• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No flair

Jim S.

Reaction score
What tool do you guys suggest for double flaring brake lines. I am having a hell of a time trying to get good flares with a cheap tool. All the flaring tools I have seen are pretty much the same junk unless I want to spend $300 on a hydraulic one which I will probably only use 3 times in my life. Granted this is not for the RR, I'm working on my winter beater Ford but, I still have to stop, so I can enjoy the RR in the future......

abodybill

Senior Citizen Member
Reaction score
I got mine at NAPA over 25 years ago so it was made in the USA.

You would think any top name brand tool would have a good flaring kit and made in the USA.

Don't think a "cheap one" will do the jump? :cents:

A31PKG

Reaction score
Could you use a pre-fab? Auto parts stores carry brake lines in various lengths already flared with fittings. If the length is too long you can always add a carefully placed bend here and there. :cents:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I have an old NAPA that never fails me. The only trouble I have is when I flair it to far on the first step.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
I use a K-D I bought decades ago.

A couple of things help. Don't use a tubing cutter. It can "work harden" the end of the tube. Cut it square, deburr and use a bit of oil on the flare tool.

I bought some of that green brake line from NAPA that's supposed to bend easier. I read it flares easier too, but I haven't tried it.

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
I bought a Bluepoint off the crap on truck about 15 years ago and have never had an issue getting the flares I want. Have had one or two where I didn't debur the inside and had to redo the flare.

moparchris

Reaction score
Rigid has a nice kit available at the man mall (home depot) it works pretty well. I had a Snap-on one I had wasn't very good.

John69RR

Reaction score
Went to the local Pawn shop yesterday and there was double flare kit for $59.00. No adapters!!!! Told the clerk about it and he pulled it off the shelf. This kit was for copper and aluminum tubing though. It was a Matco kit.

moparchris

Reaction score
John69RR said:
Went to the local Pawn shop yesterday and there was double flare kit for $59.00. No adapters!!!! Told the clerk about it and he pulled it off the shelf. This kit was for copper and aluminum tubing though. It was a Matco kit.
You can buy the adapters seperately from Matco, probably for a million dollars though.

Jim S.

Reaction score
Sometimes I find myself having to do a flair while the lines are on the car. So maybe a hand held hydraulic tool would be best. Still not going to buy one though. Only would get used once every 5 years. Probably find a place to rent it. BTW I finally got the lines leak free after numerous tries with the Chinese flair tool on the goofy Ford... :crazy:

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
I've never used one, but if you're gonna spend $$, this works like the Eastwood tool plus if you buy the dies, you can do other flares.
http://www.tooltopia.com/mastercool...tm_term=MAS71480&utm_campaign=pricegrabber_r1

I've thought a couple times about buying the Eastwood tool myself. I was flaring some 3/8 line last night and was getting a little frustrated. If that tool had been on sale (it does go on sale once in a while, get on their email list) I would have bought it. I tried mine again, spending a little more time and chamfered the ID of the tube with a countersink and used some grease to lube it. I started getting good flares then.

BBillyC

Reaction score
I've been using an old General since I was a kid. I've done lots of double flares with it and I just did the rear lines on the bird when I shortened the rear end a month ago. I thin kit was about 5 bucks then and 5 bucks on the bag now.

Jim S.

Reaction score
BBillyC said:
I've been using an old General since I was a kid. I've done lots of double flares with it and I just did the rear lines on the bird when I shortened the rear end a month ago. I thin kit was about 5 bucks then and 5 bucks on the bag now.

Thanks, I think I'll look for one.... :thumbsup:

Back