• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No Reverse lights -need ideas ASAP

bigmanjbmopar

Reaction score
Are you sure your bird wasn't in a wreck and that's why you have a 68 column? So you know the circuit just cuts off the ground connection to the starter so if the switch in the trans in engaged like while in gear it opens the negative side of the start relay keeping it from stating, on the correct 69 version power to the back up lights ran through the NSS as well as the negative cut off feature. Thus the 3 pin for 69 ;o

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Are you sure your bird wasn't in a wreck and that's why you have a 68 column? So you know the circuit just cuts off the ground connection to the starter so if the switch in the trans in engaged like while in gear it opens the negative side of the start relay keeping it from stating, on the correct 69 version power to the back up lights ran through the NSS as well as the negative cut off feature. Thus the 3 pin for 69 ;o
That's a possibility, but I would also ask what is the build date of the car? If it was an early build it's also possible it could have a '68 column in it. I seem to remember hearing that they would use up left over parts in the next model year cars. But then I could be wrong!!!

bigmanjbmopar

Reaction score
Ouch, mine is Jan 69' LA plant. May also have something to do with column shift and not floor.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I seem to remember hearing that they would use up left over parts in the next model year cars. But then I could be wrong!!!

I've heard that too Steve. that's the golden rule with mopars, never say never

A31PKG

Reaction score
I found some useful information in the 1968 Service manual downloaded from mymopar.com, and one response from a member on another Mopar forum that has me thinking of making a replacement part to fit in the gearshift tube location. The plastic POS lever was never designed to be reused and I can see why Ma Mopar went to the combination NSS and BACK-UP light switch at the transmission midway through 1968. I still would like some help here... If no one on this forum has had to deal with this problem -all I can say is you are some lucky. If you don't work on your own car, that's okay too-but I don't have that luxury. Does ANYONE know a vintage Mopar mechanic that could answer a few questions about reinstalling this switch? ( PN 2857240 ) I think I can fix this but I don't have anyone local to collaborate with.

Could you post a pic or two of what you are dealing with?

MsBeep

Reaction score
So glad you asked...

Here is a pic of the plastic lever and the backup lamp switch it actuated: IMGP0249.jpg

IMGP0249.jpg

MsBeep

Reaction score
These pictures are from the thread on another forum: 5400562-DSC09277rss.jpg - this what the plastic lever fell out of.

This is the switch from the other guys 1969 383 roadrunner: 5400563-DSC09286rs.jpg

and this is what the assembly looks like with the column out of the car: 5402450-newcolumn1.jpg

5400562-DSC09277rss.jpg

5400563-DSC09286rs.jpg

5402450-newcolumn1.jpg

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
serves you right for having a girlymatic.....wait..since you are a girl that fits....:acme::jester:

Last edited:

MsBeep

Reaction score
Are you sure your bird wasn't in a wreck and that's why you have a 68 column? ]

I'm as sure as I can be bigman. All original sheet metal and numbers matching panel stampings. a straight original body and frame. In the 20+ years I've been in a relationship with this car, no accidents or damages incurred. As I have mentioned previously; this is originally a four gear car that was cannibalized for its transmission, clutch assembly and associated linkage. When I bought this car, it already had the steering column for a column shift automatic loosely mated to a manual steering box in place. :( sigh ( there is another story in itself. What car it came out of, or when, I don't know. Not all of us are lucky enough to have an unmolested Mopar to work with. Thanks for your input.

MsBeep

Reaction score
:bump: Steve
Like the old saying goes: "If it's got tits or tires; you're gonna have problems with it"

bigmanjbmopar

Reaction score
In the short 3 years I have had mine, almost every day has been spent un doing what the last two owners did. Glad to see you got it fixed.

MsBeep

Reaction score
In the short 3 years I have had mine, almost every day has been spent un doing what the last two owners did. Glad to see you got it fixed.

"I hear ya", bigmanjb-especially when it comes to un-doing what needs be undone. There has been many times I have asked myself just WTF the previous owner (or his band of monkeys) was thinking when they did what they did.

Just to be clear: I haven't got it fixed yet-LOL!

I posted some pictures of what I'm dealing with (as per A31PKG request) so that you all could see what I'm talking about. The picture in my "so glad you asked" post are the parts I pulled from my car- my steering column is still in place. I only wish I had that new assembly on my shelf!

I am still working on adapting an operating lever (made of metal) and hopefully I'll never have to deal with this problem again. It's got to be better than plastic...

A31PKG

Reaction score
Good pics... Does your '68 trans have the 3-prong switch? Why not run the appropriate wiring and use it? Otherwise, maybe cut the head off of a 1" X 1/4" fine treaded bolt and screw it in the actuator collar hole? Just a couple thoughts...

A31PKG

Reaction score
After re-reading the thread, I think I answered my own question....I'm guessing your car has a '68 trans & steering column? Then nix the switch suggestion....

Back