• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help convincing myself to like my Yellow RR

Sammy Buchanan

Fall Back to my Youth
Reaction score
My first car was a 66 Belvedere that was yellow with a black vinyl top in interior and thought it looked pretty decent even for a mo-door. A few years later I got a 67 Dart that was red. It was faded pretty bad for being only 6 years old. Buffed it out but it didn't last for very long as it quickly faded again. Fast forward to 2001 and a 97 diesel powered Dodge pickup came into my life. It's red and was faded AND peeling. Kinda surprised me how bad it was for being 5 years old but it sure runs good still. Got it for a real decent price since the paint was looking pretty bad. The paint on my 66 still looked nice when I got rid of it when Uncle Sam called me in 71. Nope, don't like red.....but, found a 96 Dakota that's in really nice shape and has been repainted. Don't know how long ago but it's faded a bit.....and it's red too. :( The diesel is Red 1 and the Dakota is Red 2. I would leave the runner yellow if it were mine.
Cool read we all have r stores of r past...Some of the best memories I have of my youth has my cars in them..lol

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Maybe this will give you some Idea of why I went with B5 blue. Red-rusted- bad body work and metal missing every where and to top it off Mustang bucket seat. Along with a poor mounting of a automatic floor shifter with two screw's holding it to the shift hump. IMG_0104.JPG IMG_0105.JPG IMG_0101 (1).JPG

Sammy Buchanan

Fall Back to my Youth
Reaction score

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Thanks Sammy. I have wanted a runner since I was a kid. I looked high an low. No body wanted to finance a car this old so bought this one for 7 thou. The motor runs strong. But not numbers matching but period correct. Don't know where they got the running gear. Think it came out of a 68. It has mixed matched drive train. But the body was all numbers matching. So I am building it the way I would have wanted it. Four speed bucket seats with console. May one day put a different motor in it but for now the 383 is enough. So hope you enjoy your car and think I your lucky that it is drive able and don't look bad at all. Yellow-blue-red-green-purple or what ever it is a roadrunner. I also now have the A833 transmission. Had fun finding part's like bellhousing and every thing to make it a four speed car again like it was in the day. So enjoy. Russ. :beep:

Sammy Buchanan

Fall Back to my Youth
Reaction score
Thanks Sammy. I have wanted a runner since I was a kid. I looked high an low. No body wanted to finance a car this old so bought this one for 7 thou. The motor runs strong. But not numbers matching but period correct. Don't know where they got the running gear. Think it came out of a 68. It has mixed matched drive train. But the body was all numbers matching. So I am building it the way I would have wanted it. Four speed bucket seats with console. May one day put a different motor in it but for now the 383 is enough. So hope you enjoy your car and think I your lucky that it is drive able and don't look bad at all. Yellow-blue-red-green-purple or what ever it is a roadrunner. I also now have the A833 transmission. Had fun finding part's like bellhousing and every thing to make it a four speed car again like it was in the day. So enjoy. Russ. :beep:
I'm quite sure when u get that runner going it will be quite the head tuner for sure !!!! Enjoy

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Yep and one of the first thing's to prove it is back is lay down some rubber. :lol: Could not let this one go too the crusher. This is how it is looking so far!!!!IMG_0108.JPG

Last edited:

RonLiv

Reaction score
79339223_3168219153193829_3953024170513661952_o[1].jpg Saw this morning on the 69 Roadrunner FB Page. Looks like Y2 to me. I dig this color. This car is beautiful man. 79339223_3168219153193829_3953024170513661952_o[1].jpg

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Maybe this will give you some Idea of why I went with B5 blue. Red-rusted- bad body work and metal missing every where and to top it off Mustang bucket seat. Along with a poor mounting of a automatic floor shifter with two screw's holding it to the shift hump. View attachment 29466 View attachment 29467 View attachment 29468
All that scared up stuff at the top was Bond O. I mean they used a gallon their or better. Never know what your going to find till you open that can of worm's.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Hope i

hope it was cheap!
7 thou. for the car. Was it cheap I don't know now that I have had to find part's stripped off the car. Those part's where not cheap. But one hand tried to finance one and the bank would not loan the money on that old of a car. Like most guy's getting one to restore find out a lot of parts are broke or wore out and need to be replaced. So replacing those things are not cheap. At least I am not paying for labor cost.

RKNRLR

Reaction score
Well i bought mine in "good" nick, but have pretty much gone through the entire drivetrain, motor, fuel delivery system, suspension - the list goes on. Its all good, until its no good.

Rich B

Reaction score
I can’t say either what rr’s cost at the yards, you will definitely have the last laugh Russ.

TimS

Reaction score
Great Thread! My 2 cents here would be to keep your very nice yellow Roadrunner the original color. As suggested, find a red one and buy it, then sell the yellow one. If your heart is dead set on having a red one. I have had the same problem over the years as yellow is not my favorite color but have had allot of yellow cars and had fun with each of those regardless of the color.

Sammy Buchanan

Fall Back to my Youth
Reaction score
Great Thread! My 2 cents here would be to keep your very nice yellow Roadrunner the original color. As suggested, find a red one and buy it, then sell the yellow one. If your heart is dead set on having a red one. I have had the same problem over the years as yellow is not my favorite color but have had allot of yellow cars and had fun with each of those regardless of the color.
Hey thanks Tim....For the great advice,I thinking i will do just that ..!!!

Plybeep68

Acceleratii Incredibus
Reaction score
Great thread, it's a road runner ! What's not to love about it ? They look great in any color, my 68 is 95% done and doing metal work on my 69, I've always said build them the way " you" want it , don't worry about people's opinions, I've have some negative comments from people at shows over the viper blue on mine !
Keep up the great work folks !

Sammy Buchanan

Fall Back to my Youth
Reaction score
Great thread, it's a road runner ! What's not to love about it ? They look great in any color, my 68 is 95% done and doing metal work on my 69, I've always said build them the way " you" want it , don't worry about people's opinions, I've have some negative comments from people at shows over the viper blue on mine !
Keep up the great work folks !
Well Said!!!!

Back