• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

more white stuff

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Roadcuda said:
mac said:
ACME A12 said:
I wore a long-sleeved shirt today if that makes you guys feel any better...

:jester:

Yeah, I know. Into the corner for a time-out...

:toetap:

long sleeve shirts are for peolple who can't handle the cold. :jester:

stay in your corner. :haha:
Mac, I thinks that's a good start, but maybe we should kidnap him, and bring him anywhere up north where there is cold, and snow, and ice, and let him think about it for a while! :jester:

No kidnapping required; I'm headed up to Montreal in a couple of weeks... Life just has a way of "getting even" with you... :D

Big, my youngest sister and her family lived in Watertown for a number of years. My brother-in-law was stationed at Ft. Drum. I visited them once in the winter there. TONS OF SNOW. :jester:

Ray

Skidz

Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
We get just enough snow that the idiots never learn how to drive in it. That makes travel very bad for the people that know to respect white roads........ :brickwall:
It makes no difference how much snow you get. It could snow here everyday of the year and there would still be plenty of idiots that don't know how to drive in it.

John69RR

Reaction score
Skidz said:
Hoosier Bird said:
We get just enough snow that the idiots never learn how to drive in it. That makes travel very bad for the people that know to respect white roads........ :brickwall:
It makes no difference how much snow you get. It could snow here everyday of the year and there would still be plenty of idiots that don't know how to drive in it.
How true. It is especially true after a freeze down here. I stay off the roads and allow all those "know how to drive" drivers
get on the news. :lol:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
back in the '80s Dad was going to Collage in Kentucky. They would get what we'd call flurries, and the town would shut down. He found out that a few years back, a school bus was on a back road, and went over a hill and some kids were killed. The town has no snow equipment. I 64 passes right by the town. The state does the Interstate first, then makes a pass on the main streets. But the secondary roads don't get plowed.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Big John said:
Snow is pretty much taken in stride around here. That and we have the plows to handle it. In all the years I've worked, I've only missed one day of regular work because of the snow. I've gone home early twice.

The schools close or are delayed because of the snow, but really its because of the liabilty issues that come up. They will close if the temperature drops to less then -10* too or if the wind chill gets too bad, but its very unusual for any roads or stores to close because of the weather.

I was working in Bridgeport, CT about 10 years ago at the GE plant and everybody was talking about the coming snow storm. It had started snowing a little when I went out for lunch. I came back and the place was deserted. I asked where everyone went and they said everyone left because of the storm.... So I thought they meant a storm was coming.... Turned out the light snow that I thought nothing about was the "storm".
John, what I think the biggest problem was, is Interstate 95. I had put a lot of miles in on that road while driving truck, and the 3 years I was in charge of our paper plant in Bridgeport, and with all the traffic it is at best, when the weather is good, a nightmare. When it rains, or snows, it becomes worse. During one snow storm my normal 50 minute drive home took 3 hours. That road is extra busy because it is the main route of traffic from the south going into New England. So these people are most likely trying to beat the traffic home. Or, it's just an excuse to get out of work early!

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Roadcuda said:
John, what I think the biggest problem was, is Interstate 95. I had put a lot of miles in on that road while driving truck, and the 3 years I was in charge of our paper plant in Bridgeport, and with all the traffic it is at best, when the weather is good, a nightmare. When it rains, or snows, it becomes worse. During one snow storm my normal 50 minute drive home took 3 hours. That road is extra busy because it is the main route of traffic from the south going into New England. So these people are most likely trying to beat the traffic home. Or, it's just an excuse to get out of work early!

Yea, that could be. I found out early to avoid most of the highways around there I'd come in via Rt 25 and Rt 8 and stay mostly on the Post Road (Rt 1) around Milford for everything. I used to go there 4 times a year for at least a week and sometimes longer.

BTW, I couldn't believe how rough that town is... Someone robbed the Credit Union bank inside the GE plant one day just before I got there. They got past the guard (not very hard) and went through the plant and went upstairs and stuck a gun in the face of the teller, robbed her and left without ever getting caught. :eek:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Big John said:
Roadcuda said:

Yea, that could be. I found out early to avoid most of the highways around there I'd come in via Rt 25 and Rt 8 and stay mostly on the Post Road (Rt 1) around Milford for everything. I used to go there 4 times a year for at least a week and sometimes longer.

BTW, I couldn't believe how rough that town is... Someone robbed the Credit Union bank inside the GE plant one day just before I got there. They got past the guard (not very hard) and went through the plant and went upstairs and stuck a gun in the face of the teller, robbed her and left without ever getting caught. :eek:
I believe that John. Our plant down there is just off the highway in a not so good neighborhood. Just this past year there was a murder commited a few blocks north of our place. Along time ago that part of the state was refered to as the "armpit of the northeast!"

Skidz

Reaction score
Roadcuda said:
I lived in Rhode Island for about 20 years. Jeez, I-95 was a joke. The people there were stupid drivers in perfect weather. Forget about rain or snow. In bad weather it was just a long skinny parking lot.

Back