• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My A12 clone project

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
moparholic4bbl said:
Been hanging out at the liftoff hood playground and realized I probably need to look for birds of the same flock.

Several of us on here are members of that site too. They like everything just so; don't use the wrong screws for this or the bolts without the proper markings for that...and they are very cliquish... Then they can't understand why the newbies don't get involved... :basketcase:
I will say that there are some really good and knowledgeable people over there though... Over here, if you post - you're in the clique. We're extremely low maintenance... :lol:

:jester:

moparchris

Reaction score
I dont do the lawn chair thing too much. I prefer a dragstrip myself. I go to pretty much every one of the Flings and buy parts. This year I am going to sell more than likely. I am going to the Van Nuys cruise on Feb 9th, its the 100th anniversary of the cruise. Should be a good one.

moparholic4bbl

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
moparholic4bbl said:
Been hanging out at the liftoff hood playground and realized I probably need to look for birds of the same flock.

Several of us on here are members of that site too. They like everything just so; don't use the wrong screws for this or the bolts without the proper markings for that...and they are very cliquish... Then they can't understand why the newbies don't get involved... :basketcase:
I will say that there are some really good and knowledgeable people over there though... Over here, if you post - you're in the clique. We're extremely low maintenance... :lol:

Already feelin' mighty welcome. Not to sound 'redundant'...but nothin like a good old fashioned mopar country welcome. : :stooges:

moparholic4bbl

Reaction score
moparchris said:
I dont do the lawn chair thing too much. I prefer a dragstrip myself. I go to pretty much every one of the Flings and buy parts. This year I am going to sell more than likely. I am going to the Van Nuys cruise on Feb 9th, its the 100th anniversary of the cruise. Should be a good one.

Yeah I hear ye. http://www.toyotaspeedwayatirwindale.com/dragstrip/site/dragsched.asp

And the Van Nuys cruise is good. Heard the don't have the old chevy lot or Ralphs anymore so wonder where the cars are going to stage? Unless its goin to be 100% cruise.

Speaking of which, here's a fun flick:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3MOXwdkJp8

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
kinda hard to see Jay behind the roof pillar. better try again... :acme:
thanks for the pic! did you get to talk to Jay?

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Timing.... I just downloaded a book for my Kindle on the Turbine car.

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Big John said:
Timing.... I just downloaded a book for my Kindle on the Turbine car.

Moved past paperbacks or even hardcovers? Not a judgmental question, Big - just a question borne of curiousity.

For some reason (simply back to me being just plain old school at my core if I had to wager a guess...) I always wonder when I see someone on an airplane with one of those..."Now why don't you just have the printed version...???" I'm always thinking "So the Paperback wasn't working for you - was it just too heavy to put in your 'The North Face' backpack? Maybe you're a tree Hugger and can't bear the thought of one of those giant gang saws slicing up yet another precious pine??? Or worse yet, you've gotta show the world how Techno-Savvy you are with your CrackBerry, IPhone, and the endless array of Personal Electronic Devices at your disposal, including your Kindle?" Sometimes I think maybe they have a legit excuse like 4,000 books already cluttering up the den, but not very often...

Just curious what led you down that path versus traditional printed reading material...

Big John

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
[quote="Big John":1dh5uhc8]Timing.... I just downloaded a book for my Kindle on the Turbine car.

Moved past paperbacks or even hardcovers? Not a judgmental question, Big - just a question borne of curiousity.

For some reason (simply back to me being just plain old school at my core if I had to wager a guess...) I always wonder when I see someone on an airplane with one of those..."Now why don't you just have the printed version...???" I'm always thinking "So the Paperback wasn't working for you - was it just too heavy to put in your 'The North Face' backpack? Maybe you're a tree Hugger and can't bear the thought of one of those giant gang saws slicing up yet another precious pine??? Or worse yet, you've gotta show the world how Techno-Savvy you are with your CrackBerry, IPhone, and the endless array of Personal Electronic Devices at your disposal, including your Kindle?" Sometimes I think maybe they have a legit excuse like 4,000 books already cluttering up the den, but not very often...

Just curious what led you down that path versus traditional printed reading material...[/quote:1dh5uhc8]

Well... Mrs Big John is a voracious reader. I bought her a Kindle for Christmas in 2009 and it turned out to be fantastic for her. She takes that thing with her everywhere. Its saved us money and there's no pile of books laying around.

I played with it a couple times and thought I might like one, so she bought me my own Kindle for my birthday. As it turns out, I love the thing.

I'm not a big "techno" guy, I don't have a crackberry... or a MP3 player ... or an Ipod... or anything like that. I have a plain industrial strength cell phone and I even have a dial telephone in my garage. The Kindle... just makes sense. I can download books from Amazon cheaper then buying them, some even for free. I can have several books stored on my Kindle for reading and can switch back and forth as I want. Right now, I have Atlas Shrugged and the Turbine book and a couple of others. I have a little light that clips to the side so I can read in bed without disturbing my wife and I can also enlarge the type so I can read without my glasses.

Its a great device. I read more now then I have in years. Oh... and I've never even owned a back pack and as far as being a tree hugger.... well... My Excursion has a remote starter for the diesel to warm up before I get in it. I think of it as making my carbon footprint just a little bigger.

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Makes perfect sense for the reasons you've cited...and I know you're no tree-hugger or any of the other things I pondered...I was referring to the people I see with them but didn't word that so as to be perfectly clear... :lol:

Maybe I'll have to put my stone tablets aside and get in step... :D

Jim S.

Reaction score
Big John said:
Well... Mrs Big John is a voracious reader. I bought her a Kindle for Christmas in 2009 and it turned out to be fantastic for her. She takes that thing with her everywhere. Its saved us money and there's no pile of books laying around.

I played with it a couple times and thought I might like one, so she bought me my own Kindle for my birthday. As it turns out, I love the thing.

I'm not a big "techno" guy, I don't have a crackberry... or a MP3 player ... or an Ipod... or anything like that. I have a plain industrial strength cell phone and I even have a dial telephone in my garage. The Kindle... just makes sense. I can download books from Amazon cheaper then buying them, some even for free. I can have several books stored on my Kindle for reading and can switch back and forth as I want. Right now, I have Atlas Shrugged and the Turbine book and a couple of others. I have a little light that clips to the side so I can read in bed without disturbing my wife and I can also enlarge the type so I can read without my glasses.

Its a great device. I read more now then I have in years. Oh... and I've never even owned a back pack and as far as being a tree hugger.... well... My Excursion has a remote starter for the diesel to warm up before I get in it. I think of it as making my carbon footprint just a little bigger.

Atlas Shrugged is a great and scary book. It is like reading about what exactly is happening to us now. We are becoming vulnerable. I have said for 20 years that China is our biggest threat. Another great book is "Showdown" by Jed Babbin which talks about just that. Guess this thread is officially off topic now. :lol:

Big John

Reaction score
Jim S. said:
Atlas Shrugged is a great and scary book. It is like reading about what exactly is happening to us now. We are becoming vulnerable. I have said for 20 years that China is our biggest threat. Another great book is "Showdown" by Jed Babbin which talks about just that. Guess this thread is officially off topic now. :lol:

I've been working on it for a while now. You're right.... Its a bit scary how the book rings true.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Here is another little twist to this thread. I was listening to an economist on the radio and he was talking about online buying and the effects on employment. He used Netfix as an example as to how it has just about shut down the video stores you walked into that employed a staff at each store, now you order online from a warehouse with a few packers. He then went on to say that the music dept of Best Buy will be the next to fall. I buy online stuff myself and it is sometimes cheaper because of the lack of overhead, but then greed sets in. For the last few years my wife can only renew her nursing license online, today she is going to do it again but now there is a $2 online fee charged on top of the $200 license fee and they want it 6 months earlier where as before it was to save money. Once a monopoly is formed the deals go away.

Big John

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Here is another little twist to this thread. I was listening to an economist on the radio and he was talking about online buying and the effects on employment. He used Netfix as an example as to how it has just about shut down the video stores you walked into that employed a staff at each store, now you order online from a warehouse with a few packers. He then went on to say that the music dept of Best Buy will be the next to fall. I buy online stuff myself and it is sometimes cheaper because of the lack of overhead, but then greed sets in. For the last few years my wife can only renew her nursing license online, today she is going to do it again but now there is a $2 online fee charged on top of the $200 license fee and they want it 6 months earlier where as before it was to save money. Once a monopoly is formed the deals go away.

Its like the car replaced the horse and TV replaced the radio.....

If they're not careful, someone will come along, figure something cheaper/better/faster and they'll be out of business too!

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Absolutely, as in movies on demand. But hey my car still has points and condenser :lol:

John69RR

Reaction score
Big John said:
[quote="Jim S.":3rrxuadn]

I've been working on it for a while now. You're right.... Its a bit scary how the book rings true.[/quote:3rrxuadn]

I am reading this one also. A friend at work suggested it. He keeps asking me "Who is John Gault?" I need to finish it so I can tell him.

moparholic4bbl

Reaction score
Jim S. said:
[quote="Big John":3jngmfpl]Well... Mrs Big John is a voracious reader. I bought her a Kindle for Christmas in 2009 and it turned out to be fantastic for her. She takes that thing with her everywhere. Its saved us money and there's no pile of books laying around.

Atlas Shrugged is a great and scary book. It is like reading about what exactly is happening to us now. We are becoming vulnerable. I have said for 20 years that China is our biggest threat. Another great book is "Showdown" by Jed Babbin which talks about just that. Guess this thread is officially off topic now. :lol:[/quote:3jngmfpl]

I'm actually in China right now so I know exactly what you mean. They're becoming more capitalist over here then Americans from the look of it. And the from what I hear Obama has a communist approach so things have certainly flip flopped. I think the best thing we can do is stop buying cheaper Chinese (and Japanese or any other import) and buy 'Made in the USA' Guess that's one reason I like my mopar. :thumbsup:

And these Kindle things do look convenient. Though not sure if an Ipad is just as good or a must also have.

Back