• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My new project 69 roadrunner

moparchris

Reaction score
Alright guys here are some more updated pics of what I have done recently to my rustyrunner. My goal was to get it road worthy so I can make it my daily driver since the weather allows yearound driving in an old car. First up was a new gas tank. The old tank was so rusty that I counted 15 holes in it with the largest one being on the bottom and being sealed by the tank strap! When I started to loosen the strap nut, which broke just like every other fastener the car owns, the tank started to leak BAD! What a mess. :red2:

moparchris

Reaction score
Okay next was the brakes. Not only were there 11 x 2 1/2 shoes on a 11 x 3 drums but they were on backwards. So I decided to replace the shoes and generally go over the brakes since their work didnt impress. No pics of the brakes. After that shocks, they were shot and the rears had those trick coil overs that were no longer attached due to rust. Of course they didnt come out without a fight so they got the plasma cutter, I win. The shock crossmember in the rear was rusted out and broke. I really cant replace it since there is nothing to attach it to, the frame rails are as thick as tissue paper. So I did my best to weld it back to the exitsing crossmember and frame rail. I am pretty happy with the outcome and hopefully it will hang in there till I can get the rear half rust free.

moparchris

Reaction score
Transmission does a great impression of the Exxon Valdez in my garage so I resealed it and added a B&M shiftkit to it. Next was the exhaust system. I purchased 3 u bends, 2 90s, 2 45s, and 12 feet of straight mild steel tubing with an aluminum coating 2 1/2 inch in diameter. I took the flowmasters off of the parts car that will ultimately donate its rear half to this car.

moparchris

Reaction score
I still have more to go but I am in that process still. Here are some more pics of the extent of the rust in the rear. I knew what I was getting into when I bought it on fle-bag but I was sure I could fix it.....we will see. I did buy a 68 Satelite parts car that is the most rust free car I have ever owned. The funny part is that I first saw the parts car posted on Craigslist fro $2500 and I tried to justify spending that much on it for the parts and in reality it was cheaper to buy a parts car than buy all new sheetmetal from AMD. Well I passed on it and then I spotted it on fle-bag for a few hundred dollars so I bought it! It now resides in my back yard awaiting disection. I will take a lot of pics for refence since its a low mileage original paint car. Its a non undercoat car and you could wax the bottom of it.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
You have been a busy boy :thumbsup: I wish I had a lift to work on my toys :yesnod:

moparchris

Reaction score
I used to be a mechanic proffessionally and quit. For the last 8 years I have been doing all the work on my cars on jack stands in my driveway at home. When I finally broke down and started renting my shop it strapped me for cash but has been well worth it. Now I have a hoist and can work standing up and have room to work on multiple things with little frustration. I bought that hoist you see off of Craigslist for $500. When I went to remove it from the Goodyear tire store, they had 4 of them for the same price so I bought all of them. I sold the others to my friends and some of them put them up on the side of their house outside. Thats what I was going to do until I ran accross this shop for cheap.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
That looks like quite a project there Chris good luck with it! I'm getting to the point where I would love to have a lift when I need to work on my cars. I need to check the brakes on the Barracuda and I don't really look forward to getting on the ground to do it. That ground seems to be getting farther and farther away every day now. :jester:

roadrunnerh

Reaction score
Thanks for the pics and information! Wow, you have some work ahead of you, but you seem more than capable of getting it done! I loook forward to watching your progress.

On a side note.....I really like the custom air cleaner lid..... :jester:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Roadcuda said:
That looks like quite a project there Chris good luck with it! I'm getting to the point where I would love to have a lift when I need to work on my cars. I need to check the brakes on the Barracuda and I don't really look forward to getting on the ground to do it. That ground seems to be getting farther and farther away every day now. :jester:
I hear ya. When I go under a car anymore I plan a trip, take extra tools, phone cause you know its going to ring, extra rubber gloves so you can re-glove after the freaking phone rings, bandage for when you bust your knuckles, more gloves for the after first aid thing, maybe a drink, and a small pillow to rest your head and wonder why you went under the wrong side of the car. :lol:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Roadcuda said:
I hear ya. When I go under a car anymore I plan a trip, take extra tools, phone cause you know its going to ring, extra rubber gloves so you can re-glove after the freaking phone rings, bandage for when you bust your knuckles, more gloves for the after first aid thing, maybe a drink, and a small pillow to rest your head and wonder why you went under the wrong side of the car. :lol:
Yeah, I always try to bring all the tools I think I'll before I go under the car. It hasn't happened yet! :brickwall:

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
Looks like you are making some head way. If the parts car has a good rear half, why not save it as well instead of killing it off to fix this one? :drive:

moparchris

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Roadcuda said:

And the damn concrete is sooo cold! Even though I have the lift I still have to work on the floor as you can see in one of the pics two of my other cars are on jack stands. Cant win em all.

moparchris

Reaction score
SomeCarGuy said:
Looks like you are making some head way. If the parts car has a good rear half, why not save it as well instead of killing it off to fix this one? :drive:

The parts car is just a shell with no VIN or any other identifying marks. Its a 68 and the VIN number is on the fender tag and then the shipping order number is stamped on the body. The car is missing both the VIN and the fender tag so there is no way to get a title to it even if I wanted to. Its kind of a shame but I will make the best out of it.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
moparchris said:
69hemibeep said:
Roadcuda said:

And the damn concrete is sooo cold! Even though I have the lift I still have to work on the floor as you can see in one of the pics two of my other cars are on jack stands. Cant win em all.
Try finding some pieces of old carpet, the thicker the better. Working at a paper recycling plant, you wouldn't believe what else people throw out besides paper. I had found several pieces of carpet already cut up into 3'x4' sizes. It gives you a little cushion from the cold, hard, concret. I use it every time I have to get under a car. It does make a difference. :thumbsup:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
someone's been busy! the exhaust looks great Chris. Keep at it and you'll have that runner in shape in no time. Keep the pics comming! Love to see that parts car too.
Your rust is kinda strange. I got fenders for my other car from Salt Lake, and they were mint.
Steve getting on the ground isn't the problem....it's getting back up!

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Basketcase said:
someone's been busy! the exhaust looks great Chris. Keep at it and you'll have that runner in shape in no time. Keep the pics comming! Love to see that parts car too.
Your rust is kinda strange. I got fenders for my other car from Salt Lake, and they were mint.
Steve getting on the ground isn't the problem....it's getting back up!
You got that right Dave!

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Looks good Chris! Keep at it... :thumbsup:

Nice score on the parts car...can't think of a more dignified end for a VIN-less Satellite than to save a RR... :D

:jester:

Back