• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Venture

mcmopar

Reaction score
Hey guys. Since I have not been working for the last 5 weeks I contacted my old boss to run a proposal by him. He has all kinds of nice tech toys I used to play with when I worked for him so I asked if he'd be interested in renting them out to me in exchange for doing some work for him or a rental fee. He is on board and we will be finalizing plans later this week or early next week. I wanted to run this by you guys to see what you think of my plan so far. Here is the scoop:

Mac’s Digital Services
5436 Halifax Drive
Orlando FL 32812
Phone: 407-965-7545
Fax: 321-248-0137

Drafting Services Featuring AutoCAD Land Development Desktop software (2004, 2008, 2009):
Civil Site/Subdivision Design and Drafting
Survey Drafting
Miscellaneous Drafting
Rates:
Design-Drafting: $25/hour
Drafting only: $20/hour

Document Technical Services:
Conversion of .pdf, .jpg, .tif and HPGL2 files to AutoCAD .dwg or .dxf files.
Conversion of hard copy drawings/prints to digital format: (11x17 and above sizes - monochrome only)
Adobe Format (.pdf)
Encapsulated Post Script (.eps)
FPX Format: (.fpx)
HTML 3.2: (.htm, .html, .htx)
HTML 4.01 with CSS 1.00: (.htm)
JPEG Image: (.jpg, .jpe, .jpeg)
JPEG2000: (.jpf, .jpx, .jp2, .j2k, .j2c, .jpc)
Microsoft Word Document: (.doc)
Microsoft Works Template File: (.wpt)
Microsoft Works Word Processor Document: (.wps)
Microsoft Works 2000 Document: (.wps)
Microsoft Works 4.x: (.wps)
PC Paintbrush Format: (.pcx)
Postscript: (.ps)
Portable Network Graphic: (.png)
Rich Text Format: (.rtf)
Seattle Film Works Format: (.sfw)
STiNG Format: (.stn, .stng)
Sun Raster Image: (.ras)
Targa Image: (.tga, .vda, .icb, .vst)
Text (accessible and Plain): (.txt, csv)
TIFF Format: (.tif, .tiff)
Windows Bitmap: (.bmp)
XML 1.0: (.xml)
XML Data Package Files: (.xdp)
Rate: $1.50 per sheet up to 11x17 size; $2.00 per sheet above 11x17 size. $7.50 minimum on all orders.
Burn to CD/Delivery - add $5.00 for pick-up/$10 for USPS Priority Mail delivery. Additional rates apply for FedEx Overnight shipping.
email to client - no charge.

Printing/Reproduction Services:
8.5x11 - $0.09 per sheet
8.5x14 - $0.13 per sheet
11x17 - $0.50 per sheet
24x36 - $1.00 per sheet (1-100); $0.80 per sheet (101-250); $0.65 per sheet (251-above)
30x42 - $1.35 per sheet (1-100); $1.15 per sheet (101-250); $1.00 per sheet (251-above)
36x48 - $2.00 per sheet (1-100); $1.80 per sheet (101-250); $1.65 per sheet (251-above)

Additional Services:
Convert LP Albums/Cassette Tapes to CD quality digital format and create audio CD’s of your music files: Formats supported: .wav, .mp3, mp3pro, .wma.
Rate: $15 for 2 CD copies.

Convert VHS analog tapes to CD/DVD/Blu-Ray formats.
Rate: $25 per VHS to CD digital conversion; $35 per VHS to DVD digital conversion; $50 per VHS to Blu-Ray digital conversion.

Scan paper photos into digital format for any number of purposes; from slide show presentations or simply for preservation purposes. Editing features available for a number of different presentation purposes.
Rate: $0.35 per photo ($5.00 minimum) - basic rate (no editing). $0.50 per photo ($5.00 minimum) - including editing (resizing, etc).
Burn to CD/Delivery - add $5.00 for pick-up/$10 for USPS Priority Mail delivery. Additional rates apply for FedEx Overnight shipping.

I still have to buy some software for the cad conversion capabilities, video conversion and some more audio editing software as well. I am also going to probably invest in a new computer as my old single core cpu needs to make way for a quad or tri-core setup. I figure it will cost somewhere around $1000 to get all set up, including getting a business address (mail box with address at UPS store if necessary), business licenses and all that jazz.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds really good, John. Do you already have some prospective clients lined up or have some thoughts on where to secure some?

Unrelated - Any word on whether or not the Old Town Cruise folks will let me bring the '74 on Saturday?

Ray

mcmopar

Reaction score
I'll have to start marketing for the business venture. Lots of potential there.

As for the cruise - the rules are '74 and older so you are good to go - but the weather forecast so far has a 50% chance of rain so keep that in mind.

From Old Town's website:
"1. Registration for the Saturday Nite Cruise® is free and open to owners of vehicles registered 1974 or older, and/or to exotics or replicas specifically approved by the Old Town Cruiser Association."

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
that sounds great John, good luck :thumbsup: If I had the spare $, I've got a couple hundred vCR tapes taking up alot of room....... :D

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
mac said:
it all sounds good but whats with the name Mac? :toetap: :toetap: :jester:

Ooh, Ooh, Mr. Kotter, Mr. Kotter... :wave: :wave: :wave:

I know this one...John's last name is McGowan...

:jester:

3BIRDS1X

Staff member
Reaction score
Good luck, I know I would like to find a way to go back and forth from AI files to .DXF or DWG.
art people are not numbers people and it drives me nuts. I kind of have access to "bezarc" once in a while but it turns everything into splines which I have to draw arcs on top of for what I need to do.

mcmopar

Reaction score
3BIRDS1X said:
Good luck, I know I would like to find a way to go back and forth from AI files to .DXF or DWG.
art people are not numbers people and it drives me nuts. I kind of have access to "bezarc" once in a while but it turns everything into splines which I have to draw arcs on top of for what I need to do.

AI files? PM me - I may have a software solution for you to try.

moparmoose3

Reaction score
i read your message bud, and yes a do have a box of about 30 tapes you can have . love the idea. :drive: :drive: :banana: :banana: :banana:

mcmopar

Reaction score
Mac's Digital Services is a go! I searched the State of Florida Fictitious Name database and the name is available. I just spoke with my former boss and he is on board to let me use the office I used to use when I was his employee (lots of electronic goodies there). I have arranged for $3,000 in startup capital in order to buy hardware and software and I will be inquiring about business license fees (city and county) tomorrow. My target date to begin operations is Tuesday, Sept. 1.
I've already had some good conversations concerning the digital conversion of hard copies with a property manager who is also going to turn me on to a number of other property managers as well. I also have a real estate agent contact that I think will be helpful.
About the only thing I need to do is start advertising via email, USPS, etc. to get the word out. Hopefully I'll be busier than I can stand soon! :thumbsup:

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
mcmopar said:
Mac's Digital Services is a go! I searched the State of Florida Fictitious Name database and the name is available. I just spoke with my former boss and he is on board to let me use the office I used to use when I was his employee (lots of electronic goodies there). I have arranged for $3,000 in startup capital in order to buy hardware and software and I will be inquiring about business license fees (city and county) tomorrow. My target date to begin operations is Tuesday, Sept. 1.
I've already had some good conversations concerning the digital conversion of hard copies with a property manager who is also going to turn me on to a number of other property managers as well. I also have a real estate agent contact that I think will be helpful.
About the only thing I need to do is start advertising via email, USPS, etc. to get the word out. Hopefully I'll be busier than I can stand soon! :thumbsup:
Make sure you post a price sheet on here for us. I may need you from time to time....... :thumbsup:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
mcmopar said:

Well you've obviously got an entire group of folks supporting and pulling for you here. I think I can speak for all when I say that we too hope you are soon busier than you can stand... :thumbsup:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
mcmopar said:

Well you've obviously got an entire group of folks supporting and pulling for you here. I think I can speak for all when I say that we too hope you are soon busier than you can stand... :thumbsup:

X2 :beep:

mcmopar

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'll go ahead and post the price sheet here and PM it to anyone who wants one as well.
It's still preliminary but I think its close. I'm having my former boss review it and recommend changes. He should be back with me shortly.
Here is the rundown:

Mac’s Digital Services
5436 Halifax Drive
Orlando FL 32812
Phone: 407-965-7545
Fax: 321-248-0137

Drafting Services Featuring AutoCAD Land Development Desktop software (2004, 2008, 2009):
Civil Site/Subdivision Design and Drafting
Survey Drafting
Miscellaneous Drafting
Rates:
Design-Drafting: $25/hour
Drafting only: $20/hour
Plotting Service - color and monochrome up to 36”x48” size. $1.25 per sq. ft. (monochrome); $5.00 per sq. ft. (color).

Document Technical Services:
Conversion of .pdf, .jpg, .tif and HPGL/HPGL2 files to AutoCAD .dwg or .dxf files.
$2.50 per sheet for simple file conversion; $20/hr for complex conversion (setting colors, layers, linetypes, etc. when converting from non-color original).

Conversion of hard copy drawings/prints to digital archive format:
Adobe Format (.pdf)
Encapsulated Post Script (.eps)
FPX Format: (.fpx)
HTML 3.2: (.htm, .html, .htx)
HTML 4.01 with CSS 1.00: (.htm)
JPEG Image: (.jpg, .jpe, .jpeg)
JPEG2000: (.jpf, .jpx, .jp2, .j2k, .j2c, .jpc)
Microsoft Word Document: (.doc) *
Microsoft Works Template File: (.wpt) *
Microsoft Works Word Processor Document: (.wps) *
Microsoft Works 2000 Document: (.wps) *
Microsoft Works 4.x: (.wps) *
PC Paintbrush Format: (.pcx)
Postscript: (.ps)
Portable Network Graphic: (.png)
Rich Text Format: (.rtf) *
Seattle Film Works Format: (.sfw)
STiNG Format: (.stn, .stng)
Sun Raster Image: (.ras)
Targa Image: (.tga, .vda, .icb, .vst)
Text (accessible and Plain): (.txt, csv) *
TIFF Format: (.tif, .tiff)
Windows Bitmap: (.bmp)
XML 1.0: (.xml)
XML Data Package Files: (.xdp)

* Note: Object Character Recognition scanning service required. $2.50 per sheet.

Rates for non-OCR archiving services:
$0.15 per sheet up to 8.5x14 size (1-250); $0.13 per sheet (251-500); $0.10 per sheet (500 or more).
$0.25 per sheet (11”x17”); 1-250); $0.23 per sheet (251-500); 0.20 per sheet (500 or more).
$1.00 per sheet above 11x17 size.
$7.50 minimum on all orders.
Burn to CD/DVD & Delivery - add $5.00 for pick-up/$10 for USPS Priority Mail delivery. Additional rates apply for FedEx Overnight shipping.

Printing/Reproduction Services:
8.5x11 - $0.09 per sheet
8.5x14 - $0.13 per sheet
11x17 - $0.60 per sheet
24x36 - $1.00 per sheet (1-100); $0.80 per sheet (101-250); $0.65 per sheet (251-above)
30x42 - $1.35 per sheet (1-100); $1.15 per sheet (101-250); $1.00 per sheet (251-above)
36x48 - $2.00 per sheet (1-100); $1.80 per sheet (101-250); $1.65 per sheet (251-above)

Additional Services:
Convert LP Albums/Cassette Tapes to CD quality digital format and create audio CD’s of your music files: Formats supported: .wav, .mp3, mp3pro, .wma.
Rate: $12.50 1st copy / $7.50 for each additional copy (3 copies maximum). Copyright laws prohibit more than 3 copies per customer.

Convert VHS analog tapes to CD/DVD/Blu-Ray formats.
Rate: $20 per VHS to CD digital conversion; $25 per VHS to DVD digital conversion; $35 per VHS to Blu-Ray digital conversion.

Scan paper photos into digital format for any number of purposes; from slide show presentations or simply for preservation purposes. Editing features available for a number of different presentation purposes.
Rate: $0.25 per photo ($5.00 minimum) - basic rate (no editing). $0.50 per photo ($5.00 minimum) - including editing (resizing, etc).
Burn to CD/DVD & Delivery - add $5.00 for pick-up/$10 for USPS Priority Mail delivery. Additional rates apply for FedEx Overnight shipping.

mcmopar

Reaction score
Well, there is no turning back now. I applied for and received my State of Florida Fictitious Name filing and I now have my City of Orlando and Orange County Local Business Tax Receipts. Official opening day is projected for Tuesday, Sept. 1. Now all I need to do is finish off my hardware and software shopping and make some business cards and promo materials. :thumbsup:

Back