said that"... and I said "no... it was you I talked to on the phone, I remember your name"... Well... there was a lot of staring at the floor and her boss got up and said that won't happen again.
:lmao:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
[quote="Big John":u4lq5tln]I got asked "who told you that" and when I said "you did". I got a "well they shouldn't have said that"... and I said "no... it was you I talked to on the phone, I remember your name"... Well... there was a lot of staring at the floor and her boss got up and said that won't happen again.
:lmao:[/quote:u4lq5tln]

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
"And Don't Mess Around With Big....."

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
and I wonder what crap jobs that broad was doing the next day....

dobie

Reaction score
It seems as the Carlisle cops don't take too well either to the activities. We've never had a problem, but every year I hear stories. Of course, I take that with a HUGE grain of salt.

One day I hope to drive the Runner over to Carlisle. :drive:

Back