• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Never built an engine.

bstan70rr

Reaction score
I have fixed lots of parts of an engine, but nothing major. And I have never even thought of building one. I like good ol' stock engines. Anyway, I was just passing some time on ebay and noticed this crate engine. Don't spend too much time on this guys, but what do you think he has into this motor? I am wondering how much it probably cost and how much he stands to make. I AM NOT INT THE MARKET FOR A MOTOR. I am just curious......about the engine....nothing gay. LOL !!!

I took out a lot of salesman type literature and left the specs.

MARK'S PERFORMANCE ENGINES

THE ONLY REASONABLY PRICED, BALANCED & BLUEPRINTED, HIGH HORSEPOWER BIG BLOCK 440 MOPAR!

MOPAR 440 CID / 490 HORSEPOWER COMPLETE STREET / STRIP CRATE MOTOR!!

*** 2 YEAR / UNLIMITED MILE WRITTEN WARRANTY ***

POWER & SOUND OF A BIG BLOCK FOR A SMALL BLOCK PRICE!

MOPAR HP CYLINDER HEADS

FORGED STEEL CRANK

FORGED STEEL RODS

COMP CAMS "PURPLE PLUS" HYDRAULIC HP CAM (#21-671-4, ENGINEERED FOR THE BIG BLOCK MOPAR & BETTER VERSION OF MOPAR PERFORMANCE "484" CAM)....AWESOME SOUNDING IDLE & POWER YET STREETABLE!!!

MOPAR 440 CID / 490 HORSEPOWER COMPLETE STREET / STRIP CRATE MOTOR!!

THERE'S NO REPLACEMENT FOR CUBIC INCH DISPLACEMENT!!

BALANCED & BLUEPRINTED (NO PRODUCTION LINE)

If want to upgrade that old, tired DODGE / PLYMOUTH / CHRYSLER 383, 400, 413, 426 WEDGE or 440, and bolt in extra horsepower & torque then this MOPAR 440 Crate Motor by MARK'S PERFORMANCE ENGINES would be an EXCELLENT choice with 490 Horsepower @ 6100 rpm and 505 FT/LBS of torque @ 4300 rpm. This engine has an AWESOME musclecar idle & lope with enough camshaft to give it ALOT of extra streetable power! If being used with an automatic transmission then a 3000 rpm stall speed torque converter (STILL VERY STREETABLE) should be used. A 750 or 850 cfm carburetor is recommended (Optional: See Below, Add $330 for an EDELBROCK 750 cfm \ $500 for a PROCOMP 850 cfm). This engine runs on leaded or unleaded premium pump fuel. THERE'S NO REPLACEMENT FOR CUBIC INCH DISPLACEMENT!!

The BALANCED rotating assembly (typically includes: Crankshaft, Pistons, Rings, Connecting Rods, Rod Bearings, and Harmonic Balancer) featured in this engine:

DODGE 440 FORGED Steel Crankshaft
DODGE FORGED Rods With ARP Rod Bolts
SPEED PRO/SEALED POWER HP Pistons (9.0:1 Compression / PUMP GAS OK!)
HASTINGS HP Rings
HIGH PERFORMANCE MOPAR / DODGE / PLYMOUTH / CHRYSLER CRATE MOTOR

REGULAR PRICE: $7,590!!!!!!

ALL NEW / NEVER INSTALLED IN VEHICLE!

HORSEPOWER: 490, TORQUE: 505 FT./LBS. (VERY STREETABLE / PUMP GAS FRIENDLY!)

MOTOR COMES AS SHOWN (MOPAR #902 HP CYLINDER HEADS, MOPAR HP CAST IRON DUAL-PLANE HP INTAKE MANIFOLD, HP DISTRIBUTOR, OIL PAN, H. BAL., TIMING COVER, WATER PUMP ETC. AS PICTURED)!!!!

BLOCK: MOPAR / DODGE / PLYMOUTH / CHRYSLER 440

HEADS: MOPAR #902 HP CYLINDER HEADS (WITH HARDENED EXHAUST SEATS FOR PUMP GAS COMPATIBILTY)

CRANKSHAFT: DODGE 440 FORGED Crankshaft

PISTONS: SPEED PRO/SEALED POWER HP Pistons (9.0:1 Compression)

CONNECTING RODS: DODGE FORGED Rods

MACHINE WORK:
Oven Baked / Shottabrated / Jet Washed & Magnifluxed (Completely Cleaned & Checked For Cracks)
Cylinders Bored (WITH TORQUE PLATE) & Finished Computer Honed To Within .0001'' Straightness & Roundness
Align Hone Main Bearing Bores/Saddles
Square Decked Parallel To Crankshaft
Balanced & Blueprinted
PROFESSIONALLY Assembled

ALL NEW PARTS:

MOPAR #902 HP CYLINDER HEADS (WITH HARDENED EXHAUST SEATS FOR PUMP GAS COMPATIBLITY)!
SPEED PRO / SEALED POWER HP Pistons (9.0:1 Compression)
Hastings HP Rings
COMP CAMS "PURPLE PLUS" HYDRAULIC HP CAMSHAFT (#21-671-4, DURATION @ .050": 239I/246E, LIFT: .484"I/.484"E, LOBE SEPERATION: 108) (ENGINEERED FOR THE BIG BLOCK MOPAR & BETTER VERSION OF MOPAR PERFORMANCE "484" CAM) (NASTY MUSCLECAR LOPE / IDLE YET VERY STREETABLE)!
Speed-Pro HP Lifters
Clevite CL-77 Rod/Main/Cam Bearings
CLOYES/SA GEAR True Roller HP Timing Set
ARP Connecting Rod Bolts (180,000 p.s.i)
MOPAR DUAL-PLANE CAST IRON INTAKE MANIFOLD (AWESOME Low-RPM Torque & High-RPM Horsepower)!
MOPAR Steel Shaft-Style Rocker Arm Set
FEL-PRO Gasket Set
NAPA HP Electronic Distributor
Melling Oil Pump
Melling Oil Pump Pickup Screen
Melling Oil Pump Driveshaft
Specialty Products Oil Pan
MOPAR Harmonic Balancer
MOPAR Cylinder Head Bolts
Elgin HP Pushrods
Pioneer Brass Freeze Plugs
Mechanical Water Pump
Mechanical Fuel Pump
Specialty Products Polished CHROME Valve Covers
Copper State Fasteners (Intake Manifold, Valve Covers, Oil Pan, Waterpump Bolts)
EDELBROCK 750 CFM REMAN. CARBUERTOR (OPTIONAL: ADD $330)
PROCOMP/PROFORM "HP/RACE SERIES" DOUBLE PUMPER 850 CFM NEW CARBURETOR, Procomp's new Race Series mechanical secondary carburetors are HAND ASSEMBLED IN THE USA, utilizing a Procomp high-flow carburetor main body. Features include adjustable screw-in air bleeds, high performance down-leg boosters, a high rate airflow section design, a solid billet throttle baseplate, and an adjustable secondary airflow cam bracket. They also have timed and full vacuum tubes for accessories and ease of tuning, a welded throttle shaft, button Torx head throttle plate screws, power valve blowout protection, slip link mechanical linkage, and more. What does all this add up too? Easy--dyno proven horsepower and torque gains without breaking the bank! (OPTIONAL: ADD $500 & INCLUDES 1" SPACER)
Install This AWESOME Crate Motor In Your MOPAR DODGE PLYMOUTH CHRYSLER CUDA CHALLENGER ROAD RUNNER DART VALIANT SWINGER SATELLITE BELVEDERE FURY SPORT FURY BARRACUDA GTX CORONET SCAMP SAVOY STATION WAGON PICKUP TRUCK D100 D200 STREET ROD 1/2 TON 3/4 TON 1 TON DRAG CAR DRAG PROJECT SPEED BOAT JET BOAT V-DRIVE MARINE Application Or Any Street-Strip Rod/Machine, And Make A Statement When You Open The Hood, And (Or) Nail The Throttle! You Will Surely Enjoy For Years The Performance, Reliability & Awesome Sound This Crate Motor Will Make In Your Street/Strip Machine! This can also be used in place of 6 CYLINDER SLANT 6 273 318 340 383 400 413 426

MARK'S PERFORMANCE ENGINES: (623)388-2834
OPEN 8AM-6PM MST M-F , 8AM-4PM MST SAT

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Someone else will have to take a stab at this one, as I am decidely not the crate motor guy. Don't know and don't care. To me, building the engine is the best part of any build, so why would I pay someone else to enjoy the part that brings me maximum pleasure? Be like paying someone to have sex with my wife... :loco:
Now if they want to take her off of my hands for those few special "Ladies Days" each month, well, we might be able to work something out... :lmao:

:jester:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Its just a rebuild with a cam. Its got quite the cast iron intake :lol: depending on the core price he stands to make a 2-3 grand maybe more allot depends on overhead

moparchris

Reaction score
I'm with Ray, on the engine anyways. :lol:

His lady advice is bound to get him killed. Right Tammy? :lol:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
moparchris said:

I wasn't going to touch that one, I don't need a phone call :lol:

mcmopar

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
Someone else will have to take a stab at this one, as I am decidely not the crate motor guy. Don't know and don't care. To me, building the engine is the best part of any build, so why would I pay someone else to enjoy the part that brings me maximum pleasure? Be like paying someone to have sex with my wife... :loco:
Now if they want to take her off of my hands for those few special "Ladies Days" each month, well, we might be able to work something out... :lmao:

Trust me Ray, all us married guys still have to pay - one way or the other. :yesnod: :yesnod: :jester:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
moparchris said:

I wasn't going to touch that one, I don't need a phone call :lol:

Too late...she's dialing...let's see...um, 1-602... :lol:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Ray wait till she gets older and those few days turn into a few years :crazy: :lol:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
This is what happens when you have HemiBeep on the phone, you're logged on, and you have your back turned... :lol:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
ACME A12 said:
So who is taking me for a few years?????? This is Mrs. Acme.
Oh what the heck I'm a glutton for punishment :lol:

Quote from Mrs. ACME upon seeing this: "I knew I liked him for a reason. Mrs. HemiBeep won't care; she'll be thinking 'WooHoo - I have a shopping partner'"

You're in big trouble, Bob... :lmao:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
There's really no such thing around here as thread hijacking as everyone is so laid back about banter and having fun, but this is a pretty extreme example so I'll throw out the cursory "Sorry for the thread hijack" to our friend Mr. Stansbury just to make sure that we do not offend... :D

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
There's really no such thing around here as thread hijacking as everyone is so laid back about banter and having fun, but this is a pretty extreme example so I'll throw out the cursory "Sorry for the thread hijack" to our friend Mr. Stansbury just to make sure that we do not offend... :D

He should be thankful were keeping it alive :lmao:

bstan70rr

Reaction score
No offense at all. I threw it out there because I was happened upon the motor when I was surfing ebay. Since I haven't a clue as to how much something like that really costs, I thought I would ask yall.

It looks like things were kinda slow around here anyway.

Nothing like a little talk about motors to get yall going. LOL!!!

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
things do get side tracks here sometimes.....bring you engine to a decent engine builder and do it up......this way you know what your getting......some of these crate motors could be junk

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
"Sorry for the thread hijack" to our friend Mr. Stansbury just to make sure that we do not offend... :D

yeah, sure wouldn't wanna offend and run off any more new members would we....... :huh: :acme:
I've never done a rebuild like some of the guys here have done. when we did the 440 for my Charger in '86, we did a stock rebuild. bore 30 over,new pistions,cam,bearings,chain and gears, cleaned up crank. reused rods,bolts. got new clutch/pp,new starter,oil,fuel pumps,rebuilt carb. $1800 including the machine work. I had never rebuilt an engine before, had a buddy of my Dad's that had done several help us. He said the machinist did all the hard work. We did the teardown and reassembly. Pretty easy and lotta fun. Great feeling when it fired up.

Back