• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need Tunes!!!

mannye

Reaction score
I don't know if this should go in tech or in here, but whatever.
Does anyone know if those "hidden audio" systems are also "non invasive?"
I want music, but I don't want to make any holes or deviate from "correct" in any way.

I have my original am/fm thumbwheel radio which I am sending off to be restored, and to remove the gold and diamonds that must be inside (so expensive to get my hands on!) and I also have one of those am only thumbwheel radios. I might be happy with just the radio if it sounds decent... anyone ever heard one with the original single speaker? Must be like a symphony, right? :lol:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
mannye said:
I don't know if this should go in tech or in here, but whatever.
Does anyone know if those "hidden audio" systems are also "non invasive?"
I want music, but I don't want to make any holes or deviate from "correct" in any way.

I have my original am/fm thumbwheel radio which I am sending off to be restored, and to remove the gold and diamonds that must be inside (so expensive to get my hands on!) and I also have one of those am only thumbwheel radios. I might be happy with just the radio if it sounds decent... anyone ever heard one with the original single speaker? Must be like a symphony, right? :lol:
I have originals and they lack sound let alone a symphony. I have a symphony under the hood :lol:

ArcDevilz

Reaction score
I am actually thinking of setting up an amplifier with at least 4 6X9 speakers and a sub box. My main method of delivering music will be using my cell phone. I set up a music server that my phone can log into and essentially stream every song in my library.
I will either connect to the amps via a mini stereo or blue-tooth. If I go blue-tooth I might actually be able to answer calls as well. I think most head units these days are clumsy and dated. I can get GPS interwebs etc.....

mac

What ?
Reaction score
i have a thumbwheel radio that was converted with digital internals from Retro Radio Restoration. i have a dual cone 4x6 speaker in the dash and 2 6x9's in the rear. has jacks to input signal from cd changer(what i have), mp3 player, or what ever you want to use. its a 40 watt per channel with all the adjustments (bass, treble, balance, fade). looks original and sounds great. www.retoradio.biz

mannye

Reaction score
Excellent suggestions! Thanks guys... thank you especially mac for the wonderful avatar... never ever change it!

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
mac said:
i have a thumbwheel radio that was converted with digital internals from Retro Radio Restoration. i have a dual cone 4x6 speaker in the dash and 2 6x9's in the rear. has jacks to input signal from cd changer(what i have), mp3 player, or what ever you want to use. its a 40 watt per channel with all the adjustments (bass, treble, balance, fade). looks original and sounds great. http://www.retoradio.biz

Yep, that's the guy I talked to at Carlisle. He's a dealer for the place I mentioned.

mannye

Reaction score
Did a little scrounging in the parts bin and I came up with:

1 self powered infinity subwoofer. Very compact which I got on ebay many moons ago.
2 Sony Xplod (they are well named because the sound makes you say Sh!T! that's awful) 5 or 6 inch speakers... what the heck...they are "free" right?

Now I have to find a way to mount the sub somewhere that is semi easy to remove for shows, get some repro kick panels to cut up, (too bad no one makes reproduction convertible rear panels) and I should be able to run the two front speakers off the sub's integrated amp (need to take a closer look) Then feed music to the whole contraption via an ipod or a mini10v! If I can find a decent non-invasive way to mount the 10v, I will even have movies, etc.

Pictures will be posted.

droptop

Reaction score
mannye said:

1 self powered infinity subwoofer. Very compact which I got on ebay many moons ago.
2 Sony Xplod (they are well named because the sound makes you say Sh!T! that's awful) 5 or 6 inch speakers... what the heck...they are "free" right?

Now I have to find a way to mount the sub somewhere that is semi easy to remove for shows, get some repro kick panels to cut up, (too bad no one makes reproduction convertible rear panels) and I should be able to run the two front speakers off the sub's integrated amp (need to take a closer look) Then feed music to the whole contraption via an ipod or a mini10v! If I can find a decent non-invasive way to mount the 10v, I will even have movies, etc.

Pictures will be posted.

Reproduction interior panels are available.

mannye

Reaction score
droptop said:
mannye said:

Pictures will be posted.

Reproduction interior panels are available.

Really? Rear panels? Who sells them?

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
mannye said:
Excellent suggestions! Thanks guys... thank you especially mac for the wonderful avatar... never ever change it!

Mac does change his aviatar, but it just gets better! :drool: :drool:

I finally got the time to put my radio in the other day. am/fm/cd I had in the other truck since I don't have a stock one. I hook radios up before I mount them just to make sure everythins OK. damn thing kept shutting off. worked fine when it was in the truck. :huh: I'll wait for another day.

mannye

Reaction score
Basketcase said:
mannye said:

Mac does change his aviatar, but it just gets better! :drool: :drool:

I finally got the time to put my radio in the other day. am/fm/cd I had in the other truck since I don't have a stock one. I hook radios up before I mount them just to make sure everythins OK. damn thing kept shutting off. worked fine when it was in the truck. :huh: I'll wait for another day.

Sometimes it can be a pain when just one little wire is not connected right!

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
yeah it is. I had the directions for this radio, but i can't remember if they were in the old garage, and there is no guide on the radio its self. just poke and hope.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Basketcase said:
yeah it is. I had the directions for this radio, but i can't remember if they were in the old garage, and there is no guide on the radio its self. just poke and hope.
What brand radio is it Dave? I just found another Pioneer 6 disk cd player off ebay that I'm going to put in my Barracuda. I went to their website and looked up the model and was able to find the installation instructions for it. That might be worth a try.

mannye

Reaction score
Basketcase said:

Try the Crutchfield website. They have a lot of instructions on various radios. Post the model number here and let's see if we can't find the adapter for it.

sam z

Reaction score
I want an old 8-track mounted under the dash of my car personally. If there is some way to get it to work along with the cd player that's already in the car that would be a bonus.

mannye

Reaction score
sam z said:
I want an old 8-track mounted under the dash of my car personally. If there is some way to get it to work along with the cd player that's already in the car that would be a bonus.

I am sure that if the CD player has an aux in, the you might be able to do that.

Back