• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mopar Performance Viscous Fan Package

ykf7b0

Reaction score
I am contemplating getting a Viscous Fan Package from Mopar Performance for the advertised horsepower gain to replace my aftermarket flex fan. I would like to read your comments regarding this unit. I have read where some are having clearance problems with the clutch and the factory radiator on the roadrunner's. Let me know what you like and what I should avoid.
Thanks!

moparchris

Reaction score
I have one on my six pack Bee and it works well and clears my radiator easily. In the past i have run it on my 383 Runners before and on one car only it hit the radiator. :cents:

ykf7b0

Reaction score
I've just begun looking at them. I don't know if they're available. I haven't even thought of that.

JJRJR

Reaction score
I wanted to get this for my 383 as well, but looks like they are way back ordered. I'm getting aluminum radiator so looks like I'll have clearance issues as well. Back to the drawing board. LOL.

John

ykf7b0

Reaction score
The flex fan I currently have works great but it is the "up to 15 horsepower" potential gain I am after. The Mopar Performance Viscous Fan Package with its lightweight 5 blade fan and the energy saving viscous clutch is supposed to get me there if their claim is valid. I trust that it is.

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
That just means that they made a 15 blade fan out of pure lead and ran it on a test engine. Then replaced it and what'll you know? 15 more HP. Marketing propaganda at its finest.

A31PKG

Reaction score
SomeCarGuy said:
Just run a 91 Jag clutch from Napa with any stock fan. Cheaper and works great.

I have heard of this..... Could you post a pic of your set-up?

ykf7b0

Reaction score
SomeCarGuy said:
That just means that they made a 15 blade fan out of pure lead and ran it on a test engine. Then replaced it and what'll you know? 15 more HP. Marketing propaganda at its finest.
You could be right but the research I've just found compares this fan and clutch to the common lightweight flex fan. The claim is that at high rpm the clutch will engage and allow some slippage therefore reducing horsepower drag to keep the fan turning at the unnecesary high engine rpm just to keep the air moving. The fan itself is an asymmetrical design that is also reported to require less horsepower to spin. The fan is a 5 blade versus the old 7 blade found on most big blocks and is much lighter in weight and, if it matter's, quieter. If I were buying a shivvy or phord fan setup with claims of horsepower increases I would be even more skeptical but I do want to trust these innovative Mopar engineers because they have always been the cutting edge. History proves this as their credits include; anti-lock brakes, electronic ignition, torsion bar suspension, and the Hemi. Anyway, I will probably never know if it's a measureable horsepower gain but I do appreciate the feedback regarding this topic!

A31PKG

Reaction score
generaljmwlee said:
I had clearance issues and went with the jag setup works great

Thanks for posting the pic :thumbsup:

I was hoping that the flange holes were actually holes instead of slots...oh well!

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
Those pics look like mine was.

LOL at taking Mopar marketing at thier word over others. Buy what you want nontheless.

I've run the Mopar package back before they raised the cost to the moon. A nice setup but I would have noticed 15 more HP and also saw it on the ET slip.

The clutching action worked well and you could see it take place while reving the engine. The Jag clutch does that for far less.

ykf7b0

Reaction score
SomeCarGuy said:
Those pics look like mine was.

LOL at taking Mopar marketing at thier word over others. Buy what you want nontheless.

I've run the Mopar package back before they raised the cost to the moon. A nice setup but I would have noticed 15 more HP and also saw it on the ET slip.

The clutching action worked well and you could see it take place while reving the engine. The Jag clutch does that for far less.
Yea your right. Mopar rated the 426 Street Hemi at 425 HP and knew that everyone that went out the door was over 500 HP just to give their buyer's a break with the insurance. I quess it's better not to take them at their word. LOL

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
That was 40 some years ago. Today look no further than all their crappy parts. The Purple cam scam, mexican leaf debacle, Stage 6 head junk. The list goes on. The fan package was good when it was 40 bucks. I think last I bothered to pay attention to those clowns it was over 100 bucks. No thanks. If you want to throw the MP catalog at your car, go right ahead.

ykf7b0

Reaction score
SomeCarGuy said:
That was 40 some years ago. Today look no further than all their crappy parts. The Purple cam scam, mexican leaf debacle, Stage 6 head junk. The list goes on. The fan package was good when it was 40 bucks. I think last I bothered to pay attention to those clowns it was over 100 bucks. No thanks. If you want to throw the MP catalog at your car, go right ahead.
I don't have a clue what you are talking about but it is obvious you have had some issues with Ma Mopar. I have most of the parts you are talking about and I will go with the MP engineering over the (built for shivvy and adapted to Mopar aftermarket) most of the time. I'm not saying the fan package is legit but the reason I started this thread was to get opinions from those who use or have used it. Anyway, thanks for you opinion regarding this thread. Merry Christmas to you and your family!!!!

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
ykf7b0 said:
I am contemplating getting a Viscous Fan Package from Mopar Performance for the advertised horsepower gain to replace my aftermarket flex fan. I would like to read your comments regarding this unit. I have read where some are having clearance problems with the clutch and the factory radiator on the roadrunner's. Let me know what you like and what I should avoid.
Thanks!

Look guy, here is your original post.

Read that and then listen to somebody that knows more about what you asked, AND knows what you asked. You CLEARLY wanted to know what people had experienced with that part. Go back right now and read what you wrote. If you don't understand that you have no place to come back after a member that posted EXACTLY the type of answer you are looking for, then maybe you shouldn't come around here. I've never said anything like that to anybody on here, but your posts warrant that.

It is beyond naive to trust marketing. You do that at your own peril. I don't care one bit what you put on your car. I do care that you want to get chippy when all I did was tell you exactly the information you wanted.

As for MP, if you don't know about the reputation that joke of a company has, then well, you better spend some quality time researching the issue. They are hands down one of the worst suppliers in the hobby. They have overpriced, low quality JUNK.

ykf7b0

Reaction score
Again, thanks for your opinion. Merry Christmas! p.s. Is your Mopar for sale?

Back