• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

need advise on electric system upgrade/replacement etc

chargerbelgium

Reaction score
Hi guys, I want to go through the electric system.
That means that I am looking to buy the better parts to build a trouble free (more or less) driver.

I was wondering if ordering and installing a full MSD system (distributor/6AL box/wires/coil) isn't an over kill on a stock 383? (+-$680)
As the saying goes 'don't fix something that ain't broke' I could order it on a later date.

About the alternator, been looking at the 1-wire TuffStuff ALT but I guess there 're better parts for less $, right? Any ideas to share?

I feel like I want to replace the plugs and wires, going through the engine wire harness, bypass the ALT-meter and clean up the engine bay.

Any good advice it appreciated!
Thanks CB

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I think you can spend your $$ better than that MSD system, but i pulled the electronic ignition off mine and went back to points.
I'd look over your harness, mainly the engine harness since the wires tend to get brittle from the engine heat. If all looks good, "Let it Be" (Sir Paul)

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Stay with the stock non-isolated field alternator (wrongly called the single field by most) and upgrade to an electronic regulator like the replacement Wells VR-706 (or Duralast). The MSD is overkill, but I loved the one I had on my A12. A lot of people swear by the Chrysler electronic conversion and I think you can't go wrong with it.

One more thing about alternators. Don't get swept up in the "Gotta have a lot of amps" hysteria. Unless you have a high wattage stereo, electric fans, a/c etc. you don't need anything better then stock. Anything else wastes money and horsepower.

ykf7b0

Reaction score
I have the MP electronic conversion set-up with the orange box and it has been installed for 15+ years and has been trouble free. The spark is plenty hot with my Moroso Blue Max plug wires as my 10 second E.T.'s will testify. The only issue I have ever had with stock alternator's has been with amps produced's at low rpm but I am running an electric fuel pump.

mahoney0_00_3

Reaction score
if you are racing? get the race MSD if you are driving on the street get the mopar kit orange box my kit is 25 years old and it works like new put it and forget it! the spark is hot and it works great I have it on all 5 mopars I own AL16964_103884009636159_3729697_n.jpg

16964_103884009636159_3729697_n.jpg

chargerbelgium

Reaction score
Ok thanks all for your input.
I've read good things about the Firecore ready to run distributor, wires and coil. I'm taking that route also because it eliminates the ballast resistor and ECU.

I just ordered a new harness from Y1 (-25% sale ends on monday 7/13)

Any advise on which ALT I should buy?

Thanks! CB

Last edited:

ykf7b0

Reaction score
If you have upgraded your wiring and bypassed the useless ammeter the Denso 210 0138 will do a great job.

Back