• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Odd dual stripe on 69 Road Runners

69Hurstsc

Reaction score
I remember seeing this odd stripe in a book years ago on a red Road Runner. Now here's the same stripe on a White one. I know the factory only offered V6_ and V7_ painted and reflective striping, but has anyone else ever seen this striping on another 69?

apfggy.jpg

69Hurstsc

Reaction score
It's a dual stripe with the bottom being thicker. I haven't seen it in person so I'm not sure if it's painted or reflective tape.

First time I've even seen a two tone.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No clue whatsoever on the stripe...but it looks like a very beautiful bird...

Roadcuda

Reaction score
I don't recall seeing that stripe around here but it is subtle. What I'm wondering, isn't that body crease a little overdone. The one on my car isn't that noticeable.

69Hurstsc

Reaction score
I found the book that I had seen it in before. It's "Sizzling Cars of the 60's". I know I've seen it on other Road Runners as well.

Untitled.png

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
colortrim015.jpg

From our reference section.

A12

Reaction score
:confused:This stripe is on my original Y4 Spanish Gold paint A12 Road Runner and there are photos of it with the stripe going back to 1971????? :confused:

DSC07376E.jpg

:confused:

DSC07376E.jpg

Last edited:

Ranger

Reaction score
OK, we've established the the stripes were an available option, but what about the two tone paint job?

Big John

Reaction score
OK, we've established the the stripes were an available option, but what about the two tone paint job?

Have we?

Per the data book, the "Accent" stripe is a single stripe. The "Sport Stripe" is a dual stripe, but it looks nothing like the pic in the OP.

Sport Stripe:

MS431.JPG

Pretty easy and quite common to add that double pin stripe. Lot's of used car dealers did it too.

If that stripe was OE, it would be paint and wouldn't end with a sharp cut like that one does. It also wouldn't go over that quarter extension seam.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What am I missing on the "two tone paint" part of this discussion? :huh:

Are you saying the Quarter Panel is darker below the stripe? And if so, isn't that just the lighting hitting the QP differently?

Ranger

Reaction score
Well, what I meant was that we have established that accent stripes where an option, but not necessarily that the one pictured in post #1 was OEM.

If that stripe was OE, it would be paint
I can't tell if it is or isn't.

and wouldn't end with a sharp cut like that one does.
Not knowledgeable enough to argue that point, but it sure sounds logical from others I've seen.

It also wouldn't go over that quarter extension seam.
Another good point that sounds very logical. All that plus the two tone paint leads me to believe that the one pictured in post #1 is not OEM.

69Hurstsc

Reaction score
I think calling it two tone is a bit misleading. The accent stripe, as we know, was painted on at the factory. Could this simply be a case of an individual applying another pinstripe above the factory accent stripe? Possibly. Below is an unrestored, original Bahama Yellow wearing original paint and original striping. As you can see the stripe stops before the taillight housing.
2n4o0m.jpg

I'm trying to determine if the dual striping in on the White and Red cars was something applied by the owners or if there was a dealer out there adding them.

Big John

Reaction score
I'm trying to determine if the dual striping in on the White and Red cars was something applied by the owners or if there was a dealer out there adding them.

Every car dealer in the world has added tape stripes. New and used.

I remember looking at new cars in 1968 and the dealer had sprayed this texture coat on the roof of a brand new, station wagon green, Sport Satellite to make it look like a factory vinyl top... basically adding a little something to make a car easier to sell.

In the seventies, every auto shop and K-mart had a big display of different rolls of tape stripes, so anyone could buy and apply the stripes.

In short... Who knows? It could have been either.

Nobody, and I mean nobody, kept these cars stock in appearance or performance. The number of them come up these days as "original" baffles me at times.

Big John

Reaction score
Well, what I meant was that we have established that accent stripes where an option, but not necessarily that the one pictured in post #1 was OEM.

I misunderstood your post. I thought you were saying the double stripe was OEM.

Sorry.

A12

Reaction score
I have never see a thin double on an original '69 Road Runner, GTX from the factory, if the dealer didn't install it then the owner did IMO.

My '68 Road Runner had a white thin painted pinstripe and because it was a St. Louis assembly plant built car with its original fender tag it was on there on the tag under the S with a W at the right end of the second from the bottom line.

MikeR

DSC05951rs.jpg

DSC05951rs.jpg

Last edited:
Back