• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No Reverse lights -need ideas ASAP

MsBeep

Reaction score
Hey guys, I need help figuring out why my reverse lights don't come on when I put the transmission into reverse. The single terminal at the starter relay is connected to a single pin (threaded stud) neutral safety switch located in the A727 transmission housing. Everything worked with the old starter relay (2444442) for an A/T, and I do not have any other wiring for the reverse lights in the bulkhead. I installed a new starter relay, new voltage regulator, new battery charge wire (as per my last thread) and now: no
reverse lights. I suspect the old N.S.S. may have packed it in, but don't know how to test it. Anyone able to help??

Last edited:

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Wrong neutral safety switch.

With a 727, there's 3 connections on the neutral safety switch. One for the starter and the others for the reverse lights.

It should look like this:

PICT1595.jpg

paladin06

Reaction score
Your reverse lights run from reverse light switch to D on the firewall connector out C on the fire wall connector then to position 4 on connector behind the drivers kick panel then to the backup lights. I would check at the firewall connector first. This is the routing for my 69 4 speed.

MsBeep

Reaction score
Your reverse lights run from reverse light switch to D on the firewall connector out C on the fire wall connector then to position 4 on connector behind the drivers kick panel then to the backup lights. I would check at the firewall connector first. This is the routing for my 69 4 speed.
I agree that what you are showing is what SHOULD be in place for an AT equipped car, but my question was: if it worked as wired before why isn't it working with a new starter relay? The old and new SR are identical.
No harness or terminal connectors to the bulkhead since the AT install in 1994. The single pin reverse switch was installed in the new AT as an "adaptation". I had reverse lights with the one pin switch.
Thanks for responding.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
The starter relay has nothing to do with the reverse lights.

Neither does a neutral safety switch with one connection.

69RRBallwinMO

Reaction score
I agree with Palladin06, check the bulkhead connector for the switch harness. Also check to make sure you have the switch harness correctly connected to the starter relay. You may have bumped something accidentally and not getting power to the switch because of it.

4spd69RR

Reaction score
Check for corrosion within the reverse light housing. I had one that had some corrosion preventing the grounds of the bulb from make good contact. Clean it and it worked well afterwards. You can make sure the lever inside the trans is moving to its contact position. With the reverse switch removed, look in the hole and see if the lever is present. If it not present even though you may have heard the cluck noise it not all the way into reverse. You may have to twist the yoke by hand if the car is jacked up, you will hear and see the lever appear.

MsBeep

Reaction score
Hi guys. Here's an update as to why I have no reverse lamps and a single pin NSS switch at the transmission. Also explains why there are no harnesses run through the bulkhead. I found the problem today :mad: I have a 1968 steering column-complete with the 1968 reverse lamp switch, in my 1969 Bird! I never knew until today.

The '68 reverse lamp switch harness is located under the dash, near the switch and is in very good condition. My reverse lamp bulbs, grounds, fuse, and housings all checked out fine. My NSS and SR are no longer suspect and there is no "wrong switch" at the transmission. Just a "wrong" MY steering column that has worked in this case, for more than twenty years without fault.

When I loosened one of three bolts that hold the reverse switch assembly in place (at the bottom of the steering column) the "operating lever" for the back up lamp switch fell into my face. This is a black plastic pin whose "retainer" portion broke.

Does anyone happen to have the replacement pin in their possession? It's O.E. part number is 2883211. This will be a tough fix; but in light of this new information can anyone help?

MsBeep

Reaction score
When I loosened one of three bolts that hold the reverse switch assembly in place (at the bottom of the steering column) the "operating lever" for the back up lamp switch fell into my face. This is a black plastic pin whose "retainer" portion broke. In light of this new information can anyone help?

I found some useful information in the 1968 Service manual downloaded from mymopar.com, and one response from a member on another Mopar forum that has me thinking of making a replacement part to fit in the gearshift tube location. The plastic POS lever was never designed to be reused and I can see why Ma Mopar went to the combination NSS and BACK-UP light switch at the transmission midway through 1968. I still would like some help here... If no one on this forum has had to deal with this problem -all I can say is you are some lucky. If you don't work on your own car, that's okay too-but I don't have that luxury. Does ANYONE know a vintage Mopar mechanic that could answer a few questions about reinstalling this switch? ( PN 2857240 ) I think I can fix this but I don't have anyone local to collaborate with.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I've never had that problem because I bought a '69.......:acme::jester:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
mine don't work either, but I'm pretty sure it just needs the harness from the firewall. It's sitting in the garage for over a year now waiting for the car to get out of paint jail.

Back