• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Odd dual stripe on 69 Road Runners

Big D A12

Live Fast!!
Reaction score
I have never see a thin double on an original '69 Road Runner, GTX from the factory, if the dealer didn't install it then the owner did IMO.

MikeR

I agree with Mike on this one. Not factory. Below are the two stripes and the difference between them.

D

69RR_V6W_800.jpg

69RR_V7W_800.jpg

69Hurstsc

Reaction score
Never say never with Chrysler. As we've seen the brochure cars had V6X striping on them. Also, when everyone swore there were no black screens on air grabber cars we've seen that one has been debunked as well.

I'm chasing down the ownership history on both of these cars.

Ranger

Reaction score
Also, when everyone swore there were no black screens on air grabber cars we've seen that one has been debunked as well.

Are you sure those where factory? My first one was black, but that's because I didn't like red and changed it.

A12

Reaction score
0901121919clr.jpg
Never say never with Chrysler. when everyone swore there were no black screens on air grabber cars we've seen that one has been debunked as well.

I'm chasing down the ownership history on both of these cars.

What's the Scheduled Production Date (SPD) on those cars with black screens. IMO I could maybe seen a very, very early SPD car having black or maybe the very LAST SPD car having black as in they had to go to spare parts to finish the cars. The only place that I've heard there were black air grabber grilles was from spare parts and never on the production line.

When you say this was "debunked" who be the debunkee and where is their proof. Just because they are black air grabber grilles doesn't mean they were put on during production line assembly.

How about this one for debunking....I have a friend that ordered and purchased a '69 GTX convertible new in 1969 and ordered the air grabber system and when it arrived low and behold there were the RED air grabber grilles when he opened the hood to check out the air grabber here is what he found. BTW he still owns the car and he swears the RED grilles were there the day he picked it up at the dealership. He's a retired commercial airline pilot and still flies vintage aircraft for a well known air museum and has no need to make up any stories......

In one way this shows the NEVER SAY NEVER :huh: :crazy: :lol: :jester: but for me another case of RED and only RED air grabber grilles unless they were purchased from a dealer through spare parts.

Here's the engine compartment and why he was surprised that he had RED air grabber grilles and no........

0901121919clr.jpg (Air Grabber NOT available with A/C oops)

And if you search hard enough you will find the Plymouth ad that calls out the RED air grabber grilles and states that this indicates the air grabber option when they are RED grilles.

OOPS, sorry back to the dual thin pinstripes and BTW what or where can I find the option code for the dual thin stripes.....every option had to have an option code or how would anyone be able to order them??

0901121919clr.jpg

Last edited:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Back in the day anything bolted or screwed on could be swapped at the dealer. I like this car but those wheels, OK we can do that. Now you have two mixed up cars

69Hurstsc

Reaction score
View attachment 9917

What's the Scheduled Production Date (SPD) on those cars with black screens. IMO I could maybe seen a very, very early SPD car having black or maybe the very LAST SPD car having black as in they had to go to spare parts to finish the cars. The only place that I've heard there were black air grabber grilles was from spare parts and never on the production line.

When you say this was "debunked" who be the debunkee and where is their proof. Just because they are black air grabber grilles doesn't mean they were put on during production line assembly. Fair question. My rebuttal is the testing session that Joe Oldham conducted, along with the numerous stories from original Road Runner owners who swore that their cars came with the black screened inserts w/ the Air Grabber optioned. As far as documentation I don't have any, but will be chasing for the book.

How about this one for debunking....I have a friend that ordered and purchased a '69 GTX convertible new in 1969 and ordered the air grabber system and when it arrived low and behold there were the RED air grabber grilles when he opened the hood to check out the air grabber here is what he found. BTW he still owns the car and he swears the RED grilles were there the day he picked it up at the dealership. He's a retired commercial airline pilot and still flies vintage aircraft for a well known air museum and has no need to make up any stories......

In one way this shows the NEVER SAY NEVER :huh: :crazy: :lol: :jester: but for me another case of RED and only RED air grabber grilles unless they were purchased from a dealer through spare parts.

Here's the engine compartment and why he was surprised that he had RED air grabber grilles and no........

View attachment 9917 (Air Grabber NOT available with A/C oops)

And if you search hard enough you will find the Plymouth ad that calls out the RED air grabber grilles and states that this indicates the air grabber option when they are RED grilles.

OOPS, sorry back to the dual thin pinstripes and BTW what or where can I find the option code for the dual thin stripes.....every option had to have an option code or how would anyone be able to order them??
Again, the "option" would have been that it wasn't optioned, but installed at Chrysler for photo ops. Imagine if those two RR's with the V6X striping made it out of Chrysler and into private hands? Granted, it's only a silly stripe, but imagine trying to prove that it was "original" to the car?

69Hurstsc

Reaction score
FYI I believe I've found the names of the photographer (Sam Griffith) and owner (Robert Beechy). So far I've been unable to locate either.

Does anyone recognize this RR convertible?

I found the book that I had seen it in before. It's "Sizzling Cars of the 60's". I know I've seen it on other Road Runners as well.

Untitled.png

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Pretty sure I know Sam. He use to free lance write for car magazines, one being HMM.

Last edited:

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Hmmm... Full horn ring, A/C, belt line chrome and right mirror. No black out on the hood. Not a lot of Roadrunners like that. Early car too.

Big John

Reaction score
The stripe on the red car is about 3/4" lower than on the white car. Hard to tell from the pic, but it looks a bit lower than the single stripe on the bahama yellow car.

I've watched them do paint stripes on cars on Chrysler assembly lines. Fascinating to watch. It's all done with jigs that hang off the side of the car. A guy holds a Beuglar striper into a slot on the jig and walks the length of the car.

I don't believe that either car is any evidence of a factory applied double stripe.

69Hurstsc

Reaction score
I don't believe that either car is any evidence of a factory applied double stripe.

I probably agree with you here. But, if someone showed you their original V6X striped car you would most likely note the factory never applied that. Obviously there's two variants of what the "Factory" did, production line and prototype. Either way, fun to talk about. Hopefully I/We can track down the owner of the RM27 car and find out some of its history.

I'm going to see if I can locate the owner of the White car.

Big John

Reaction score
Note the bondo around the side marker opening. Clearly not an original paint car.

69Hurstsc

Reaction score
It's an original paint car. I've seen over 20 photos of this car. Many of them had filler added due to accidents or rust.

Note the bondo around the side marker opening. Clearly not an original paint car.

Big John

Reaction score
It's an original paint car. I've seen over 20 photos of this car. Many of them had filler added due to accidents or rust.

I guess your definition of an original paint car is greatly different than mine.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
and mine. didn't realize the Chrysler assembly line was so slow in '69 that the cars were rusting out before production was complete....

69Hurstsc

Reaction score
Wow. ANY car wearing it's factory paint, regardless of rust is still an original paint car. Funny, I guess based on your opinion any car that's ever had touch up work done (virtually all of them) isn't by YOUR definition an original paint car. Looks like I'll have to strike out the comment on the 9,000 mile Road Runner in my book as an "original paint car".

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
This makes me laugh, I told a guy last weekend mine was a survivor except for the paint interior and drive train and he looked at me like, OK :lol:

Back