• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

More leaks. . . and other BS

JJRJR

Reaction score
I think I'm having the famed rear main seal leak issue that many of you seem to have had. Anyone have a good solution? How hard are these to change? Does motor and tranny have to come out?

You wouldn't think I just had this car restored would you? Live and learn.

Seems odd that the valve cover started leaking as well. I think when the mechanic plugged the breather hole with a chrome cap, it may have created enough vacuum inside the engine to blow some gaskets? Valve cover gasket should be easy enough, but not sure on the rear main.

Thanks,

John

Roadcuda

Reaction score
The rear main seal can be changed with the engine in the car. That's how it was done on mine, and it still has a small leak, but no where near as bad as it was before.

4spd69RR

Reaction score
I have heard you can drop the oil pan replace the seal. I have never done this so I will be watching this post for additional ideas.

droptop

Reaction score
You may be correct about the breather. How many miles on the engine? Some blow by is common until the rings get seated.

JJRJR

Reaction score
droptop said:
You may be correct about the breather. How many miles on the engine? Some blow by is common until the rings get seated.

Brand new engine, 400 miles.

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
You can drop the pan and do it, but you will need to lower the crank. Trans has to come out for that. Gets to be just as easy to pull the engine and just reseal the whole thing.

Back