• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need your input on value for insurance

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
SomeCarGuy said:
69hemibeep said:
An Agreed value policy is about $150. a year on $25000. coverage, its cheap. :cents:

Who sells that policy that cheap? I put in that it is modifed becasue of the headers and intake. OEM cars are cheaper.

I'm not seeing anything that cheap so far.
You are right, OE cars are cheaper :yesnod:

glhcarl

Reaction score
I have my RR and 66 Coronet 500 insured for $22,000 and $8,500 respectively. Hagerty full coverage, agreed value, roadside assistance, towing, etc it runs me less than $275 a year.

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
We do have some screwed up no fault BS insurance crap things here.

NO way I get those rates here. I played around at the Grundy site and I have to put in a value of like 10-12K to get a policy for 215

mcmopar

Reaction score
That's weird. I would expect it to be more expensive down here. When I first got the collector car insurance it was more expensive - up around $297 at Heacock. I switched to Grundy in '05 and it was cheaper, but not by much. I guess maybe I'm getting a break for having no claims - plus I'm over 50 so that may help, too. :drive:

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
KY is one of the most highly taxed, stupidly ran states around. The no fault crap adds about 30% to your bill right off the bat. Of course, that in turn increases the tax you pay as well.

If I hadn't lived here all my life I damn sure wouldn't look to move here. I mean, seriously, would you move to a state that has a high cost of everything? Businesses have to pay a "gross receipts" tax- even if they lose money. You read that right, lose money and still pay a tax.

So I'm sure you can get cheaper car insurance there and with your AARP discount, you are well below what I would pay. :beep:

mcmopar

Reaction score
Don't have AARP and won't either - but that's another story...(they are BIG supporters of OBamaCare for one). Most insurers give an automatic discount when you reach 50, just like when you get married, etc. Its just one of their built-in breaks.
We have a similar setup here in Florida. No fault car insurance and taxes out the wazoo. Our businesses have to pay what are called "intangible" taxes. They tax all your intangibles; business equipment (hardware and software included), vehicles, the works - whether you make a profit or not. Then there are the business licenses, collection of state and local sales taxes that must be paid to the state and on & on it goes ad nauseum. I honestly don't see how anyone in business makes any money down here.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
mcmopar said:
Don't have AARP and won't either - but that's another story...(they are BIG supporters of OBamaCare for one). :cheers: I hear ya on that. They are not going to get a dime from me as long as they are political :cheers: I just looked and I pay $339 for 50,000. and its $150. for every $25000. over that. Now I have to figure what to increase mine to today while I'm thinking about it.

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
How could AARP justify that stance publicly- senior's get Medicare. Why would they need Obamacare?

In other news, Obama is attempting to get all the doctors that haven't been sued, to get sued. Me and my wife were shocked to hear some hardcore Democrat doctors we know are looking to switch party's over this. People that we would have never expected to change. :eek:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I just went over to NADA to check runner values and what has been said here is pretty much on the money $15,000 low $22,000 medium and $36,000 high 383 4spd car :thumbsup:

mcmopar

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
I just went over to NADA to check runner values and what has been said here is pretty much on the money $15,000 low $22,000 medium and $36,000 high 383 4spd car :thumbsup:

Wow - that is good news. I may have to reconsider what I would take if someone made me an offer I couldn't refuse. :crazy: (BTW Big John - can we get a wink smiley?)

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
I'm not sure what to think of NADA. They sure can't track late model stuff very well. Thanks to them, I have had to pay tax on my truck above what I paid for it at a Ford dealer no less. In fact, I think this year, in the 5th year of ownership, I got a bill that was only a few hundred more than what I gave for it.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
mcmopar said:
69hemibeep said:

Wow - that is good news. I may have to reconsider what I would take if someone made me an offer I couldn't refuse. :crazy: (BTW Big John - can we get a wink smiley?)
I'd give you high end if it wasnt green, (insert wink smliie here) :lol: NADA goes by the most recent auction prices as I see it on muscle cars.

dstryr

Reaction score
Be sure to compare 'basic' coverages from Hagerty or whatever specialty insurer you are considering. Hagerty, who I use, plugs in their bottom end coverage for Liability, $25,000 per accident, Liability PD(property damage) $25,000, Medical, $1000 per person/per accident, and uninsured/underinsured $25,000/person or $50,000 per accident.

Even $100,000 of coverage on the vehicle doesn't mean much if a person is found liable and the basic coverages don't cover costs of an accident. Lawsuits are expensive and a settlement could force the sale of the collector vehicle.

I suppose there is a good balance, depending on other personal factors, of auto insurance coverage and also carrying a personal liability 'umbrella' policy, but I don't know enough about that to fill a thimble. :brickwall: :lol:

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
dstryr said:
Be sure to compare 'basic' coverages from Hagerty or whatever specialty insurer you are considering. Hagerty, who I use, plugs in their bottom end coverage for Liability, $25,000 per accident, Liability PD(property damage) $25,000, Medical, $1000 per person/per accident, and uninsured/underinsured $25,000/person or $50,000 per accident.

Even $100,000 of coverage on the vehicle doesn't mean much if a person is found liable and the basic coverages don't cover costs of an accident. Lawsuits are expensive and a settlement could force the sale of the collector vehicle.

I suppose there is a good balance, depending on other personal factors, of auto insurance coverage and also carrying a personal liability 'umbrella' policy, but I don't know enough about that to fill a thimble. :brickwall: :lol:

Well said.

My Dad always told me not to be insurance poor. He said to make sure you didn't lose what you couldn't replace and not worry about what you could. Too many times people worry about replacing the car when the real worry is protecting your home and business. You can lose a car and still get through life OK... Lose your home or investments because of a mistake and you're screwed. Myself I have some higher liability limits on all my vehicles and an umbrella policy.

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
It took a couple of days but this is what came-

Agreed Value - $12500 modified

Liability - $500000

Comp and Collision - Comp and Collision

Deductible - $0

Quote Information

Liability Rate - $35

Comp and Collision Rate - $175

Deductible Rate - $0

Bodily Injury/Property Damage Liability - $500000 with Comp and Collision

Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist - Statutory Limit

Med - Payments (State Limit) Included

Tax - $0

Total (this vehicle)- $210.00

Quote Generated on Monday, August 10, 2009

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
I'll have to check on getting it bumped to 15K. If it isn't much more, it will be worth doing.

I forgot that this is a no deductable policy. I like the 500K liabilty.

Anybody have anything good or bad to say about Grundy?

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you think the car is worth $15K then tell them $20K...you never know what can happen...think more in terms of replacement cost...

:jester:

moparstuart

Reaction score
SomeCarGuy said:
It took a couple of days but this is what came-

Agreed Value - $12500 modified

Liability - $500000

Comp and Collision - Comp and Collision

Deductible - $0

Quote Information

Liability Rate - $35

Comp and Collision Rate - $175