• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help- electrical question.

Bryan_H

Reaction score
Good morning- I need to see if anyone can help me to identify this part- what is it for, and is it an original part of the vehicle?

It's located on the firewall, close to the driver's side (next to the master cylinder.) The heavy gauge red wire on the right is coming directly from the battery terminal. The heavy gauge wire on the bottom is heading to the starter. The light gauge black wire to the left- I have no idea what this is, or where it's going...bu the vehicle has no power (no accessory lights, will not start) if it's disconnected.

This square, box shaped part, is causing me some issues- I'm apparently not getting a good 12v connection here. I have to wiggle this thing around, sometimes, in order to get the vehicle to turn over (engage the starter.)

Any thoughts on what this might be? Is it necessary? Is it original? Is it just some type of power distribution block, with no real other functionality?

Appreciate the help, gang. Thanks! Firewall.jpg

Firewall.jpg

Bryan_H

Reaction score
I think it is the starter relay now that I've looked into it a bit further. What I can't understand is why all 3 wires are hooked onto the same post on the relay. My car does have an electronic ignition added onto it--- and I don't know if you need a starter relay once you have an electronic ignition. I'm wondering if the prior owner just used this as a power distribution block if the starter relay was no longer needed. In other words, it became a good place to junction all of the 12v power together without having to buy another part, or make another modification.

pinkpanthr

Reaction score
I think it is the starter relay now that I've looked into it a bit further. What I can't understand is why all 3 wires are hooked onto the same post on the relay. My car does have an electronic ignition added onto it--- and I don't know if you need a starter relay once you have an electronic ignition. I'm wondering if the prior owner just used this as a power distribution block if the starter relay was no longer needed. In other words, it became a good place to junction all of the 12v power together without having to buy another part, or make another modification.

Doesn't look right to me, mainly because on mine the positive battery cable runs direct to the starter then feeds back up from there to the relay. I too have electronic ignition and still use mine. Looks like creative engineering to me, but you should probably get one of the more experienced guys opinion.

pinkpanthr

Reaction score
By the way electronic ignition refers to the method of spark transfer in the distributor cap. Shouldn't have anything at all to do with the starter.

Bryan_H

Reaction score
Doesn't look right to me, mainly because on mine the positive battery cable runs direct to the starter then feeds back up from there to the relay. I too have electronic ignition and still use mine. Looks like creative engineering to me, but you should probably get one of the more experienced guys opinion.

Are you able/willing to shoot me a picture of yours? So I can see what it looks like?

earlyrides

Reaction score
starter relay.
this keeps the high amps needed to turn starter from having to go through the key switch.
definitely needed.
here is a diagram of wires.

starter_relay_detail1.jpg

Bryan_H

Reaction score
starter relay.
this keeps the high amps needed to turn starter from having to go through the key switch.
definitely needed.

Early- okay, then this brings up another question for me. So, consider this- my starter relay has essentially been bypassed. All 3 of the 12v wires are connected together on one post- one coming from the battery, one going to the starter, and the 3rd smaller wire, which I still have no idea what it's doing...but the car is totally dead without it. So, this tells me that there must be another relay wired into the system, somewhere.....or else the starter would be constantly turning. Consider that the 12v lead from the battery is connected directly to the starter right now...there's got to be another relay in the system that causes the starter to engage when I turn the key.

Would/could this have anything to do with the fact that the starter on my Bird has a solenoid on the starter? Could it be wired differently because of that?

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Yes, you need the starter relay. Without it, you will be replacing that expensive ignition switch very soon.

And... It looks to me like someone has cobbed that together.... Time to buy a new relay (local NAPA store) first. Then go to our reference section and find the service manual. Spend some time studying the wiring diagram and rewire the car right.

The solenoid is stock and belongs on the starter.

In a nutshell.......The ignition switch energizes the relay, the relay energizes the solenoid, the solenoid pulls the starter into the ring gear and closes the contact to energize the starter motor.

earlyrides

Reaction score
Yes, you need the starter relay. Without it, you will be replacing that expensive ignition switch very soon.

And... It looks to me like someone has cobbed that together.... Time to buy a new relay (local NAPA store) first. Then go to our reference section and find the service manual. Spend some time studying the wiring diagram and rewire the car right.

The solenoid is stock and belongs on the starter.

In a nutshell.......The ignition switch energizes the relay, the relay energizes the solenoid, the solenoid pulls the starter into the ring gear and closes the contact to energize the starter motor.

:yeathat:

Bryan_H

Reaction score
Good morning. Can anyone provide me with an up close photo of how your starter relay is wired? I've seen wiring diagrams that show 4 posts on the relay, and wiring diagrams that show 5 posts on the relay. I ordered a new relay from NAPA, and it has 3 posts. It appears that my factory relay has 3 posts, as well. I'm greatly confused here.

I do know that the starter relay is different for manual and automatic transmission- mine is a manual. Any photos would be welcomed! Thanks!

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Good morning. Can anyone provide me with an up close photo of how your starter relay is wired? I've seen wiring diagrams that show 4 posts on the relay, and wiring diagrams that show 5 posts on the relay. I ordered a new relay from NAPA, and it has 3 posts. It appears that my factory relay has 3 posts, as well. I'm greatly confused here.

I do know that the starter relay is different for manual and automatic transmission- mine is a manual. Any photos would be welcomed! Thanks!
Hope this helps

roadrunner restoration 107.jpg

Bryan_H

Reaction score
Thanks! Okay, so your relay also has 3 prongs? The fusable link and a line from the battery are together on the big post at the top. The yellow wire should come out of the square harness on the firewall. Where does your third wire go? Back to the starter solenoid?

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Thanks! Okay, so your relay also has 3 prongs? The fusable link and a line from the battery are together on the big post at the top. The yellow wire should come out of the square harness on the firewall. Where does your third wire go? Back to the starter solenoid?

Yep...

4spd69RR

Reaction score
The line from the battery connects to the same location as the fusible link. The middle line (should also be a Red 12 AWG wire) runs down to the Starter Solenoid. The yellow wire comes from the Bulkhead connector position "T".

Last edited:
Back